DetailsSavor the whole grain goodness of spelt, an ancient relative of durum wheat that originated in the Near East over 8,000 years ago. This heirloom grain later spread throughout Europe, becoming especially popular in Germany, where it was farmed throughout the Middle Ages. Our whole grain Spelt Flour is freshly milled on cool and slow turning, century-old stone-buhr millstones. Spelt has a unique nutty flavor and, because of its high water solubility, its vital nutrients are quickly absorbed into the body.
Spelt has never been hybridized, so it has retained many of its original characteristics from antiquity, including complex flavor and whole-grain nutrition. Spelt is unusual because it can be more easily digested than other forms of wheat, and some people with wheat intolerances may be able to tolerate spelt; however, spelt is not gluten free. High in fiber and a good source of iron and manganese, our spelt flour is incredibly nutritious.
Bob's Red Mill Stone Ground Spelt Flour can be used in most recipes calling for wheat flour, especially yeast and quick breads. Spelt flour makes excellent pasta, cookies and other baked goods.
- Related Products
Customer Reviews 4 item(s)
- I will never used whole wheat flour again!
This spelt flour is amazing! It is so much more flavorful then whole wheat flour. It has a complex, nutty, slightly sweet taste that I use in everything! It makes great scones, tortillas, breads, anything that calls for wheat. Make sure you read up on it, there are a few things you should keep in mind when baking items that require you to create gluten bonds. From my experience, it generally takes less liquid to get your dough to the right consistently, and you have to be a little more aware of your kneeding time in order to keep your baked good from getting crumbly (there is a sweet spot). It is worth paying a little more attention for the massive payback in flavor! This was my best impulse buy in a long time (8 bags ago).
- I used this in a vegan chocolate chip cookie recipe which called for half spelt flour and half wheat flour and it came out fantastic!this is my first time using spelt flour!
- Will be my special go to flour .
- Made your muffin recipe with brown sugar and it was good with jelly or jam. The second time I made the muffins I used honey and added chopped dates. Wow that made the muffins super delicious. My husband raved about them all day. Will be making them this weekend when daughters and grandsons are here.
- So useful, good substitute.
- I use the spelt flour in place of wheat flour in recipes and it's perfect!
- Nutritional Info
Serving Size: 1/4 cup (30g)
Servings Per Container: 22
Amount Per Serving % Daily
ValueCalories120Calories from Fat10
Total Fat1 g2 %Saturated Fat0 g0 %Trans Fat0 g0 %Cholesterol0 mg0 %Sodium1 mg0 %Total Carbohydrate22 g7 %Dietary Fiber4 g16 %Sugars0 gN/AProtein4 g8 %
Vitamin A0 %Vitamin C0 %Calcium0 %Iron8 %
* Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
whole grain spelt (wheat)
*Manufactured in a facility that also uses tree nuts, soy, wheat, and milk