Steel Cut Oats are simply whole oat groats that have been cut into neat little pieces on a steel buhr mill. We use high protein, whole grain oats that have been lightly toasted to create our hearty steel cut oats. Also known as Irish oats or pinhead oats, steel cut oats create a chewy, full-bodied hot cereal.
Steel Cut Oats have always been a universal customer favorite at Bob’s Red Mill. Their robust oat flavor, texture and ease of preparation plus proven nutritious benefits and cholesterol reduction make them a perfect breakfast. A few years back we learned of the World Championship Porridge Competition in Scotland called the “Golden Spurtle.” At that point we had yet to discover the spurtle – a centuries-old Scottish wooden porridge stirring implement.
The Bob’s Red Mill team traveled to Carrbridge, Scotland to compete in the Golden Spurtle World Porridge Championship. We competed against fourteen other teams from around the globe. Our team’s belief in our porridge skills and our consistently superior oats never wavered. That crisp October morning all teams paraded through town behind a bagpipe band. After three heats of competition, we remained one of five finalists. All five finalists prepared their traditional recipe – oats, salt and water – for the judges. Finally, the announcement: “Bob’s Red Mill, is the new Golden Spurtle World Porridge Champion.”
The Bob’s Red Mill Steel Cut Oats we knew to be superior were now proven the “WORLD’S BEST”. The simple, winning recipe using oats, salt and water is on our package so you can make the World’s Best Oatmeal® at home.
We had so much fun at the Golden Spurtle, that we began The Spar for the Spurtle™: the ultimate oatmeal throw down so we could share the fun with our customers. Spar for the Spurtle™ asks customers to submit their recipes using steel cut oats for a chance to win a trip to Scotland to compete in the Golden Spurtle Championship on our behalf. Learn more about this fun competition at www.sparforthespurtle.com and throw your hat in the ring!
Oats are a notoriously healthy breakfast choice, being high in soluble fiber and protein. They are also incredibly versatile. Steel cut oats can be used to make risotto, pilaf, dumplings, arancini and more! Browse our extensive collection of recipes using our steel cut oats here.
Customer Reviews 52 item(s)
- My wallet is as happy and I am
I usually purchase steel cut oats at the local grocery and discount stores. However, those sold in the grocery stores are so very expensive and the discount stores can't always keep them in stock. I'll be purchasing directly from Bob's in the future. Thanks so much for the world's best steel cut oats and terrific pricing!!!
- This is not your mom's squishy mush!
- All my life I've been gagging on what I thought was oatmeal! Hated it, but I choked it down for the health benefits. THIS is the real deal! No gagging! I threw some walnuts and flax seed meal in, added my French Vanilla International Coffee creamer (that's just a personal preference, but oh so delish), and went to town! No mushy mess here!
- Great raw!
- I love the steel cut oats cooked and mixed with fresh fruit. When in a hurry I don't skip out on my favorite oats, but instead eat them raw! Mixed with fruit, nuts, Bob's Red Mill flaxseed and some almond milk it is delicious. The cool thing is I do not get hungry for hours, well into my lunch hour. Love the quality product.
- I could LIVE on these!!!! EXCELLENTE'!!
- I will never ever eat any other kind or type of oatmeal again and like it as much as I do these!!!
- Love this stuff!
- I have been trying to eat more healthfully over the past few years and had been eating regular rolled oats. I had been hearing a lot about steel cut oats over the years and finally decided to give it a try, so I picked up some Bob's at my local grocery store. This stuff is fantastic! I love the chewy texture and nutty flavor and it fills me up for most of the morning! I make a big batch in the
- I eat them RAW!!
- I actually eat these raw with juice or milk(I use almond milk)just like a regular bowl of cereal. It is very satisfying-especially because of all the chewing. Often I will smash a banana through them and/or some peanut butter, and add no liquid at all. It makes a granola texture and flavor.
- Crock pot favorite
- I put steel cut oats in the crock pot with some water and apple juice for six+ hours and it was great!
- this is good stuff!
- I recently discovered steel cut oats and I have got to say that I LOVE them! The store had several brands to choose from, so I tried Bob's, as I had previous good luck with thie brand. I was not disappointed. I like mine with a bit of brown sugar and a banana on top, but after reading the comments from others, I can hardly wait to try other ways! I am singing the praises of steel cut oats!
- Love Steel Cut Oats!
- [...] my family loves slow cooker steel cut oats! [@]
- I am an oatmeal lover and also like the fact that it is good for me. I have heard and read that steel-cut oats are better than regular oats. While grocery shopping a few days ago I happened upon this brand and decided to try it. Let me just say I was pleasantly surprised by not only the taste but the texture. I don't think I can go back to plain oats after trying this one. Very delicious and
- I used to eat oatmeal every morning, partly to help moderate my high cholesterol. About a year ago, I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes but thinking oatmeal was healthy, I kept eating it 6 times a week. Then, I heard a radio program on foods diabetics should avoid, and oatmeal was one of those foods (especially "instant" oatmeal). Instead, steel cut oats was recommended. I was unable to find s
- Eating a bowl now and love it!
- Like alot of these people, I've tried and failed at eating oatmeal. I've tried the instant and I just couldn't ever stomach. But this product I like. Now this is good. Will be buying this again!
- Our family loves Bob's Steel Cut Oats! We eat them about twice a week for breakfast. They will even reheat well in the microwave IF you have leftovers. I will add dried or fresh apples, cranberries, banana (fresh), other berries, a little bit of butter and a little brown sugar or honey to the oats. I usually add the fruit with about 5 minutes left to cook and I add the butter and sweetener onc
- delicious - oatmeal convert
- never ever liked oatmeal. but now that i am a big girl of 40+ thought it time to start eating. this is AWESOME. encouraged by a friend and I tried reluctantly. you can "spruce" it up any way you want. i eat with a little agave syrup, a 1/2 tsp of honey and a banana. very filling. MY HUSBAND likes molasses, and sometimes chocolate chips and/or peanut butter. sometimes he eats it just plain.
- I have never been a fan of oatmeal. I dreaded the mornings I would be presented with a bowl of mushy, sticky, bland mess. No matter how mom and dad dressed it up, I didn't like it. Don't even get me started on 'instant' oatmeal.||In a recent bid to get 'healthy', I re-visited this childhood dish, and it wasn't as bad as I remembered, but still not great.||Yesterday I discovered Bob's Red Mill Stee
- The Real MacCOY
- Being Scottish I am only too glad to have found the Real thing in N.America.This is the CREME de la CREME of all PORRIDGES (Oatmeals).I tried many many others but this is "THE REAL ONE" in ALL aspects.I buy the 25lb Bag and have just brought on board 4 other friends who also buy the 25lb bags saves on [...].My cholesteral took a dive after I started and I now feel great. I had both Prostate and C
- Dr. Oz was right!
- I am a healthy eater and while watching Dr. Oz on Oprah a few years ago, I learned about steel cut oats. He was right...they are awesome! I haven't tried other brands, but I can't imagine anything being as good as your product is. It is incredibly satisfying and really stays with you throughout the day. On Sunday evening, I make two batches per package instructions. When almost done, I add a
- WONDERFUL! SIMPLY WONDERFUL!
- BREAKFAST CEREAL - usually with creamery butter, local honey, and milk
- WORLD CHAMPION - NO DOUBT
- Okay, I am always a bit hesitant to try any "health food" and am skeptical of any alleged health benefit. Simply put - I am all concerned about taste and quality. I have often been an eggs and bacon type of guy.||However, I have become addicted to steel cut oats and eat about 4 times a week. I must say I have been feeling like a WORLD CHAMPION mirroring the award received from this product. I
- Easy no-cooking overnight recipe!
- I prepare this in an insulated food jar the night before and it's ready to eat in the morning or to take with you!||For 1 serving, into jar add 1/2-1 teaspoons cinnamon (the flavor will infuse into the oats), raisins or cut up apples (if desired), 2-3 tablespoons oats (depending on the thickness you like), then fill the jar to the top with boiling water (about 3/4-1 cup boiling water) put on seale
- My new fave!
- Recently when my usual source wasn't getting Irish steel-cut oats, I switched to yours. WOW! So much better in taste and texture, you have me for life! Steel-cut oats has been my breakfast for decades. I usually set it up the night before (1C water to 1/4C steel-cut oats), cover, set aside, and it cooks beautifully on the stove next morning while I'm getting dressed. Special treat on weekends?
- Awesome breakfast choice
- I love this product. I have been cooking 1 cup of the oats with 4 cups of silk vanilla soy milk light in a crock pot. Easy to reheat in microwave throughout the week. I also like to add apple or banana slices with a little bit of maple syrup and pumpkin pie spice (or cinnamon). I found it is also more flavorful than the store brand oats I used to buy.
- Put them in a small crock pot.
- Google Alton Brown overnight oatmeal.Comes out great and your ready to eat and go in the morning.The 1.5 proctor- silex is perfect.
- Who Knew I Liked Oatmeal?
- I thought I hated oatmeal then, I discovered these steel-cut oats. I make a special trip to [...] when I run out just to buy them. They are that good. YUM! Please keep up the great work!
- Down 25 pounds in 9 months!
- I cook steel cut oats in the microwave. Use a deep bowl with a cover on it. 1/3 cup oats with 2/3 cup water. Cook in a 1200 watt microwave for 6 minutes at 40% power. Let it stand for a minute or two. I add 1/2 container of fruit yogurt.||I put it into the microwave and get it going, then take a shower and by the time I'm out it is done. It usually fills me up so that I don't eat again until
- Great stuff
- Great alternative to the typical Irish oatmeal--I have made a permanent switch to Bob's. Very good flavor and easy to prepare. Don't agree that you can cook these for 10 minutes and get edible al dente porridge, per the instructions. I like to start off with about 5 minutes uncovered to set the oats nicely and cook down the water and then I follow the covered cooking direction, with a total cookin
- Ed and his Oats
- My husband was amazed with this type of Oats, however, none to say we would eat seconds! We ate for health reasons. This Steel Cut Oats change the way we eat Oats now. When I bought the bag of Oats I thought my husband was not even going to try it. WRONG! He loves the Steel Cut Oats now. I am so pleased. Thank You very much! I ate two bowls!?*! I LOVE THE OATS!!!!!!! My family waits for new things
- the best hot cereal I have ever eaten!
- Breakfast is 100% better and healthier. We are totally addicted. There are NO "things that aren't so great about it. It is the best ever.
- My favorite breakfast
- I just switched from Old Fashion to Steel-Cut oatmeal. I love the texture. Oatmeal has become our main breakfast and my pantry has an official "oatmeal bar". Always on hand I have air-tight containers that have dried cranberries, sliver toasted almonds, dry toasted pecan pieces and brown sugar. (If we have fresh apples, peaches or strawberries, I'll use them for a treat - cut into small pieces.)|
- It's Not Just For Breakfast
- Steel cut oats aren't just for breakfast. They're a staple in Scotland and make a delicious and satisfying side dish known as Skirlie. Just saute in a little oil with onions and add just enough stock (or water) to slightly moisten. This becomes a pilaf-like, chewy side that is wonderful. If you like spicier foods, add cajun seasonings or whatever you like.
- Our favorite oatmeal, hands down
- I had my husband pegged for an instant oatmeal type of guy, (he operates pretty last-minute a lot of time), but was shocked to find he'll willingly get out of bed 30 minutes early several times a week to make Bob's steel cut oats instead. He's got such a taste for "the good stuff", that he won't even touch the instant brands. It's so amazing to wake up to a pot of hot steel cuts on the stove!
- Perfect! Chance for organic steel cut?
- I love these steel cut oats for any meal of the day really! Everything about them is great, but I'd love to see organic steel cut oats, how about it Bob? Thanks for a great product and keep up the good work!||J-
- Bang for the Buck
- I use 1 bag per week. My husband and I have it every single morning for breakfast. Where are you going to find the quality and taste that serves 2 people breakfast for a week for under $3.00 and not to mention how healty it is for you.|Best part I use a small crock pot and prepare it the night before. For 2 servings:|1/2 cup steel cut oats|2 cups water|1/4 cup half and half|combine all ingredients
- SOAKED AND UNCOOKED-BEST BREAKFAST EVER
- THE BEST BREAKFAST!! I don't cook mine. I soak the oats overnight in water with lemon juice. In the morning, I rinse and drain. Then I make it into a sort of cereal. I cut up some green apple and add flaked unsweetened coconut and some agave nectar...then a splash of almond milk and you have the BEST BREAKFAST EVER!!!!
- Best oatmeal ever!
- I love this oatmeal....it's one of my favorite breakfasts. So much better than those slimy old quick or instant oats from the grocery store. (Not sure what Bob's rolled oats are like, but I'm sure they're better than the grocery store ones.) Anyway, I probably won't ever go back to rolled oats again. This stuff just has an amazing texture, you can actually feel like you've eaten something beca
- These are great!
- These are great eating. Oatmeal isn't so much about taste as it is texture. Bob's Mill Steel Cut oats have an incredible satisfying texture. Eat a bowl of these for breakfast and you feel like you've eaten real food. They're also great for carrying flavors. I've made them with various kinds of fruits and berries, with different sweeteners like honey or molasses, and with other spices like cinnamon
- These steel cut oats are ...
These steel cut oats are wonderful! I eat them every morning! If you like oatmeal...you'll LOVE steel cut oats!
- Just on ABC's \"Dr. Oz\" ...
Just on ABC's "Dr. Oz" show: Steel cut oats as daily breakfast assist one guest in dropping over 100 lbs.
- Since being diagnosed ...
Since being diagnosed with Diabetes, I have been looking for a good breakfast product. These are wonderful and filling. Also, I can cook ahead and have them all week.
- I try to have a good ...
- I try to have a good breakfast every morning. Now that I have tried Bob's steel cut oats, I can have a great breakfast every morning. I will never eat rolled oats again...
- Like eating this and ...
- Like eating this and leaves you satisfied for hours.
- Absolutely delicious, ...
- Absolutely delicious, absolutely healthy! This is such a great breakfast food! The young ones even like it! My diabetic mother eats them because of Steel Cut Oats' lower glycemic index. We, too will never go back to rolled.
- Have eaten rolled oats ...
- Have eaten rolled oats for years... wish I had discovered steel cut sooner. Good stuff!!
- I am 65 years old and ...
- I am 65 years old and have been eating oatmeal since it was forced on me when I was a kid. You know.(its health for you). Not to mention cheap. Over the years I have grown to love it. But Nothing compares too your steel cut oats. What A great flavor. I don't even use milk. Thanks for A great product. Joe.
- My hubby and I love the ...
- My hubby and I love the steel cut oats. We use out rice cooker to make them - we have a great breatfast almost like magic. The "crunchy" texture really make your mouth happy!
- I never could stomach ...
- I never could stomach "regular" oatmeal and then I tried steel cut oatmeal. Wow! I love it and eat it every morning.
- AWESOME!!! I make them in ...
- AWESOME!!! I make them in my rice cooker every morning. I never thought I would be eating oatmeal every morning till I bought this rice cooker and I read online about making 3/4 cup oats to 1 1/2 cups water. Plug it in...hit cook and let it do it's thing. I love them I love them I love them! I just wish I could find them easier!
- I love your \"World ...
- I love your "World Champion" steel cut oats! I make up a batch once a week and then warm up a portion each morning. I follow your exact recipe for a great taste. Topped with Agave Nectar (great for diabetics), it's the best.
- I Love these! Typically I ...
- I Love these! Typically I eat Bob's rolled oats during the week to save on cooking time and on the weekends I treat myself to these!! Favorite breakfast food!
- We make a huge batch ...
- We make a huge batch Sunday nice, portion it out into daily servings for the busy week. Top with Almond Milk and a little honey or agave nectar.
- I was a rolled oats ...
- I was a rolled oats fanatic! Now, after having eaten steel cut oats, my wife wants to know what to do with the rolled ones!!
- I just wanted to tell you ...
- I just wanted to tell you that my 9-year old son and I recently made the switch from Quaker Instant Oatmeal to your award-winning Steel-cut Oats. He can't get enough of them. Just this morning he heard me cooking and he jumped out of bed, ran down and the stairs, and declared that he could eat porriage for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. He also mentioned that if I wanted him to be good, giving him
- Nutritional Info
Serving Size: 1/4 cup dry (44g)
Servings Per Container: 15
Amount Per Serving % Daily
ValueCalories170Calories from Fat25
Total Fat3 g5 %Saturated Fat0.5 g3 %Trans Fat0 g0 %Cholesterol0 mg0 %Sodium0 mg0 %Total Carbohydrate29 g10 %Dietary Fiber5 g20 %Sugars0 gN/AProtein7 g14 %
Vitamin A0 %Vitamin C0 %Calcium2 %Iron10 %
* Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
whole grain oats
*Manufactured in a facility that also uses tree nuts, soy, wheat, and milk