NEW AND IMPROVED RECIPE
Our endlessly popular Gluten Free Brownie Mix was reformulated and repackaged in 2015 to bring you even moister, richer, brownies with an improved taste and texture! Just follow three simple steps on the back of the package and you’ll have warm and delicious gluten free brownies in only about 30 minutes! All you need from your kitchen is 3 eggs and ½ cup butter. These brownies are stellar on their own, but we like to encourage creativity, so make them your own by adding your favorite mix-ins. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Nuts: walnuts, pecans, or almonds
- Baking chips: chocolate, peanut butter, white chocolate, mint, or butterscotch
- Nut butters: peanut, almond, or cashew – drizzle nut butter over brownie batter in the pan; use a knife to swirls
- Dried fruits: cherries, raspberries, currants, coconut flakes
- Spices and flavors: Cinnamon, orange extract, instant coffee powder, cayenne pepper powder
- Related Products
Customer Reviews 81 item(s)
These turned out delicious! I added chopped pecans and baked them until a toothpick came out mostly clean. They were a huge hit - shouldn't have told anybody they were made from a mix!
Very disappointed the old version is no longer available. Maybe you could bring it back, and label it as chocolate cake or something like that. This is what we used for my son's birthday cake and he loved it.
- Still a great product.
I have had both the new and the old recipe. They are significantly different to the point where I have found that I need to bake them slightly different. My favorite baking method for the new recipe leads to a soft centered brownie with slightly crisp edges. Still probably my favorite gluten free desert and a must have in our house.
To get the best results (for me) I use a kitchenaid mixer and froth up the batter a bit by mixing on med-high for a couple of minutes.
- Not good
Used to be the best brownies out there. The new mix doesn't work well at all. Yuck!
- New Version Terrible
No!!! Loved the old version, told people to try it but not anymore. New version is terrible.
- GF - not so bad after all.
I have never had what everyone else is claiming to be a previous version of this mix. However, I didn't realize it was gluten free until I got it home. They turned out a lot like a "scratch" version I have made for years where the batter is almost fudge-like. I found them to be just fine, but since I don't seek out GF products, will probably not purchase again.
- Not a fan of the new recipe.
Very disappointed with the new recipe. We loved the old recipe and would bring them to family gatherings. I just made a batch to bring to Christmas dinner but they are gritty, overly sweet, and gummy texture. I could not even cut them up at all without them sticking to the knife and getting all messed up. I won't be buying these anymore:-( Miss the old brownies!
- Not an improvement...
Such a discouraging change...gritty, poor texture, and too sweet...this was achieved following the exact directions...
- Heartbroken in Montana
Used to be my favorite brownie mix. Can no longer have it with the changed ingredients. Used to buy all the time but now can't buy at all due to new ingredients.
- Gluten free brownie mix
So disappointed to have the recipe changed :( Pretty much every other gluten free brownie mix on the market is made with rice flour and our family can no longer have the new recipe. We really wish you would bring back the old recipe it was so good.
- won't be buying this one again
Please bring back the old recipe. We buy all your products. This one is very disappointing.
- Absolutely horrible especially compared to the original!
These brownies are actually quite horrible and when compared to the original recipe they are almost not palatable. Why change the previous recipe. I use to buy the original recipe in bulk, I will no longer purchase these. Please change them back, the previous recipe was the one food I ate that tasted better than the version with gluten. So utterly disappointed......
- They let us down.
Horrible, they ruined a good thing. I've been using their brownie mix for years, this was so thick I couldn't mix it with my electric mixer and nearly burned up the motor. I added unsweetened applesauce just to get it mixed. I'm done, will find a recipe to make from scratch and sugar won't be the primary ingredient.
- Finally Soy-Free!
Love the new recipe!!!!!! Thank you for taking out the soy!
- Why change what was amazing???
I am so disappointed in the new recipe. My entire family loved the old recipe and I took the brownies everywhere and got so many compliments. Clearly this recipe no longer works egg free (it would be helpful to have this marked since that is a change) either. These are gritty and not nearly as rich as the previous recipe.
- You should not have changed the recipe!!!!
I wish you didn't change the recipe. This was my go to brownie. .. not anymore. Dang!!!!
- Good and bad
You should keep both sugar free and sugar full but keep them as separate products. The lady at my supermarket said if a company changes the ingredients in a product they need to change the name because it's no longer the same product.
- not good
I liked the original not this one. Bring the original one back please.
- huge let down
What a huge let down the new recipe is! It's now too sweet and too cakey. Please bring back the dense rich flavored ones...until then I'll have to look for a new product.
- If it's not broke don't fix it.
I have been eating the old recipe for several years. Was excited to see new packaging and didn't realize that the recipe had changed until I made a batch tonight. Disappointed they were dry and gritty and taste nothing like their gooey predecessor.
- New recipe is a disappointment
Please bring back the old recipe.
- The original brownie mix was fantastic. The ingredient mix and cooking instructions have completely changed. It does not work with eggless substitutions. Notice that the first ingredient is the mix is now sugar!
I used to love this brownie mix but the ingredient mix has been completely changed. It does not work with eggless substitutions. The first ingredient in the mix is sugar! Very dissapointed.
- Don't fix what isn't broken!
Why have you changed your recipe? Yes, this is one of your top-selling products, so why change the recipe? The ingredients are completely different with too much sugar and refined sugar at that!
- Fudgy Goodness
I love these Brownies!!!! They are like eating a piece of fudge Heaven. I have had and made several batches of brownies in the past being a chocoholic. These remind me of flourless chocolate cake.
- FABULOUS CHOCOLATE BROWNIES
- Recently diagnosed with Celiac and thought I'd never have a great dessert again. Boy was I wrong. So easy to make. I made these for my son's birthday and he is a brownie expert and didn't know they were gluten free, he loved them. He was surprised to see me eat one, he thought I was cheating. My grandchildren loved them and wanted more. I'm so happy I have found them, will buy them again and again. The whole pan was gone in minutes!!
- This brownie mix is super fudgy and tastes as good as (if not better than) brownie mix with gluten. We add GF chocolate chips and I typically garnish with fresh strawberries. The tart/acidic punch of the berry over the rich chocolaty taste of the brownie is awesome. The only con is that they give my husband gas. But he also eats half the pan.
- Since discovering several months ago that gluten was responsible for the digestive problems I had been experiencing, I have not had a decent baked good. Just when I was getting desperate enough to bake gluten-laden brownies, I discovered Bob's Red Mill. They are full of gooey, chocolate goodness! I recommend not fiddling with the pan size, unless you REALLY like fudgy brownies, because this mix makes a larger batch than traditional boxed mixes. I did discover that it is not as sweet as traditional mixes and plan to add a little powdered sugar next time. Overall though, it really hit the spot and I will definitely be using it again.
- Richer and more moist by adding honey
- My brother-in-law made these brownies for Christmas! Everyone loved them whether they needed GF or not. He added honey to make them moist and rich. Yum! The only person who had a problem with them was allergic to corn, which is another common allergy. Too bad they're not cornfree as well. Then everyone would be happy!
- 6 yr old loves the gf brownies!
- new to wheat/egg/milk free diet for son w/ allergies. said he wanted brownies tonight broke my heart b/c i figured these gf brownies wouldn't make him happy, but they did! literally thanking God for Bob's Red Mill gf brownies tonight. nothing better than a happy mom of a happy kiddo. (used egg replacer powder/water instead of egg. i liked the brownies & other kids did, too.)
- Great product, would not have known it was GF! We followed the directions from packaging, can't wait to try some alterations!
- Absolutely delicious!
- I've been eating gluten free for increased fertility for a few months now, and these are great for those of us suffering from flour and pastry withdrawals! I've had a few other "desserts" which always leave you attempting to explain the flavor and texture to the others around you scarfing down red velvet cupcakes. These are great, they taste fantastic, and everyone in the family will actually eat them! Two thumbs up!
- Best brownies ever! I'll second that!
- The first time I made these, I made adjustments to the basic recipe based on my experience with other brownies (and ingredients on hand). I used olive oil and sea salt butter very soft at room temp (not melted), and added instant coffee to the warm water... Both intensified chocolate flavor. I did use the mini choc chips, too. Everything in my stand mixer, voila, gluten free goodness! These are addictive! Can't wait to bring them to an event to share, but this first batch is all mine!
- AMAZING! SO SUPRISED!
- These are by far, hands down, the best brownies I have ever had....EVER! So chocolately, half cake like half stodgy...amazing. I will only make these from now on.
- Very Surprised how good these are
- Most products you cannot get enough of but I found I was very satisfied after having one. The chocolate flavor is incredible. I did according to the directions and they bake beautifully...I am not a cook. I would recommend these to my friends even those that do not have a gluten problem.
- Best Brownies Ever!
- I discovered this mix at my local grocery store yesterday. We were having company for dinner and since I am recently gluten & dairy sensitive, I had trouble deciding what to have for dessert. I substituted canola oil for the butter, and used "No Egg" egg substitute (I cannot eat eggs either). I did add Ghirardelli (60% cacao) dark chocolate chips and also some chopped roasted dark chocolate almonds. These are not cake like brownies, but the chewy "melt in your mouth" type. Our friends thought they were delicious and I will definitely keep them in my pantry! They are very chocolatey (especially with the extra dark chocolate that I added). I served the brownies with some chocolate frozen dessert that I made using my frozen yogurt maker. I used a chocolate GF instant pudding mixed with tofu, then added a silk dark chocolate 8 oz almond milk, and added chopped almonds and white chocolate that had been cut up just before freezing. WOW! I would never have guessed that eating gluten & dairy free could taste so good!
- Best Brownies Ever
- These are the best brownies I have had, including GF and nonGF!
- These brownies turned out great. The whole family loves them. I used coconut oil in place of the butter or margarine called for since my husband gave up all dairy.
- BROWNIES WERE GREAT NO GARBONZO BEAN MIX
- As I looked through the comments I noticed two negative reviews tht mentioned the strong garbonzo bean flavor, but the Gluten Free Brownie mix does not contain garbonzo bean flour, but the Chocolate Cake Mix does. I believe they provided reviews for the cake mix not the brownies. I looked over the ingredients of the brownie mix to ensure there was no garbonzo bean flour. My wife wants these brownies for her birthday with butter cream icing and my step son wants them for his birthday without any icing. I also substituted skim milk for the water and added a table spoon of creamy peanut butter to the batter. They were GREAT!
- Even my hubby can't stop eating these!
- I made these a couple of weeks back, following the recipe exactly. Added 1/4 c walnuts and 1/4 cup chocolate chips. They came out wonderful! Even my husband can't stop eating them and he's not a sweet tooth or a gluten free follower. I froze the leftovers but we keep sneaking into the freezer to snack.
- Vegan & GF!
- I used one smashed banana (about half cup) instead of eggs. I used unsweetened almond milk instead of water. The butter substitute was soy-free earth balance. Added dark chocolate chips. It was very rich and gooey. Very nice with vanilla almond gluten-free ice cream.
- Best Brownies Ever!!!
- After trying another gluten free brownie mix and ending up completely disappointed, I did not have high expectations from Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Brownie Mix. Boy, was I shocked. These brownies were close to, if not the best brownies I have ever had, gluten free or otherwise. I added the optional chocolate chips and they were a great cake-like texture, chocolatey, and completely satisfying!
- Really good brownies
- Really wish we could order this in bulk and save some money. They are so delicious!
- Love it!
- Best tasting, economical GF brownie mix out there! My husband a wheat, chocolate & brownie lover can't eat enough of them!
- Description is spot on!
- I'm newly diagnosed gluten-sensitive and have to avoid gluten. Our Commissary has these and a friend made them for me. They were everything the description says. Moist and rich with a deep flavor. I am not a huge chocolate fan so I found them a little too chocolaty but they really hit the spot. Will definitely make this to take to events.
- Best Brownie Ever
- So surprised at the flavor, consistency and richness of this mix! Made the mix up as on the package for a church function - in case someone could only eat "gluten free." ... when others got a taste of them however they flew out of the pan! Rich, creamy chocolate - lovely in every way. Already recommended to my non gluten free friends and family to buy this brand and enjoy them
- Rich and flavorful
- I had this Brownie mix sitting on my shelf for months and finally decided to bake it. I feel bad I waited so long to cook them. I will forever be buying this mix, to help maintain my GF lifestyle.
- Very Good
- I have a 7 year old PICKY son who is now Gluten Free. I made these brownies and was pleasantly surprised. They are a little more "cake like" than your average brownie. I added 1/2 cup chocolate chips to the mix, and I have to say, they were absolutely delicious. The chocolate chips made it so much more fudgy and brownie like. Its a savior for gluten free children. Total hit in my house.
- I made the recipe on the back adding the cream cheese. They were really good!
- BEST BROWNIES EVER!
- BEST BROWNIES BY FAR. Better than home-made. Better than the best box mix I've every tried, even non-gluten free. Two of our three kids were dianosed with Celiac's after age 18. Tough, but we've changed our pantry completely. Thanks for your products. We don't feel deprived!
- Best Brownie Ever
- These are by far the best brownies I have ever tasted. I am the gluten free one in our house, my husband is a brownie lover, he has even paid $14 for a single brownie. Hands down these are the best brownies he has ever eaten. Followed directions, simple easy, baked until done as a regular brownie would be. I took some to work, everyone raved about them, THE BEST BROWNIES EVEY.
- These brownies were so rich and delicious! I put half of the batter in the pan and then put in a layer of caramel and pecan bits, then I put the rest of the batter on top. I sprinkled with brown sugar and pecans. These were super rich and amazing I am glad they are gone! I was eating way too much dessert.
- LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!! I'm going to be honest and say I had low expectations while making this, because most GF mixes taste like the sole of your shoe. I was prepared for a flop. I was VERY WRONG!!! Thanks Bob for proving me wrong!! It's easy put together, smells awesome while cooking, and fluffs up so you have this semi sweet but not too sweet, chocolaty chewy, cake like, fudgey brownie!!
- This is reeally really good!
- I was really apprehensive about a brownie mix, however am definitely buying more. I am gluten, dairy and soy free, so it's hard to find processed convenience foods. This mix is the bomb! And it's not that bad for you. I used it at Easter when a large group showed up. They ate every crumb!
- Rubbery consistency. Flavor is dull. It's adequate if you're starving.Costs more and not as good as other brownie mix brands such as King Arthur and Betty Crocker.
- Love this!!!!
- This was my first Bob's Red Mill gluten free product that I tried. I loved the way the brownies tasted!!! Other gluten free products I've tried came out gritty and didn't stay together once you got them out of the pan. I will definitely try this again and can't wait to try more of the gluten free products!
- We were VERY impressed and surprised!
- Our family of five tried this for the first time because we want to avoid wheat and dairy. we were all so surprised when we tasted the Brownies!|They are great! Very fudgey, chewy and they rise very nicely too. You can eat a smaller portion because the flavor is so rich and chocolatey! Bob did such a great job creating this recipe! We will buy this again!
- A Very Chocolatey Chewy Brownie
- I don't usually use mixes, but Bob's Red Mill sent me an assortment of mixes. Tried this one first. Bob's certainly does not skimp on the chocolate! These were very chocolately with a nice chewy texture. I prefer to make my own GF brownies so that I can make them with less sugar, but I got no complaints about these. No one suspected they were from a mix or that they were gluten-free!
- Seriously amazing Brownie mix
- I was looking for a dessert that i could bake at that had most of the ingredients in it, due to the horrid quality/price of premade gluten free brownies I had previous experience with bob product that were hit or miss so i decided to take a chance and i am VERY happy i did. it is very rich and delicious. it's also a bit hearty. qualities of which i think a brownie should have.
- Very delicious
- Came across this mix after I had been diagnosed as a celiac for 18 months. Made it up,(was easy), tried some, (loved it), went out, came home looking forward to having some more - it was all gone!!! My children and their friends had eaten it all in 1 hour and none of them is a celiac.|Just had to go out and get some more mix and have been addicted ever since.
- Added Protein Powder--Tastes AWESOME
- I added 2 scoops of protein powder (Jay Robb Vanilla Whey Protein) to the mix and about a half a cup of plain Greek Yogurt for my son who is a competitive swimmer--he gets the added protein and he still gets the chocolate taste. A nice treat for Athletes!
- Best Brownies EVER!
- This is the BEST Brownie Mix EVER! No one ever knows that it's Gluten Free! I bring it to nearly every occasion. Not only does it mean I can have dessert but it is also always gone. I almost always put something in between 2 halves of the batter such as chocolate chips or Andes Mint chips. (They take a little longer to cook.) I have also added mint extract(use half) or almond extract instead
- Won him over!
- To feel normal at a potluck I take brownies with chips and walnuts added. I have to watch out though, some non gluten free people start gobbling them up!
- Pretty tasty brownies
- These were tasty and easy to make. They are, however, a "cakier" style brownie and my preference is for a really dense, fudgy brownie, so this is my second-favorite brownie mix. If you like a cakier brownie, this one's for you!
- Best brownie mix out there
- The mix is good by itself but if you add some sour cream and a little extra brown sugar along with extra butter this brownie really comes to life!
- Absolutely great brownies, even compared to home-made ones with regular flour.
- Best Brownies EVER
- Made these for my dinner party....no one is ever willing to change...they all loved them and then I told them they were GF and they were all shocked saying they were better than any other store bought and or packaged brownies....AWESOME! So easy to make and I added fresh walnuts and choc chips...seriously I am addicted now!
- pretty good
- i was slightly disappointed in this although i guess it is good for what it is. it lacks depth and richness. nothing compared to homemade brownies.
- Great Taste!
- Wonderful taste!
- Pretty darn good!
- My sis gave me a bag of this to try after my CD dx. Was doubtful but it was really good and my kids couldn't tell the difference. Way to go Bob!
- Chewy brownies, rich and chocolaty
- We are gluten-free at home and it's hard to have treats around. For special occasions, these brownies are exceptionally good. You would never guess they are gluten-free. The texture is dense and fudge-like. The batch is large--we use a 11 by 16 pan to bake them. You can dress them up with chocolate chips, nuts or espresso. I use a bit of espresso to "darken" the flavor. The only downsides are that
- GF Brownie Mix
- I'm allergic to eggs, wheat, gluten, milk and a host of other foods - I've tried many brownie mixes and all have ended up in the garbage except this one. I used Eneg-G Egg Replacer for the eggs and it turned out great. I can't wait to try it using the Cream Cheese - but dairy free cream cheese!
- Hi, Just wanted to say I ...
- Hi, Just wanted to say I love your brownie mix. They were the first brownies I've had since going wheat free that you couldnt tell the difference.
- Best brownies I ever ...
- Best brownies I ever had!! We recommend them to everyone!
- I was disappointed with ...
- I was disappointed with these brownies. I found them dry and crumbly. Also, they were not very sweet, which is usually ok with me but not when they're dry. I love most of Bob's GF products, but I prefer to use my standby brownie recipe (Baker's one-bowl) with GF baking mix or rice flour (then you can even eat the dough! Yum!).
- I'm just starting ...
- I'm just starting gluten-free and your brownies are delicious! thank you!
- Try substituting the oil ...
- Try substituting the oil (marg/butter) called for with 1/2 cup apple sauce and 1/4 cup oil (I think the recipe calls for 3/4 cup of oil). This makes very moist brownies that the kids LOVE and they are lower in fat.
- For over 5 years, I have ...
- For over 5 years, I have been dealing with a wheat allergy. In the beginning I tried all kinds of recipes and products and I was so discouraged. So I just stopped trying gluten free baked items. Recently a friend made me a cake using your mix and I was so shocked and surprised. It was wonderful and it wasn't like a rock. I found your products in Publix and I have just baked the Brownie mix----A Jo
- My 93yr-old father was ...
- My 93yr-old father was diagnosed celiac seven years ago. He now lives in a retirement home. I bake him sweets so he can have 'what others' are. My husband & I are always looking for new WF/GF mixes. We are the 'taste testers' and have yet to have found any WF/GF product to be terrible. But instead, some are tremendous & great! Your brownie mix we knew would test great-they are made with Ghirardell
- I bought this in a gluten ...
- I bought this in a gluten free package you offered. I wanted to try some GF mixes you offered and was pleasantly suprised. They were delicious and moist just what you want in a brownie. Thanks for making all your gluten free products easily affordable and great tasting too.
- Thank you for giving me ...
- Thank you for giving me my ultimate brownie experience!!!! I have recently switched to eating gluten free food, made alot of recipes that have flopped.... so decided to buy your brownie mix to try. I was amazed at the quality and taste of these bad boys! I'm even telling my non-gluten friends all about them, encouraging them to pick up a pack for themselves! Great product guys!!!!!!
- Nutritional Info
Serving Size: One brownie (37g mix)
Servings Per Container: 16
Amount Per Serving % Daily
ValueCalories150Calories from Fat5
Total Fat0.5 g1 %Saturated Fat0 g0 %Trans Fat0 g0 %Cholesterol0 mg0 %Sodium65 mg3 %Total Carbohydrate33 g11 %Dietary Fiber2 g8 %Sugars24 gN/AProtein2 g4 %
Vitamin A0 %Vitamin C0 %Calcium0 %Iron10 %
* Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Sugar, Gluten Free Flour Blend ( Sweet White Rice Flour, Brown Rice Flour, Potato Starch, Whole Grain Sorghum Flour, Tapioca Flour, Xanthan Gum), Cocoa Powder, Sea Salt, Baking Powder (Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate, Corn Starch, Monocalcium Phosphate), Natural Vanilla Powder (Sugar, Cornstarch, Vanilla Extract).
*Manufactured in a facility that also uses tree nuts and soy