Bob's Red Mill Vital Wheat Gluten is made from the protein found in the endosperm of the wheat berry, containing 75% to 80% protein. When combined with water it becomes highly elastic and has a taffy-like texture. A small amount added to yeast bread recipes improves the texture and elasticity of the dough, helps retain the gas and steam from baking, and gives more volume to the baked bread. It can be especially helpful for baking breads made with whole grain flours and coarse cereals. Vital wheat gluten is often used by commercial bakeries to produce light textured breads, and can easily put the home bread baker on a par with the professionals.
Vital wheat gluten is also a staple ingredient for meat and meat substitutes. It acts as a binder for meatballs, meatloaf, veggie burgers and tofu alike. Vital wheat gluten is the main ingredient in the popular meat substitute, seitan. To make seitan, mix vital wheat gluten with spices and then add water to make a dough. When the gluten dough is steamed, baked, boiled, or otherwise cooked, it becomes chewy with a very meat-like texture. See our package for an easy and delicious Basic Seitan recipe, as well as directions for a classic and hearty Honey Oatmeal Bread.
- Related Products
Customer Reviews 9 item(s)
- Better than tofu!
I used this product to make vegan sausages and they turned out fantastic! We want to eat less/little tofu so I think Vital wheat gluten will quickly become a staple in our house! Will try in veggie burgers next. Woohoo!
- Baking with Vital Wheat
- I used this as a substitute for flour in a protein cinnamon bread recipe.||Is that alright?||Everyone else adds only a few table spoons to normal flour, but I used a whole cup!||It came out fine, but I'm just wondering if it's still okay to eat.||Thanks
- Best Pizza Dough Ever! It truly is...
- I really love how my pizza dough turns out now. My family thinks I make the BEST pizza in town. We had people over for pizza the other afternoon and said it was the BEST they had ever had. I give credit to the dough being so superior using vital wheat gluten AND canning my own tomato sauce. We don't order pizza anymore.
- A must have!
- I purchased this to use with a no-knead bread recipe. A few tablespoons of VWG mixed with whole wheat flour creates such a light crumb. The bread completely changes people's opinion of what whole grain bread can be. I've also successfully made seitan with this as well. Total yum! I'm very pleased with this product, and consider it my "secret ingredient" when baking bread.
- Wow! Fluffy Whole Wheat!
- Tossed 4 Tsp into the bread machine with a 100% Whole Wheat bread recipe, and it rose high and came out light and fluffy like a loaf of Wonder Bread (in a good way!), instead of the usual dense loaf. Fabulous!
- I love your Vital Wheat Gluten!
- I have used your vital wheat gluten to prepare homemade seitan and it works perfectly everytime. Seitan is "wheat meat" suitable for vegans and I use the seitan I make with your fantastic product in stir fries, scrambles, and even grill it with barbecue sauce to make "ribs". I really love the high quality of this product and the wonderful things I can do with it.
- This is fabulous for vegan sausages!!!
- I use this to make the best vegan sausage ever and also roasts or to add to whole grain bread...this flour is VITAL in our household!!!
- This makes excellent ...
- This makes excellent seitan. I made vegan bbq riblets and they came out great.
- This product is amazing. ...
- This product is amazing. I love to make homeade bread but I always have to add some white flour to allow the bread to be lighter. I made a recipe that calls for 100% whole wheat and I added a few tablespoons of the vital wheat gluten and the bread was light and fluffy and 100% whole wheat.
- Nutritional Info
Serving Size: 1/4 cup (30g)
Servings Per Container: 20
Amount Per Serving % Daily
ValueCalories120Calories from Fat5
Total Fat0.5 g1 %Saturated Fat0 g0 %Trans Fat0 g0 %Cholesterol0 mg0 %Sodium0 mg0 %Total Carbohydrate4 g1 %Dietary Fiber1 g4 %Sugars0 gN/AProtein23 g46 %
Vitamin A0 %Vitamin C0 %Calcium2 %Iron10 %
* Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
*Manufactured in a facility that also uses tree nuts, soy, wheat, and milk