DetailsFlaxseed was cultivated in Babylon as early as 3000 BC. In the 8th century, King Charlemagne believed so strongly in the health benefits of flaxseed that he passed laws requiring his subjects to consume it. Now, thirteen centuries later, some experts say we have preliminary research to back up what Charlemagne suspected.
Although flaxseed meal contains all sorts of healthy components, it owes its primary healthy reputation to three of them: omega-3 essential fatty acids, lignans and fiber. Omega-3 essential fatty acids are “good” fats that have been shown to have heart-healthy effects. Each tablespoon of ground flaxseed contains about 1.8 grams of plant omega-3s. Lignans have both plant estrogen and antioxidant qualities. Flaxseed contains 75 to 80 times more lignans than other plant foods. Flaxseed Meal is high in dietary fiber containing both the soluble and insoluble types. It’s also a powerful natural cholesterol controller. Our Organic Flaxseed Meal is freshly milled to preserve the natural oils and nutrients.
Flaxseed meal can provide a nutritional punch to many baked goods. Add flaxseed meal to bread, pancakes, muffins, bars, cookies and other recipes for extra nutrition and a nutty flavor. Replace oil or shortening in a recipe with ground flaxseed. Substitute flaxseed at a 3:1 ratio for best results. Use flaxseed meal as an egg replacer in recipes for muffins, cakes, cookies, and pancakes. Use one tablespoon of flaxseed meal and 3 tablespoons of liquid to replace each egg called for in the recipe. Reduce the flour in a recipe by up to 25 percent and replace it with ground flaxseed. Find recipes and tips for flaxseed meal in our recipe collection.
Customer Reviews 4 item(s)
- Add to All Foods Today!
- A few months ago I started adding this Flaxseed Meal to all of my family's foods. I put it in our yogurt, cereal, pasta sauce, casseroles, etc. The kids do not at all mind the texture or the taste because there is virtually none. They love it when I explain all the health benefits too! It feels so good knowing that i can do something so simple yet so healthful for my family. Thank you Bob's R
- Great help with low-carb diet!
- I tried a recipe online for flaxseed foccacia - I'm on the induction part of Atkins and missing bread! The recipe has no net carbs because of the fiber in the flaxmeal and is delicious. This is so terrific in baking that I will continue to use it after my extra weight is off.
- Brown Flaxseed Meal
- I use this product in baking and love it. I also use this as a daily supplement. I use one tablespoon of flax in my juice every morning as flax is good for your overall health as well a good natural supplement for my dry eye condition. Flax can be sprinkled on fruit, salad, ice cream, etc. Use your imagination.
- I want to thankyou for ...
- I want to thankyou for this... I love your flax seed meal. I cook it in my organic oatmeal. I add it to my pancakes, breads and muffins. Delish!
- Nutritional Info
Serving Size: 2 Tbsp (13g)
Servings Per Container:
Amount Per Serving % Daily
ValueCalories60Calories from Fat40
Total Fat4.5 g7 %Saturated Fat0.5 g3 %Trans Fat0 g0 %Cholesterolmg0 %Sodiummg0 %Total Carbohydrate4 g1 %Dietary Fiber4 g16 %SugarsgN/AProtein3 g6 %
Vitamin A%Vitamin C%Calcium2 %Iron4 %
* Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
organic ground whole flaxseeds
*Manufactured in a facility that also uses tree nuts and soy