Food is Medicine™
Add a little adventure to everyday meals with teff, a tiny whole grain that has been a staple of traditional Ethiopian cooking for thousands of years. Whole Grain Teff (Tef, T'ef) an ancient East African cereal grass, is a nutritional powerhouse. It is the smallest grain in the world (about 100 grains are the size of a kernel of wheat!). The germ and bran, where the nutrients are concentrated, account for a larger volume of the seed compared to more familiar grains.
With a mild, nutty flavor and lots of calcium, protein and fiber, whole grain teff is a great addition to porridge, stews, pilaf or baked goods. Cooked whole grain teff makes a unique hot breakfast cereal similar in consistency and texture to wheat farina. Teff can be made into polenta, added to veggie burgers, cakes, cookies and breads. Naturally gluten free, teff is a wonderful way to mix up your menu with something a bit exotic.
- Related Products
Customer Reviews 8 item(s)
- Great on Salads!
- Being a Gluten-Free, Vegan, I find myself eating lots of salads! LOL! I bought Teff to cook like a grain in place of rice, wheat, etc. I haven't cooked any yet, but instead decided to try it on my salad. It was awesome! As a Vegan, I have trouble maintaining a healthy weight and tend to be a little underweight. So, I was very happy to see that Teff only has 1 gram of fat per 1/4 cup, but that
- Teff as a replacement for Flax Seeds
- I recently made Five-grain Bread and ran out of flax seeds. I was in a hurry and did not have time to go the store. I remembered that on a whim I had purchased teff seeds. So, I decided the worst that could happen would be I threw the bread away.||Should not have worried. The results of a mixture of flax and teff seeds gave the bread a very interesting flavor and that rules, as Reinhart so aptly s
- This cereal is unbelievably good!
- This cereal is really easy to use. Microwave works great. My family eats this with chopped dates and local, organic Honey. Died and went to breakfast heaven!
- Tastiest cereal I've ever had!
- I haven't gotten into making other dishes with this because it is so good plain. It is my favorite hot cereal with just a pinch of sea salt and a pat of butter. Everybody who I have made some for has 1) never seen it before and 2)likes the nutty flavor. Tastes great and good for you...what a combination!
- A Perfect Food
- Thank you for the recipes you provide on the back of the bag. Consistent with my past experiences with other Bob's Red Mill products, I tried your Teff Porridge recipe and loved it. I've been integrating Teff in my diet since seeing it listed in a major magazine as one of 10 most perfect foods, but at first I had trouble finding ways to use it. Your website has also been very helpful to provide re
- Versatile and Very Good!
- Teff is an excellent and versatile food. From teff burgers to chocolate teff pudding to injera flatbread, it makes flavorful and good for you food.||Of all the alternative grains, this is on of our family's favorites.
- Teff is my favorite grain
- I love teff. It has as much protein (7 gm) as an egg, is gluten free, and has a nutty, molasses like flavor, unlike any other grain. It cooks in just 15 minutes. I cook it with cinnamon, allspice and cardamon, and serve it with milk and nuts, creating a breakfast that lasts me all morning. It is also tasty cooked with broth for a side dish, or add some of the uncooked grain into your next soup.
- I am so glad I picked up this product. It is incredible. It has a delicious sweet and nutty flavor. With a crisp texture that is similar to quinoa. I ate it for breakfast with a tablespoon of honey and a splash of milk.||YUM!
- Nutritional Info
Serving Size: 1/4 cup (50g)
Servings Per Container: 14
Amount Per Serving % Daily
ValueCalories180Calories from Fat10
Total Fat1 g2 %Saturated Fatg0 %Trans Fat0 g0 %Cholesterolmg0 %Sodium5 mg0 %Total Carbohydrate37 g12 %Dietary Fiber4 g16 %SugarsgN/AProtein7 g14 %
Vitamin A%Vitamin C%Calcium10 %Iron20 %
* Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
whole grain teff
*Manufactured in a facility that also uses tree nuts and soy