NEW LOOK, SAME RECIPE
Stone ground, whole grain cornmeal and sorghum impart an unmatched flavor and texture from another era. After easy preparation, you will bake perfectly moist and light cornbread, with just the right amount of “dense”—just as cornbread should be. Specially designed for those sensitive to wheat or gluten, this mix contains whole grain cornmeal, potato starch, whole grain sorghum flour, cane sugar, whole grain corn flour, tapioca flour, baking powder, sea salt, and xanthan gum. If you’re feeling adventurous, try making our Gluten Free Cornbread in a well-seasoned cast iron skillet and add a diced jalapeno and some jack cheese. Or if you’re in the mood for something on the sweeter side, drizzle a little honey on top and add a dash of cinnamon. It also makes a wonderful companion to a steaming cup of soup or chili. Our Gluten Free Cornbread Mix has also been used to create a quick and easy light crust for pan roasting fish and other meats. You can make muffins, pancakes, casserole toppings, hoecakes, bread cubes, Thanksgiving stuffing and dumplings for stew, all with our delicious Gluten Free Cornbread Mix!
- Related Products
Customer Reviews 62 item(s)
I'm a fan and user of Bobs products (mainly the bean soup, quinoa, amaranth) This cornbread is double the price of my usual boxed mix. I baked it up and found the texture really mealy, the flavor was bland and the overall result really underwhelming. For me an unusual complete miss by BRM on this product.
- Best gluten free cornbread ever.
Best gluten free cornbread ever. I have tried several cornbreads and this is by far the best. Even my husband, who is not GF agrees -- flakey and tender but crisp around the edges.
P.S. It's far better when made with butter than oil.
- never miss the old stuff with this around
I am a celiac and GF DF and was told about this mix by my son in law who is PICKY and raved about it. We like to add fresh sweet corn off the raw cob and goats milk and fresh eggs or even grated goat Gouda for variation. it is the best with soups or chilies or with chicken white bean and green chili soup ladled over it!!! yum
- What happened?
This used to be my favorite mix. Now it is a gummy muck no matter how brown I let it get.
Thank you for your review, if you ever need assistance with a bad batch of cornbread, please contact Customer Service 1-800-349-2173. We will help you troubleshoot the recipe, and this one may have been an improperly mixed bag. Thank you for your patience.
Have a good day,
- Terrible cornbread mix. Packy, wet, no flavor.
This was one of the worst corn bread mixes that I have ever had. Tried it tonight for the first time and it will be my last time. Used the recipe exactly as written. The cornbread came out packy and no flavor. I was born in the south now having lived in Mich. for the last sixty years and believe me, I know cornbread and this wasn't cornbread. Reminded me more of the flat bread that I got overseas in S.E. Asia when I was in the military. Usually make my own from scratch, but thought I would try Bob's maybe a little easier and not so much work. I guess I'll go back to making good cornbread because this cornbread was awful.
Sorry for the bad review, Bob, but it was deserved. We usually save the left over cornbread for stuffing for Thanksgiving, but it wasn't even good enough for that. Threw it out for the birds. Hope they like it.
Thank you for the review, in the future please contact Customer Service 1-800-349-2173 with any questions or concerns, this may have been a bad bag. Thank you for your patience.
Have a good day,
- Corn Muffins
I make this nice and easy. I use 2 eggs, 1 3/4 cups heavy whipping cream, an 8oz can of creamed corn. Two muffin pans with 24 liners. Bake at 375 for 14-15 minutes. Very creamy and moist. We are not gluten free but this is what I make for the family. The kids really enjoy them.
- Flax Egg
I already reviewed this but forgot to mention that I used a flax egg (well - 2 flax eggs) instead of real eggs and it worked very well!
- Better than Jiffy!
My daughter (GF) loved this bread. Both her & my husband thought it was even better than our normal jiffy corn muffins. I did alter the directions since several people here said it was too crumbly. I added an extra 1/3 Cup of milk, I used oil for the 1/3 C needed & then an extra 2 Tbsp of melted butter. I also added maybe 1/4 cup of sugar and maybe 2 Tbsp of honey. Yeah - I altered it A LOT. I baked in a 9x9 pan - they didn't really brown up at all - and I baked it for the full 25 minutes. My husband did say it wasn't as "cornbready" as Jiffy - but very fluffy & moist.
- Good even from a breadmaker
I bought this cornbread mix and I wasn't sure to use in my breadmaker or not , so I tried using the test free setting and it turned out just right light golden my son who is allergic to wheat because he hasASD loved it.
I will make it again.
- Pleasantly Surprised
I loved this cornbread. I was worried because I was always loyal to jiffy in the past (with modifications) but I was looking for a gluten free variety. I tend to like my cornbread "cakey" rather than gritty like most cornbread tends to be. With a few changes to the instructions I was able to get a decent cakey texture. Instead of 1/3 cup of butter I used 1/2 cup butter (one stick) and I added 1/2 cup granulated sugar. I cooked these as muffins in a tin with liners at 325 deg. for about 25 or so minutes. I don't let them get browned, just done all the way through. They came out great and were best after having been stored overnight and allowed to soften up. I am satisfied with the texture but if I wanted to get an even cakey-er texture, adding an extra egg and/or more sugar might do the trick, but I am not certain.
- needs gluten
- Well I bought it to give it a try. I am NOT gluten free.
- Perfection after adjustment
- After trying the product the first time, I liked the flavor but not the texture. I found it dry and crumbly and a bit crunchy. I prefer a moister cornbread. Adding 2 cups of milk instead of 1 1/2 seemed to do the trick. It came out moist and light and the extra milk gave the cornmeal the adequate moisture to soften it up. The third time I made this I added a cup of grated jalapeno jack cheese.
- BEST CORNBREAD
My digestive system has been amuck for over 10 years with celiac, gluten intolerance, IBS., Leaky Gut... major distention and pain...whatever you want to call it.
And this cornbread was heaven sent.
I'm a clean eater and limited to food due to sensitivities.... and my hubby and teenage daughters LOVED it.
Couldn't get enough!
- Great cornbread!
- Bob's Cornbread mix is great! I've made muffins twice using one reviewer's recipe for a half batch, and both times they came out perfect. The muffins are light and taste delicious. I cut them open and add real butter. Yum!
- I was sold on this for the simple fact that it is GMO free. It is hard to find corn from original seeds. The great taste will make this a regular in our home!
- The cornbread had a wonderful flavor and taste. However, it was a bit dry and crumbly.
- Cornbread Perfection
- This cornbread has a better taste and texture than every other cornbread mixes out there, its real cornbread!|I find that most cornbread mixes (and many cornbread recipes for that matter) have to much flour and sugar, and not enough, cornmeal! |This cornbread has just a hint of sweetness so it goes well with savory entrees and its perfect by itself, unlike many other overly sweet cornbreads that m
- Great Tasting!
- Great tasting and easy to make. Not many ingrediants needed. I used it to make corn bread muffins last night and they came out great. Just needed to bake a little longer then instructions indicated for pan baking. My husband and son loved them and my husband said they were better then the ones I used to make.
- Gluten Free Cornbread Mix
- Doctors recommended that I follow a gluten free diet, I bought this mix cuz I LOVE all bread but all breads sold around here have gluten or the ones that don't taste horrible!!! I decided to bake my own... I baked this as the instructions indicated but added 1/3 maple syrup and instead of milk, used coconut dream. I also added some of the medium grind corn meal (like the texture in my bread)... It
- Using Almond Milk
- I am very new gluten free, dairy free foods and the corn bread mix is the first product I have used. I used almond milk as I am staying away from soy also. I baked it in a 9 x 13 pan and I am super pleasantly surprised. The first bite was "hmmmm...." not in a bad way, just different because me and my husband are foodies. But, this is a lifestyle change for us. we like this product and will ce
- Good, but not quite cornbread...
- I have been craving cornbread and I finally broke down and bought this mix. I found it to be really tasty, but not at all like cornbread. There is not enough of the gritty, course-ground corn to give this a real cornbread feel. I would however recommend this as a great gf substitute for Irish soda bread. Would toast up great with some salted butter...
- Gluten free corn bread mix
- This corn bread mix is so tasty you won't believe it's gluten free. I made it in my bread machine using the cake setting. It's easy, fast and delicious! I will definitely buy it again!
- Delicious...but needed more baking time
- Our first time for the Gluten free Corn Bread. The taste is the best we've ever had, however the baking time in your instructions is way off.I tested it with a toothpick 3 times and took it our of the oven. The middle was cracked and humped up like banana bread.I was disappointed when I cut it. The middle was gooey and not done. I had to put it back in the oven 2 more times.I suggest putting it in
- HALF PACKAGE MEASUREMENTS: GF CORNBREAD
Since there are only two of us at home now, a whole package of Bob's Red Mill GF Cornbread is too much. I always divide the package, and now I'm finally writing down the measurements. Hope this helps someone else, too!
1/2 package of BRM GF cornbread = 1 3/4 c. mix
8 t. oil or melted butter
3/4 c. milk
Mix well; bake at 375 deg. for 20-25 minutes.
My husband says this is the best cornbread he's ever had!
- Best Cornbread Ever
- I think this is the best cornbread I've ever had even those that contain gluten.
- Better than expected!
- This cornbread mix is awesome. Since my daughter is gf intolerent I am trying products but haven't found bread that has the right taste or consistancy. I made these cornbread muffins yesterday and added shredded cheddar, bacon, jalepeno which added some nice flavor. It was more savory than sweet since I did not add any sugar. Definitely recommend!
- Delicious, quick and easy
- This is a wonderful cornbread. It bakes up enough for a family, which is difficult to find in the food allergy world. I can't count the times I've purchased a GF cake mix (at 3 times the price of a regular boxed cake mix) only to find that I actually had only enough mix for a HALF CAKE!! Who has enough time on their hands to make 2 batches of cornbread for dinner? (1 GF, 1 "regular") I know I don't. (btw...Bob's brownie mix makes enough for a 9X13 pan - yay!) This cornbread is delicious. It can be made any way you like - bread/muffins/pancakes/8x8. I've used it to bake a weeknight pot pie style casserole dish with chicken and veggies in a baking dish and the cornbread mix on top - yum! It makes a great cornbread stuffing. Its a good base if you like to add corn, jalapenos or honey. If there are any leftovers, (and there rarely are) it makes a delicious breakfast toasted with "butter" and jelly. I reminds me of the cornbread toaster-cakes! Great product!
- Wow, I found my new favourite loaf bread
- This cornbread turned out fantastic. I've been searching for a gluten-free bread replacement and I think I've found it. The mix comes out light and fluffy but is also thick and holds together like gluten bread. I made it on a Sunday night and had a few slices with raspberry jam for breakfast on Monday. Tastes great too!
- Tried it tonight.....
My wife has been gf for a little while now and it's been killing her to not have decent breads and such. Well tonight I made this for her and I have to say, it's pretty good. Yeah, it's got the gf "thickness/density" to it, but that's sorta the norm right?
Even though I'm not gf, this was good just like other Red Mill products, also I love the mighty tasty hot cereal, tastes just like grits, cream of wheat or malt-o-meal hot cereals!
- Not just for cornbread anymore
have been using this mix for pancakes.
Just made a modified German Apple Corn Cake.
Sautee apples in butter in an omelet pan, after apples are soft (about5 mins) add in cinnamon (couple of shakes) and sugar (1 Tsp)
Mix batter as you would normally.
I used organic canola and an almond, cashew cream for the milk. I had to add a little water to thin the batter.
In the sautee pan with the apples add in about 1 cup of batter right on top of the apples. (you do not have to stir this in) Cook till it starts to bubble just like a pancake. Flip it, best if you can do this with out a spatula.
Cook on the flip side about another 4 minutes on moderate heat.
Slide onto a plate, I slathered on some butter and organic maple syrup. YUM!
- Can't go wrong
- I'm not a great cook -- but I haven't so far found a way to make this corn bread wrong. Even the few times I haven't used a measuring cup... it came out perfect.. my roommates beg me to make some all the time.
- Tastes very good, and great texture.
- This product has great taste and good texture. I accidentally told my wife to use olive oil instead of canola oil (or so she says) and it turned out great, so it also proves to be fairly fool-proof.
- I am eating this cornbread right now and I can't beleive how good it is - I have been gluten-free for a year and this is the best gluten-free bread and best corn bread I have ever tasted. Very easy to make (I baked mine in a loaf pan for 35 minutes). Great texture and taste. I am eating with a bit of butter right now but can't wait to try with chili.
- As good as Jiffy!
- We eat this with chili all the time and it is so great. I have to please both a gluten free and non-gluten free crowd and both approve it!
- Thumbs Up
I love, love, love cornbread. So does my gluten-challenged spouse. I've experimented with my own recipes, and finally came up with a pretty successful recipe. However, I haven't bothered to make it lately because we've discovered this mix which is fabulous. You won't miss the gluten, trust me. All I have to say is go, Bob!
It's easy to make, and the flavor and texture are very good.
- Best Ever
- This is the best cornbread I have ever had. I keep atleast one bag in my cupboard at all times. I make them up in a silicone muffin/cupcake pan. They come out perfect!
- Needs add-ins on label!
- Used as directed. Definitely will only use 1/2 a bag next time as it was HUGE! Will also add a little more oil and some sugar! It tasted like corn cardboard! I know a lot of gluten free items are trial and error and now that I have read some of the other reviews, I will be using some of the suggested ad-ins! MMMMMM Sounds good. It has been a hard adjustment for our family of 5 since our 4 yr old
- This stuff is surprisingly good
- Use for wheat free diet|Taste was unusually good. Next time I will add jalepanos.|Please, please makes smaller quantity bags -or-tell me how I can make this bag for 4 servings and not an army.
- a veg twist
- I decided to try this after I read all the favorable comments! I'm veg, so I used BRM ground flax for eggs and a soy/almond blend for milk. Next time, I will try applesauce for oil. I served to a few friends, no one would have guessed in anything but the old fashioned kind. yumm!
- It's perfect.
- > good as a side for dinner, good at breakfast|> great snack|> great texture and nice balanced flavor|> It's really nice to take this to potlucks for my gluten free family so they have some carbs!
- what a treat
- I was so surprised at the quality of this product. It is better than any cornbread mix I have ever tried, GF or not.
- Cornbread Mix
- I came across this mix when I was on holiday in Florida as I didn't find that people with gluten intolerance were well catered for. I loved the cornbread so much that I brought some home in my luggage and then when I ran out, had some exported from the USA at great cost, which shows just how wonderful I think this mix is.
- Cornbread cracker
- I flowed the recipe on the back of package. Instead of putting batter in loaf pan, I dropped spoonsfull(as when you make drop biscuits), press them down with a fork(dip fork in water so batter does not stick to fork). Baked until edges were brown. Makes a crispy cracker snack.|Delicious.
- one of the best I ever ate
- I made this with non dary milk and conola oil works great|my boys and I love it
- Cornbread mix
- Family dinners have become challenging as several of us have dairy and gluten allergies. I made the cornbread mix with almond milk and it was amazing! Everyone enjoyed it. Note: I found that I needed to bake it an extra 5 minutes to avoid a moist line just under the top crust.
- I LOVE this cornbread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- I found out about my allergy to wheat products a year ago. Most of my died consisted of bread and pasta! Now i lead a very healthy lifestyle and thanks to this product i have no more cravings for foods im allergic to! I love this cornbread and would reccomend it to anyone!
- Awesome, best cornbread ever.
- This cornbread is better than 90% of all other cornbreads I have EVER had, gluten-containing ones also.
- Quick and easy to bake as is
- Being on a GF diet I sometimes get tired of eating a plain salad with no bread so I love to make Herb & Cheese Cornbread with this mix. Just add a tesp of herbs like thyme or sage, a 1/2 tesp garlic powder, and a cup (or more) of shredded cheddar cheese. I usually put in some frozen whole kernel corn too for some extra chew. This is great hot from the oven but also makes a filling planned-over
- Simply the best.
- To address a previous comment, the batch is made to cook in an 8x8 or 9x9 square pan. I however, cut the bag's contents in half by weight and made a half batch with butter, not oil, in a loaf pan lined with parchment paper. Turned out amazing! Instead of cooking the full 25, limit the time to 17 or 18 minutes. Served with butter and honey, this is a delicious snack! It was quick to make, easy to f
- Saved my breakfast!
- 7 years ago I was told that I had developed allergies to certain foods. One of the foods I could not eat, amongst many others, was wheat. I wanted to cry! I love pancakes for breakfast. How was I suppose to make pancakes? All the commercial gluten free pancake mixes also had milk in them, which I also had developed an allergy to. I remembered visiting a friend down south and having corn meal
- I am a celiac and this made me sick.
- I would love for this to be gluten free but I won't buy this again. I don't trust it anymore. The folks at "Bountiful Harvest" warned me not to buy this brand but I did anyway thinking they were just trying to promote themselves. I was wrong.....
- I am new to your products ...
- I am new to your products and organics/healthy eating in general. I recently tried your Gluten Free Corn Bread Mix. Wow! It was the best corn bread I've ever had in my life. And I didn't even slather it with butter. It tasted divine, just the way it came out of the oven. Kudo's to your products
- Really great taste, but ...
- Really great taste, but I'd like to see it produced with organic ingredients, especially the corn!
- I was amazed at how well ...
- I was amazed at how well it rose! Even the gluten eaters at my house loved this corn bread and requested more! All I can say is YUM!!
- This cornbread mix tastes ...
- This cornbread mix tastes like REAL southern cornbread (grilled on the iron griddle) rather than that sweet and fluffy jiffy stuff. My son can't have dairy milk, and I didn't have any substitutes on hand, so I just used a cup of water and it worked out fine. I'm going to try to make a cornbread loaf next!
- Made with unsweetened ...
- Made with unsweetened soymilk, 2 Tbsp of oil and about 4 Tbsp of butternut squash babyfood, this came out moist, crisp on top... perfect. Love it.
- My mother-in-law is ...
- My mother-in-law is Celiac, and cannot have wheat, or gluten. Usually gluten-free mixes taste like alfalfa sprouts, or beans of some type. Not this stuff. It's great. We are going to try it alongside the turkey for cornbread dressing at Thanksgiving. YUM
- Was going to be sad about ...
- Was going to be sad about finding out about gluten/wheat sensitivity this Thanksgiving. But NO! I made this cornbread and it was better than any I've ever tasted, bar none. And I'm 61 yrs old and just discovered my gluten sensitivity so I've had lots of 'regular' corn bread. This is beats them all. Thanks so much.
- This is yummy. Amazing ...
- This is yummy. Amazing how moist it is. Love it. We make it with organic almond milk. I agree with others...you need to make this with organic corn. You have great products....make them with organic ingredients....please!
- I just wanted to tell you ...
- I just wanted to tell you how much I love your Gluten Free products. I have tried many of the products in your line for years and have always felt it to be of great quality! I, and many of my friends that I train with have made the Paleo diet our lifestyle. Of course, on occasions we will have a "time-out" meal. Recently for the SuperBowl, we made your GF Corn Bread and it was AMAZING!
- I made your cornbread for ...
- I made your cornbread for breakfast for my husband because he (who just recently was found to be wheat/gluten intolerant) didn't know what to have to eat. So I whipped your corn bread and it baked up beautifully high and tasted great. He was so happy, we will make more of that. Thank you!!
- I loved the cornbread ...
- I loved the cornbread too--delicious, but one suggestion...the package suggests using a "20cm pan". It does not specify loaf pan, round pan, square pan. I assumed that corn bread would be made in a loaf pan and consequently, had to bake it for close to an hour!
- Nutritional Info
Serving Size: 1/16 of pkg (35g)
Servings Per Container: 16
Amount Per Serving % Daily
ValueCalories120Calories from Fat5
Total Fat0.5 g1 %Saturated Fat0 g0 %Trans Fat0 g0 %Cholesterol0 mg0 %Sodium330 mg14 %Total Carbohydrate28 g9 %Dietary Fiber2 g8 %Sugars4 gN/AProtein2 g4 %
Vitamin A0 %Vitamin C0 %Calcium2 %Iron2 %
* Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
*PLEASE NOTE THAT NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION REFLECTS UNPREPARED MIX * whole grain cornmeal, potato starch, whole grain sorghum flour, evaporated cane juice, whole grain corn flour, tapioca flour, baking powder (sodium acid pyrophosphate, sodium bicarbonate, cornstarch, monocalcium phosphate), sea salt (magnesium carbonate as flowing agent), xanthan gum.
*Manufactured in a facility that also uses tree nuts and soy