DetailsGarbanzo Beans (chickpeas) are one of the creamiest and tastiest of beans. Flour made from this delicious bean lends a sweet, rich flavor to baked goods. Bob’s Red Mill Garbanzo Bean Flour is freshly milled and 100% stone ground. Garbanzo beans are loaded with protein and dietary fiber and are a good source of iron. Garbanzo bean flour—also known as besan, gram flour, chickpea flour and cici bean flour—is popular in Middle Eastern and Indian cooking and baking. Use it in dishes like falafel, hummus, socca, farinata, papadums and pakoras. It is also a wonderful ingredient for gluten free baking. Try it in crackers, pizza crusts, and breads. Garbanzo bean flour also works well in cakes or quick breads with strong flavors like chocolate and pumpkin. It can also be used to thicken soups, sauces, or gravies. Use garbanzo bean flour to replace up to 25% of the flour in your baking to increase protein and fiber.
- Additional Information
Free Shipping N/A
- Related Products
Customer Reviews 7 item(s)
- gluten-free banana bread
- I just baked my first gluten-free banana bread using almond meal (which I ground myself when I made my own almond milk from soaked raw almonds), and garbanzo bean flour from Bob's Redmill and it turned out wonderfully. You cannot taste the beany flavor of the beans at all and the texture is so delicate and soft but holds up well. I used 2 cups of almond meal, 1/2 cup gluten-free all purpose flour (mainly rice flour) and 1/2 cup of garbanzo bean flour to increase the protein content. I also added some honey in addition to palm sugar so the honey, along with the bananas may have helped mask the bean flavor. The result is a beautifully browned and flavorful banana bread you cannot tell it is not gluten-free. It tastes so banana-y!
- Wonderful flour!
- I've tried this flour in waffles, gravies, and thickening for casseroles and it's wonderful in flavor and in texture. My husband is somewhat picky in his tastes, but he too loves the rich taste.
- Amazing, flavorful flour
- This garbanzo bean flour adds rich flavor and golden color to all kinds of egg-free batters and slurries. It's become my go-to ingredient for coating mushrooms & zucchini for deep-frying, as well as breading for seitan and other proteins. I use it, combined with almond milk and a touch of vanilla, to make a delicious (and vegan) French Toast batter. I've also experimented with using it for egg-free chile rellenos, with promising results. In addition to making falafel and other middle eastern dishes, I heartily recommend trying Mark Bittman's recipe for simple and delicious chickpea "fries".
- Love it
- Those commenting on the poor flavor were probably using it in a recipe that does not mesh well with this flour. I am not sure if I would use this for desserts, but this flour tastes GREAT in savory recipes. I used it to make a crust for a vegetable pot pie and the addition of chickpea flour made all the difference. It really lends a unique depth of flavor and I could not tell a difference in texture, even though I used 2 cups of this flour and only 3/4 cup all purpose.
- Great quality
- Bob's Red Mill's products are always great quality! The taste of this particular product is not great because of what it is, not it's quality. I think there are much better choices available than Garbanzo Bean Flour.
- Gluten Free Brownies!
- I used this flour as an equal substitute for my famous brownie recipe and the results were fantastic....my friends could not believe they were gluten free. The baking chocolate in the recipe masked the beanie flavor but the texture was even fudgier with the Bob's Red Mill Garbonzo bean flour. The only con is the cost. I use a cup of flour in the recipe and it's quite pricey(but worth it for the results it gives).
- Garbanzo (chick-pea) Flour No allergies!
- After visiting India, I realized there were a few grains that I Could eat! I'm allergic to almost any bread, but bread made with garbanzo flour worked everytime for me. India also has a few break-cake-like breakfast dishes, and garbanzo flour works great in many of these.-JanWalkabout Liberation[@]
- Nutritional Info
Serving Size: 1/4 cup(30g)
Servings Per Container: 20
Amount Per Serving % Daily
ValueCalories110Calories from Fat15
Total Fat2 g3 %Saturated Fatg0 %Trans Fat0 g0 %Cholesterolmg0 %Sodium5 mg0 %Total Carbohydrate18 g6 %Dietary Fiber5 g20 %Sugars3 gN/AProtein6 g12 %
Vitamin A%Vitamin C2 %Calcium4 %Iron10 %
* Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
ground garbanzo beans
*Manufactured in a facility that also uses tree nuts and soy