DetailsFlaxseed was cultivated in Babylon as early as 3000 BC. In the 8th century, King Charlemagne believed so strongly in the health benefits of flaxseed that he passed laws requiring his subjects to consume it. Now, thirteen centuries later, some experts say we have preliminary research to back up what Charlemagne suspected.
Although flaxseed meal contains all sorts of healthy components, it owes its primary healthy reputation to three of them: omega-3 essential fatty acids, lignans and fiber. Omega-3 essential fatty acids are “good” fats that have been shown to have heart-healthy effects. Each tablespoon of ground flaxseed contains about 1.8 grams of plant omega-3s. Lignans have both plant estrogen and antioxidant qualities. Flaxseed contains 75 to 80 times more lignans than other plant foods. Flaxseed Meal is high in dietary fiber containing both the soluble and insoluble types. It’s also a powerful natural cholesterol controller. Our Flaxseed Meal is freshly milled to preserve the natural oils and nutrients.
Flaxseed meal can provide a nutritional punch to many baked goods. Add flaxseed meal to bread, pancakes, muffins, bars, cookies and other recipes for extra nutrition and a nutty flavor. Replace oil or shortening in a recipe with ground flaxseed. Substitute flaxseed at a 3:1 ratio for best results. Use flaxseed meal as an egg replacer in recipes for muffins, cakes, cookies, and pancakes. Use one tablespoon of flaxseed meal and 3 tablespoons of liquid to replace each egg called for in the recipe. Reduce the flour in a recipe by up to 25 percent and replace it with ground flaxseed. Find recipes and tips for flaxseed meal in our recipe collection.
- Additional Information
Free Shipping N/A
- Related Products
Customer Reviews 16 item(s)
- flaxseed meal isn't just for breakfast
- i use flaxseed on just about 90% of my foods. a fast breakfast for me is, 2 slices of whole grain bread, extra virgin olive oil and flax, a little s&p and some dried minced onion. now, that's GOOD! put it on any sandwhich, doesn't change the taste of it. any salads, dinners, just about anything and BEST of all, it's HEALTHY!!!
- Flaxseed and Horses
- I use the ground red flaxseed as a supplement for color enhancement on my palomino and buckskin horses. I darken my palomino by several shades for a showstopping golden color on my rather pale horse. My buckskin's coat is several shades redder. I also use it on my mare who has allergies to fly bites. Her hair loss is dramatically reduced. Great natural product.
- Great way to add some \"health\"
- I use this every morning in my breakfast smoothies and it's a great way to add nutrients, fiber, etc. Doesn't seem to have any flavor that I can tell.
- Love Flaxseed Meal
- I started using Bob's Red Mill Flaxseed Meal a couple months ago & have been using it everyday since. It's great for your health & diet. I use it in all my cereals hot or cold, yogurt lite, waffles, really anything you want to. It doesn't have a strong taste to it @ all and is really filling. It's good to add to your diet for so many different medical conditions. I have recommended it to so many
- Substitute for eggs - it does work!
- I had no idea that ground flaxseed meal could be mixed with water and used as an egg substitute until I read it on the side of the package and tried it. It really does work (especially in bread and pancakes). I'm working on losing weight, so using this trick makes my baked goods a little less bad for me.
- Love this stuff!
- I don't usually like things described as "healthy," so I was skeptical when I first tried it, and now it's a major part of my meal planning. My favorite way to have it is on it's own as a porridge. It's just 1/4 c flaxmeal, 1/2 c hot water, sprinkling of cinnamon, 2 pkts of Splenda, and a dash of vanilla. It's delicious and filling.
- my kids love it, too!
- Outstanding taste and texture. Above all else, my kids will eat it AND it's good for them!! I mix it with our yogurt in the morning and boy is it a hit! Thanks for such a wonderful and AFFORDABLE product! It will now be a staple in our house.
- Bob's F seed
- Easy to use. I dump a couple of TBSP's on my oatmeal in the morning. Add in walnuts and it is a tasty, healthy, filling breakfast.
- Man's best friend!
- I've been taking 2 full tablespoons of this every morning for years. Being a man in my 40's "keeping my pipes clean" is important. Hey, let's be honest, colon cancer is a huge issue for men. I like the fact that it really "moves things through" me, which can only be beneficial for my health. Also, I'm a natural skeptic but I really do notice a difference the days I forget to take this stuff!
- Awesome in Smoothies
- Here is my recipe for a breakfast smoothie. I have had this almost every morning for 2 years. It is very quick and filling and holds me till lunch. 2 Tablespoons of ground flax seed, 2 raw eggs, 1 banana, 3 ice cubes, 1 teaspoon of chocolate syrup. Blend in blender for a few seconds then enjoy. If you are concerned about the raw eggs use pasteurized.
- Excellent Product
- After touring the mill and hearing of the health benefits of adding flax meal to your diet, I bought a bag and decided to try it. It is a great addition to so many things, and you don't really notice it except for a subtle nutty flavor that is very pleasant. I've added it to cereal and salads, and sprinkled it on top of vegetables. It's great knowing that I've added something beneficial to my diet
- Best Nutrition in a Bag!
- This sale is a great chance to get whole or ground flax seed to start eating healthy. I add it to everything I bake. It is good in granola whole.
- I love this meal!
- I came across flax meal after having my second baby and looking for a good source of fiber. Little did I know all of the health benefits! I love the taste of the flax meal and add it to my oatmeal every morning. It is easy, tastes great and has helped my digestion.
- Thank you so much for ...
- Thank you so much for providing such great products! I have been using your ground flax seed meal, several flours, and pancake mix and I can't say enough about them. 2 different times I have emailed your site with questions about your products and both times I received thorough answers. I will definitely continue using your products!
- I am writing in regard to ...
- I am writing in regard to Bob's Red Mill Flax Seed Meal. I recently purchased a two pound bag of the flax seed meal. Having used the meal on several occasions now, I just wanted to let you know how refreshing it is to be able to buy a large quantity of "alternative" grain meal -- especially as a household looking to increase its protein consumption relative to carbohydrates. Thank you for providin
- I've just started back ...
- I've just started back using the ground flaxseed meal. I'm trying to improve my health and I know I'm on the right track with Bob's Red Mill products.
- Nutritional Info
Serving Size: 2 Tbsp (13 g) dry
Servings Per Container:
Amount Per Serving % Daily
ValueCalories60Calories from Fat40
Total Fat4.5 g7 %Saturated Fat0.5 g3 %Trans Fat0 g0 %Cholesterolmg0 %Sodiummg0 %Total Carbohydrate4 g1 %Dietary Fiber4 g16 %SugarsgN/AProtein3 g6 %
Vitamin A%Vitamin C%Calcium2 %Iron4 %
* Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Ground Whole Flaxseeds
*Manufactured in a facility that also uses tree nuts and soy