The Healthy Place in Your Store™
Bob's Red Mill "Creamy Rice" Brown Rice Farina Hot Cereal is whole grain cereal at its finest. We take the finest California brown rice and cut it into a few pieces to create a satisfyingly smooth cereal with a mild flavor. This wholesome cereal is a favorite of adults and kids alike. It's also gluten free, so it's a great alternative for people with special diets.
Whole grain brown rice is high in protein, iron and fiber. Rice is notoriously easy to digest, making this cereal perfect for those who have digestive issues and is great for little ones who need something simple, yet nutritious in their tummies.
"Creamy Rice" Brown Rice Farina makes a delicious and satisfying hot breakfast cereal or add chopped green onions, mushrooms and your favorite spices for a unique alternative to potatoes at dinner. Brown rice farina can be very sticky and is a fun alternative to polenta or grits in your favorite recipes. Find recipes using brown rice farina in our recipe section.
- Related Products
Customer Reviews 14 item(s)
- Delicious and Versatile
cook up a full batch (3 c water/1 c rice/1/2 tsp salt) to keep extra in the fridge for heating up throughout the week.
To serve, I like using 3/4 cooked rice and stirring in 1/4 c of ground flaxseed, 1 tb grass-fed butter, 1/2 c cream (or extra hot water), and (optionally) a good 1 tb of raw honey (or grade B maple syrup). Sometimes I leave out the sweetener though and just enjoy the savory nature of this with good butter and salt.
Flaxseed is a healing food for me, and this is a great way for me to get it into my diet. But here's the thing: the addition of the flaxseed kicks this cereal into another stratosphere. It's what truly makes this a complete, nourishing, delicious meal for me.
- Loved this
- I bought this on a whim because I love rice. I cooked it in my rice cooker and added organic butter and honey, it was delicious, wish I had made more.
- Help! 3 Questions for fans who love this
Help--I have three questions for those who love this, before I buy:
1) I do NOT like brown rice. Does it taste more like brown rice or white rice?
2) I love Nabisco Cream of Rice cereal, and can't find it anymore and love Bob's Red Mill Products...does this compare to Cream of Rice?
3) I do NOT like cream of wheat, either :( is it reminiscent of cream of wheat in texture or taste?
- Mmmm Mmmm Good!
- Made this for the first time today and I am in love! I didn't use water as the cooking directions recommended. I used almond and coconut milk, added some vanilla, brown sugar and coconut flakes... it was AMAZING!
- First try a mess in microwave
- I ate this for breakfast the first time today, and was very disappointed. It over flowed all over my microwave, making a gooey mess. Even that aside, I wasn't crazy about the taste. I much prefer my Red Mill organic creamy buckwheat cereal.
- This product is AWESOME
- I bought this product for the first time and I was a little nervous, I thought it would be like nasty Cream of Wheat. I made it for breakfast one morning and added a little milk, brown sugar and bananas and the taste blew me away. This product will always be in my cabinet!!!
- Our favorite!
- This is one of our family's favorite breakfasts ever! From the time our little ones have been able to start solid foods, they have loved this cereal - and so do we. It cooks up quickly, is definitely filling, and a great source of grains and iron. We've been buying it by the retail bags, but with three kids now, we're getting a 25lb bag the next time around!!
- Really Good!
- I make this as a dessert. I make it into a quick rice pudding by cooking with milk instead of water and adding brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and rasins. My whole family loves it with a scoop of ice cream or a splash of cream!
- Careful preparation needed by microwave
Having recently gone on a gluten free diet, one of the things that I've greatly missed is hot breakfast cereals.
When I saw this product, knowing the high quality of Bob's RM product, I immediately wanted to check it out, particularly because microwave preparation instructions are included.
While the cereal is very good (I add brown sugar), I probably still don't have a complete idea of what it should be like since I have yet to get it to cook properly. Following the instructions to microwave with a lid for 3 to 5 minutes, I have yet to find a dish large enough to prevent the cereal from overflowing into a gooey, sticky mess, even if it's only a cooked for 2 minutes while being stirred at the 1 minute mark or if it's a half serving. It always escapes whatever container it's placed in, quite amazingly, in fact. It still tastes good, but the microwave instructions are definitely wrong. I have a decent sized microwave (physically, though I'd describe it as underpowered), and a container large enough for the job would not fit in it.
- Awesome morning treat
- This is great with coconut milk and ghee. Sometimes we stir in some Agave or maple syrup and cinnamon. My 15 month old absolutely loves this cereal. We have found that it doesn't take long on the stovetop and it is better than the microwave option. Do not overcook. Any left overs we just store and reheat the next day with some coconut or almond milk on the stove. ENJOY!
- Favorite breakfast
- I eat this for breakfast and sometimes as a late night snack. I make it on the stove with milk but take it off the stove before it gets too thick otherwise it will become really solid in the bowl as opposed to a wonderful creaminess. I eat this with maple syrup and sometimes with fresh or warm berries. I like this better than cream of wheat and definitely better than a white rice farina I've tried
- Great Morning, Noon and Night.
- I love this cereal. I first bought it for a fast, hot breakfast option for fall and winter. It's great, because you can change it to suit your mood. I like it best with pumpkin butter, apricot butter or cinnamon and agave syrup. The only trouble I have with it is that it tends to cook over in my microwave, but I'm not convinced it isn't the shape of the bowl I use.
- Comfort food
- I needed something easily digested and my sister recommended this to me . I like the texture and taste. I add cinnamon to mine.
- Cream of Wheat used to be ...
- Cream of Wheat used to be my favorite breakfast. I'm eating healthier and gluten free now and I must say the brown rice farina beats cream of wheat hands down. Made with some cinnamon, agave nectar and soy creamer it's sooooo good!
- Nutritional Info
Serving Size: 1/4 cup(41g)
Servings Per Container: 17
Amount Per Serving % Daily
ValueCalories150Calories from Fat10
Total Fat1 g2 %Saturated Fat0 g0 %Trans Fat0 g0 %Cholesterol0 mg0 %Sodium5 mg0 %Total Carbohydrate32 g11 %Dietary Fiber2 g8 %Sugars0 gN/AProtein3 g6 %
Vitamin A0 %Vitamin C0 %Calcium0 %Iron4 %
* Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
whole grain brown rice
*Manufactured in a facility that also uses tree nuts and soy