Allow me to tell you a story:
It was a few weeks ago when I decided to make these epic rice krispie treats. I got to use a new-to-me ingredient, Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Tropical Muesli, and make one of my favorite childhood treats vegan.
Perfect. So excited.
So I mixed up the ingredients, pressed them into a pan, and threw them into the fridge as I anxiously waited for my rice krispies to cool.
I cut into them, shot them, and then called my boyfriend Mark into the room to give them a try.
He stuck it into his mouth and bit down with a giant crunch, and then his eyes lit up.
“Oh my gosh! These are the best rice krispie treats I’ve ever had!”
The best he’s ever had.
Yep. That’s what we’re dealing with today! Perfectly vegan and gluten free rice krispies spiked with whole grain love.
If you’ve ever made rice krispie treats before, you know how easy it is. Melt marshmallows with some sort of fat, mix in krispie rice cereal, boom. Done. We’re more or less doing the same thing here, just with a few twists:
- We’re adding in Tropical Muesli! I’ve never had muesli before, and to say I’m a total fan now is a complete understatement. I love the various mix-ins included in this muesli, like dried pineapple, coconut, freeze dried strawberries and macadamia nuts! So good. Plus we’re toasting the muesli (and mixing it with a bit more coconut) to really bring out the flavors and add another dimension of total yum to our rice krispies. Plus adding a few more nutrients into a marshmallow-filled treat is never a bad idea. Plus plus plus . . . having muesli in the house is a blessing during back-to-school time! An easy breakfast and/or snack--score!
- Instead of butter, we’re using coconut oil! Seriously a simple switch, and you’ll only need 3 tablespoons for the entire recipe.
- Vegan marshmallows! They may be a bit hard to come by for you, but you can search on Amazon for vegan marshmallows, or search stores like Whole Foods and/or Trader Joe’s. I found mine at Trader Joe’s!
- I used brown rice cereal because this is 2017 and I kinda feel like it’s a must. But white rice cereal will work just as well!
These treat totally took us back to our childhood, and we just loved them. I hope you do too!
Tropical Muesli Vegan Rice Krispie Treats
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 5 minutes | Total Time: 15 minutes | Makes 9-12 bars
- 3 Tbsp Coconut Oil, divided
- 1/2 cup Gluten Free Tropical Muesli
- 1/2 cup unsweetened flaked Coconut
- 10 oz Vegan Marshmallows*
- Pinch Salt
- 3-4 cups Brown Rice Cereal
Line a 9 x 9-inch baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
Melt 1 tablespoon coconut oil in a large pot over medium. Pour in your muesli and coconut, and toss to coat, stirring constantly until toasted. You’ll start to smell the oats and coconut toast in about 2 minutes. Pour your toasted muesli/coconut mixture into a bowl and set aside. Make sure there are no small pieces left behind in the pot so that they don’t burn.
Turn the heat to medium-low, and add your leftover 2 tablespoons coconut oil, marshmallows and salt into the pot. Allow the marshmallows to melt, then once they’re almost melted add in your brown rice cereal and muesli/coconut mixture. Mix to combine thoroughly, then pour the mixture into your prepared baking pan.
Allow to cool completely before cutting into squares. Store in an airtight container.
*These may be a bit hard to come by, but you can search on Amazon for vegan marshmallows or search stores like Whole Foods and/or Trader Joe’s. I found mine at Trader Joe’s!
Alexa Peduzzi is the fruit & veggie-obsessed girl behind Fooduzzi, the plant-based and gluten free food blog. She’s a self-trained cook with a special weakness for cookies, peanut butter, and roasted broccoli. She currently works as the Community and Event Specialist at Food Blogger Pro, and she lives in Pittsburgh, PA with her boyfriend, Mark, and cat, Maya. Follow Fooduzzi for more plant-based and gluten-free recipes!