This recipe is an Autumn-inspired version of our Gluten Free Baked Old Fashioned Donuts. Instead of milk we're using Apple Cider that's been reduced by half so the flavor is super intense! We bump up the flavor even more by adding lots of fresh nutmeg and cinnamon before rolling the warm donuts in a cinnamon sugar mixture. In case you're unable to make it out to your local apple farm, we're bringing the flavor of traditional Apple Cider Donuts to your kitchen ... and your mouth! 🙂
This Apple Cider Donut recipe uses our Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour and the texture is so perfect! They are crispy and crunchy on the outside thanks to the cinnamon sugar mixture, and tender perfection on the inside. While testing the recipe I tried dunking one in my coffee and it was ... an excellent idea. I ate three in a row and then proceeded to make 4 more batches of donuts thanks to my combined sugar/caffeine high! Enough chatting, I know you're ready for the recipe!
Gluten Free Apple Cider Donuts
- 1 1/2 cups Apple Cider
- 3/4 cups Sugar
- 6 tablespoons Butter (room temperature)
- 1 Egg
- 1 1/2 cups Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated Nutmeg
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- Pinch of Salt
- 2 tablespoons melted Butter
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 tbsp Cinnamon (or try Pumpkin Pie Spice!)
Special Tools Needed:
- Donut pan (we used one by Wilton)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a donut pan with oil.
- In a medium pot over medium-high heat, reduce 1 1/2 cups of Apple Cider down to 3/4 cup. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl cream together sugar and room temperature butter with electric mixer until light and creamy - about 3-4 minutes.
- Add egg to sugar mixture and mix until thoroughly combined.
- In a separate bowl combine the Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Alternately add and mix the flour and cooled apple cider into the sugar mixture until thoroughly combined.
- Portion half of the donut mix into the prepared donut pan, filling molds 3/4 of the way.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- In separate bowls, melt butter and whisk together sugar and cinnamon.
- Remove donuts from pan and allow to cool slightly. Brush with melted butter and roll in cinnamon sugar mixture. Enjoy!
Yields 12 donuts