Oatmeal originated in Scotland centuries ago and was different from our modern rolled oats. A coarse meal was produced by slowly grinding the kernel between two large mill stones. Many years ago, Bob visited Scotland and learned the art of stone milling at the historic, water-powered Preston Mill. Today, Bob's Red Mill Scottish Oatmeal is produced in the same old fashioned way and contains all the health giving nutrients of the best quality oats from which it was ground--the germ, the oil and the fiber. The result is a surprisingly unique and flavorful hot cereal.
Today oats are widely accepted as nutritional powerhouses for dietary fiber and protein. Oats contain a special type of fiber that is especially good for the reduction of cholesterol called beta-glucan. Beta-glucans also aid in the support of the immune system and can help regulate blood sugar. They are also wonderful for soothing irritated skin when used in baths.
Scottish Oatmeal is the original porridge of ancient Scotland and has been a staple breakfast here at the mill for years. This whole grain oatmeal makes a deliciously, smooth and creamy hot cereal to start your morning off right and add fiber to your diet. Find 20 fun and unique ways to top your oatmeal at bobsredmill.com/oatmeal.
- Related Products
Customer Reviews 19 item(s)
- Wonderfully Flavorful and Healthy
- I love this product! It's wonderfully flavorful and satisfying. My local [...] in Arroyo Grande seems to have discontinued it. I hope it is available nearby.
- The Only Oatmeal I'll Eat!
- So easy to microwave it! I use 1/4 cup to 3/4 cup water, 2 dashes of sea salt using a deep bowl (to keep from overflowing)I microwave it for 90 seconds and then stir. Nuke it again for another minute or so...stir then cover the bowl and let it sit for 3 minutes to finish cooking.|Be sure to watch it while cooking so it doesn't boil over the side of the bowl.|Perfect!|What's GREAT about this Scott
- The Best Breakfast
- I've been eating this oatmeal every morning for several years. I mix in a 1/4 c ricotta cheese, cinnamon and agave nectar to a serving of oatmeal, and this makes for a tasty and healthy breakfast which provides me with protein. Best Breakfast Ever
- I'll never go back to 'regular' oatmeal
- I discovered this product after returning from a trip to Scotland, where I loved the oatmeal. I love the hearty taste and non-gelatinous texture of this oatmeal. I'm very sorry to report that my usual local stores that carried this oatmeal seem to have stopped carrying it one by one - so I think I have to convince more people of how great it is! I really don't want to go back to the old oatmeal!
- Never liked oatmeal till I tried this.
- I never liked oatmeal (even though I knew it was good for me) because of its texture and it just didn't taste right. Someone suggested I try Bob's Red Mill Scottish Oatmeal...and it totally changed my mind. Both my husband and I have been eating it ever since. If you're turned off by oatmeal, try this one before you give up.
- Creamiest Oatmeal Ever
- I've been eating a lot of the other excellent Bob's cereals (Mighty Tasty with Sorghum syrup is another favorite) but when I tried this oatmeal this morning I was absolutely blown away. It is soooo creamy and flavorful. I added a little milk and maple syrup to it, but it would be fine just plain.||I also have found that this and other hot breakfast cereals cook really well in a small rice cooker
- Wonderful oatmeal
- The running joke in my family is my oatmeal tastes like "bark", because of course nothing is as good as grandma's oatmeal! BUT! that all changed with Bob's Scottish Oatmeal. Yes once again I am queen of the kitchen HA! this is amazing oatmeal, microwave or stove top it doesn't take much to have a delish dish of warm oatmeal that you can add 1/2 & 1/2, honey, brown sugar or dried berries - whateve
- My Every Day Breakfast!
- I literally have this oatmeal every single day of my life--for breakfast! I've been eating it every day for a little over a year, and I still love it! I know I am eating something healthy, filling, and yummy! I use 1/3 cup of oatmeal to 1 cup of water and add nothing but 1 packet of Splenda and 1/2 tsp. of butter. I never get tired of it! I buy out the store everytime I go--one of our local s
- Wonderful breakfast
- During our visit to Scotland this year, our host provided Scottish oatmeal. It was wonderful and am so glad to find this product in the US. I love the texture as I find it much better than the rolled oats. A great hearty breakfast and I would recommend to everyone.
- Great taste
- Being Scottish born and bred we get to know what are good oats and what are average. These oats are lovely, have a fantastic flavour and are very healthy since they release energy slowly. Using both a microwave or stove top produces great results. Thanks
- Yummy and Great Texture
- I like rolled oats, but this has a better texture. It has a bit of chewiness like steel-cut oats, but it's much faster and easier to cook.|I put 1/4 cup of this with 3/4 cup water in the microwave for 5:30. Easy. Then I drop in dark chocolate or chopped dates or blueberries or a slice of apple pie (I know, that's decadent, but it's also delicious).|I wish my local stores carried the organic versio
- Best ever oatmeal
- I made 'brose' with it as my father did every morning. He added a little boiling water to 3 tablespoons in a bowl, put a little butter on top, covered it with a saucer and let it stand for a few minutes. He added whole milk before eating it.|I confess to adding a little half and half after cooking it in the microwave with a little boiling water (no butter)|For the diet-conscious, a little oatmeal
- I Lucked Out!!!
- My local grocer is remodeling and clearing items off it's shelves fortunately, I was able to purchase 8 different Bob's Red Mill products WAY, WAY below cost! I have wanted to try your products for a long time now, but as a single-mom on a limited budget, I had to skip over your products in favor of those more economical. Now, look what you have started! I've come searching for coupons to enable
- Quick, Easy, Oatmeal
- Easy to prepare. Three (3) minutes in the microwave and your ready to go.
Just great! Aye!
- This tastes just like it ...
This tastes just like it did in Scotland. They serve it to you every morning. I loved it then and love it now. Thanks
- Bob's Scottish Oatmeal is ...
- Bob's Scottish Oatmeal is so far above the typical rolled oat hot cereal, I will never go back. Very unique flavor. Favorite breakfast at our house (6 kids).
- The organic Scottish ...
- The organic Scottish Oatmeal was absolutely outstanding. The taste took me back to my youth growing up in a Scotch-Irish community where we frequently had oatmeal that tasted just like this.
- Great cereal but a bit ...
- Great cereal but a bit overpriced.
- Nutritional Info
Serving Size: 1/4 cup
Servings Per Container: 15
Amount Per Serving % Daily
ValueCalories140Calories from Fat20
Total Fat2.5 g4 %Saturated Fat0.5 g3 %Trans Fat0 g0 %Cholesterol0 mg0 %Sodium0 mg0 %Total Carbohydrate23 g8 %Dietary Fiber4 g16 %Sugars0 gN/AProtein6 g12 %
Vitamin A0 %Vitamin C0 %Calcium2 %Iron10 %
* Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
whole grain oats
*Manufactured in a facility that also uses tree nuts, soy, wheat, and milk