Organic Steel Cut Oats are simply whole oat groats that have been cut into neat little pieces on a steel buhr mill. We use high protein, whole grain organic oats that have been lightly toasted to create our hearty steel cut oats. Also known as Irish oats or pinhead oats, steel cut oats create a chewy, full-bodied hot cereal.
Steel Cut Oats have always been a universal customer favorite at Bob’s Red Mill. Their robust oat flavor, texture and ease of preparation plus proven nutritious benefits and cholesterol reduction make them a perfect breakfast. A few years back we learned of the World Championship Porridge Competition in Scotland called the “Golden Spurtle.” At that point we had yet to discover the spurtle – a centuries-old Scottish wooden porridge stirring implement.
The Bob’s Red Mill team traveled to Carrbridge, Scotland to compete in the Golden Spurtle World Porridge Championship. We competed against fourteen other teams from around the globe. Our team’s belief in our porridge skills and our consistently superior oats never wavered. That crisp October morning all teams paraded through town behind a bagpipe band. After three heats of competition, we remained one of five finalists. All five finalists prepared their traditional recipe – oats, salt and water – for the judges. Finally, the announcement: “Bob’s Red Mill, is the new Golden Spurtle World Porridge Champion.”
The Bob’s Red Mill Steel Cut Oats we knew to be superior were now proven the “WORLD’S BEST”. The simple, winning recipe using oats, salt and water is on our package so you can make the World’s Best Oatmeal® at home.
We had so much fun at the Golden Spurtle, that we began The Spar for the Spurtle™: the ultimate oatmeal throw down so we could share the fun with our customers. Spar for the Spurtle™ asks customers to submit their recipes using steel cut oats for a chance to win a trip to Scotland to compete in the Golden Spurtle Championship on our behalf. Learn more about this fun competition at www.sparforthespurtle.com and throw your hat in the ring!
Oats are a notoriously healthy breakfast choice, being high in soluble fiber and protein. They are also incredibly versatile. Steel cut oats can be used to make risotto, pilaf, dumplings, arancini and more! Browse our extensive collection of recipes using our steel cut oats here.
- Related Products
Customer Reviews 13 item(s)
- Delicious without sweeteners!
Mmmm. I prefer to add 1 cup oatmeal per 4 cups water and cook 35 minutes, so I guess I prefer it on the softer side. To my bowl I add a few dashes of parmesan cheese, a healthy sprinkling of nutritional yeast and a splash of Udo's oil...a completely sugar free and delicious way of eating oatmeal.
- Eat them raw
- I often follow a Raw Foods regime and think these Steel Cut Oats to be delicious (we already know about nutritious) way to start each day.|I put a couple of cups of the oats in a bowl with a lid, add water to cover the oats and soak overnights. I then drain off the water and leave them in the fridge for several days breakfasts. |I eat them with yogurt and fruit for a very happy breakfast.
- The best
- Love the chewy texture of steel cut. Tried an instant envelope of oatmeal at a hotel breakfast and had to spit it out, was awful tasted like school paste. I even eat steel cut oatmeal for dinner, make 3 or 4 servings at a time.
- I buy 2 25 bags a year of Organic Steel
- 2 of us go though 50 pounds of steel cut oats a year,and have for years.So my conclusion is we must like Bobs Organic Steel Cut Oats.
- best oatmeal I ever had
- I mix this with ground Red Mill Flax seed and 5 Oats / Grain ~ 3:1 add to 2cups of boiling water and simmer, cool down for ~20min. Next day add boiled water and microwave for 1.5 min. Mix with water to desired consistancy.
- Delicious and nutritious
- These oats are my usual breakfast in the morning. I add roasted ground flax seed, protein powder, a bit of brown sugar, and milk. And some strawberries, too. What a great way to start the day!
- Best Breakfast!
- I discovered Steel Cut Oats a couple of months ago and I will never go back to the rolled kind- especially not, (gasp), instant! I now have a serving for breakfast every morning and have been having so much fun finding healthy but yummy things to put into my oats. You could literally have it every morning and it could taste different. I start out by making a batch in my crock pot that will last
- Great for a pre-ride meal
- I eat a bowl of these about 90 minutes before a long bike ride. I add a sliver of olive oil spread, some brown sugar, and that's it. It tastes good, has lots of texture, and fills me up. It lasts a long time and I find that I need to eat less on the bike. It sits easy in my stomach so I don't have to worry about trouble during exercise. Tasty, healthy, simple food! Perfect!
- STEEL CUT OATS...
- I like it crunchy. I also (to 1 cup of uncooked oats) add half a teaspoon each of ground ginger, ground cinnamon & ground cardamom. It tastes like desert..
- The best around!!!
- The best organic steel cut oats around! My wife and I eat them at least twice a day. There's not a better brand than Bob's! I like mine a little crunchy and not mushy at all.||I bring a lot water to a boil and only cook them for 10-12 minutes. I then drain the extra water and add extra-virgin olive oil. Talk about an amazing meal as well as healthy. Have fun and Bob- keep up the good work!!!
- The Best of All!
It is the very best of all the oatmeal we've cooked. We've been buying the steel cut oats for about 4 years and nothing compares to it. I recommend you try the recipe from America's Test Kitchen...so good it is almost dessert!
- I've been eating "oatmeal" for a long time because it has always stayed with me while I'm out riding my bike. This past week was my first try with BRM's Steel cut oats. My race went very well! Rode to the race, raced, then rode home with no problems, and got the big W! Put in 70 miles and it didn't faze me. Also, they sponsor our Cyclocross series in Ohio. Thanks!
- Scottissh oatmeal is ...
- Scottissh oatmeal is great with a good source of fiber , you could almost eat it w/o milk or sugar, keeps you feeling full for hours. Now I know what my ancestors ate in the 1700's.In Scotland.Enjoy to your hearts content..
- Nutritional Info
Serving Size: 1/4 cup (44g)
Servings Per Container: 15
Amount Per Serving % Daily
ValueCalories170Calories from Fat25
Total Fat3 g5 %Saturated Fat0.5 g3 %Trans Fat0 g0 %Cholesterol0 mg0 %Sodium0 mg0 %Total Carbohydrate29 g10 %Dietary Fiber5 g20 %Sugars0 gN/AProtein7 g14 %
Vitamin A0 %Vitamin C0 %Calcium2 %Iron10 %
* Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
organic whole grain oats
*Manufactured in a facility that also uses tree nuts, soy, wheat, and milk