Flaxseed was cultivated in Babylon as early as 3000 BC. In the 8th century, King Charlemagne believed so strongly in the health benefits of flaxseed that he passed laws requiring his subjects to consume it. Now, thirteen centuries later, some experts say we have preliminary research to back up what Charlemagne suspected.
Although flaxseed meal contains all sorts of healthy components, it owes its primary healthy reputation to three of them: omega-3 essential fatty acids, lignans and fiber. Omega-3 essential fatty acids are “good” fats that have been shown to have heart-healthy effects. Each tablespoon of ground flaxseed contains about 1.8 grams of plant omega-3s. Lignans have both plant estrogen and antioxidant qualities. Flaxseed contains 75 to 80 times more lignans than other plant foods. Flaxseed Meal is high in dietary fiber containing both the soluble and insoluble types. It’s also a powerful natural cholesterol controller. Our Golden Flaxseed Meal is freshly milled to preserve the natural oils and nutrients. There is no nutritional difference between golden and brown flaxseed meal.
Golden flaxseed meal can provide a nutritional punch to many baked goods. Add flaxseed meal to bread, pancakes, muffins, bars, cookies and other recipes for extra nutrition and a nutty flavor. Replace oil or shortening in a recipe with ground flaxseed. Substitute flaxseed at a 3:1 ratio for best results. Use flaxseed meal as an egg replacer in recipes for muffins, cakes, cookies, and pancakes. Use one tablespoon of flaxseed meal and 3 tablespoons of liquid to replace each egg called for in the recipe. Reduce the flour in a recipe by up to 25 percent and replace it with ground flaxseed. Find recipes and tips for flaxseed meal in our recipe collection.
- Related Products
Customer Reviews 5 item(s)
- Great in smoothies!
- this is a great product and an easy way to add omega -3 to your diet. I use it in my smoothies every morning - keeps me full for hours!
- Low Carb Nutritious Delishiousness
- As a diabetic, I'm always looking for low-carb food options. Also like things that are nutrition-packed and easy to use. My sister gave me a recipe for low-carb flax buns that have less than 1 carb each and I ran right out and bought the ingredients. The buns are terrific. I no longer buy bread and eat these buns every day using them for sandwiches of just toasted with a bowl of home-made veget
- Upping HDL
- I sprinkle it on cereal, oatmeal, and salad. To be truthful, I don't really taste it. But my HDL went up, which I needed.
- Tastes great on yogurt.
- I put a tablespoon on my yogurt every morning. It adds a nutty flavor, is healthy and delicious.
- cholesterol cutter
- Mixed with oatmeal lowered my cholesterol from 295 to 157 (with diet) in 4 weeks!!!
- Nutritional Info
Serving Size: 2 Tbsp. (13g)
Servings Per Container:
Amount Per Serving % Daily
ValueCalories60Calories from Fat40
Total Fat4.5 g7 %Saturated Fat0.5 g3 %Trans Fat0 g0 %Cholesterolmg0 %Sodiummg0 %Total Carbohydrate4 g1 %Dietary Fiber4 g16 %SugarsgN/AProtein3 g6 %
Vitamin A%Vitamin C%Calcium2 %Iron4 %
* Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
*Manufactured in a facility that also uses tree nuts and soy