NEW AND IMPROVED RECIPESweeten all your special occasions, celebrations and whimsical indulgences with this incomparably delicious, wonderfully moist gluten free cake. This rich chocolate cake mix is amazingly simple to prepare. Just add a few simple ingredients from your pantry, stir, and bake. One package of mix makes an 8-inch layer cake or 12 cupcakes. It’s the perfect choice for a gluten-free birthday cake! Made in our dedicated gluten free facility using only the finest ingredients, including high quality cocoa powder and a wholesome blend of gluten free flours.
- Related Products
Customer Reviews 32 item(s)
- I think this it the best by far, gluten free cake product that I have used and have gotten rave reviews. I have my own homemade baking business and I cannot get any combination of gluten free products to taste this good. I even am making this cake for a upscale family owned restaurant that is looking forward to having a gluten free cake on their menu. I add more homemade touches and you would never know. Keep making this product, I will be buying this in bulk providing I get the ratio for the cake mix recipe.
- Delicious and moist
- I was concerned about some of the reviews I read, but I was very happy with the result. Don't taste the raw batter and judge it off of that. I tasted the raw batter and agree with other reviews, it doesn't taste good. I baked it as instructed (making no changes to the batter) and the cake turned out delicious. I made it for my dad's birthday cake and no one could tell that it was gluten free.
- Great taste and excellent value
- I am surprised when I saw some 1 star reviews with this cake mix. I really like this mix and I do not like chocolate cake in general. I love the bean flour used in it as it really is what gives it it's "gluten" like texture and rise. We make cupcakes with this mix and they are very tasty, I don't even bother to frost them. We freeze them and pull them out for the occasional dessert treat or snack.
- Made this for my husbands birthday and didn't tell him about it being gluten free and he loved it. Really good with fresh strawberries. Like most people writing reviews, the raw batter shouldn't be devoured like others...bummer, but the outcome is well worth it. Shared with co-workers, told them it was gluten free so if tasted strange, it's prob because they aren't used to the different flour.
- Really good!
I made cupcakes from this mix, and they are very tasty and good texture! I can't detect any of the gluten-free grittiness (which I think is from rice flour, but not sure). The raw batter was AWFUL tasting and gave me pause(I know, I know, I shouldn't eat batter because of the raw eggs) but after I baked the cupcakes, they were excellent! I didn't bother to frost them - they are yummy just as they are.
Also, someone commented that they leave their cake batter rest 10 minutes so the top smooths. I inadvertently had to rest mine because the ignitor on my gas oven failed, and I had to pull out a portable electric oven I use only in the summer. They came out great even though they sat half an hour before baking.
I think some of the negative reviews are from people who tasted the raw batter, which was noxious. The texture was so good with the bean flour, I may experiment with that more.
- Wonderful! Very Impressed!
- Grateful to have discovered this product.
- My wife has been gluten free for several years and has come to terms that baked products just don't work very well without gluten. I made this chocolate cake for her, following the recipe closely and layered it with raspberry jam and cream cheese frosting. It was absolutely amazing and she said that it reminded her of how a baked good was supposed to taste. I thought it was one of the few if not only baked good that I could not distinguish from a gluten containing item. Granted, it was a cake which would not utilize a lot of gluten protein anyways but that should not diminish from the quality of this product. I purchased it in bulk from Bob's store and forgot about it for at least six months before using it which didn't seem to affect the mix.
- This is a simply WONDERFUL chocolate cake. I don't need to be gluten free and neither does my husband. We can eat all types of wheat, but we so love this chocolate cake, just because it is so wonderful and yummy. I don't buy cheap cake mixes in the store with low quality ingredients. I would rather make a homemade cake, so this cake really helps with convenience and avoids all the bad for us ingredients. So wonderful with some homemade chocolate frosting, and a glass of milk. I always give my co-worker a great big piece when I make this cake because she really loves it, as well. Thank You Bob's Red Mill for fantastic products. Who doesn't love a wonderful chocolate cake? THANK YOU! HUGS!
- They are great
- Cupcakes|Very Surprised at how well they came up and how good they tasted.
- My nephew has many food allergies. We started making this cake for his birthday and there would be a second cake for everyone else. The rest of us tried his cake last year and found it to be rich, and had great texture. My nephew is allergic to citrus fruit, dairy, nuts, and eggs. I use soy "butter" and soy milk. I substitute vinegar for the lemon juice and cornstarch and water for egg (3tbs water + 1tbs cornstarch =1 egg). This cake is a hit and has been made for the last three family birthdays and I have been asked to make it for thanksgiving. My nephew is thrilled that he gets to have the same thing as everyone else. I think I need to stock up on this mix.
- The Best Vegan Cupcakes
- I made these cupcakes vegan. Bottom line, best cupcakes I've ever had. I used coconut oil, chocolate soy milk, and flaxseed egg substitute. I then topped with vegan buttercream frosting and toasted coconut. To die for. Promise.
- Excellent Vegan GF Cupcakes!
- I "veganized" this mix by using Energy Egg Replacer and room temp. almond milk. The cupcakes rose beautifully and the taste was fabulous! I had tried GF recipes from scratch, but they tended to have a sawdust texture. Not true for these beauties...they were moist & most satisfying. I froze half of the batch (unfrosted) and I refrigerate a few at a time to thaw, then add icing. These are DANG GOOD GF, VEGAN CUPCAKES! THX to Bob's Red Mill. :-D
- Wedding cupcake success
- For my son's fancy wedding reception, they ordered cupcakes from a bakery. I volunteered to bake some gluten-free cupcakes. Decided to make them vegan too since my daughter & several guests have that dietary preference, so used the flaxseed egg alternative (easy) and non-dairy milk. The cupcakes were so delicious, frosted with vegan "buttercream" frosting, I noticed several people who normally
- I'm new to gluten-free foods and many of them are just awful.... Takes some adjustment, I'm sure, but I was so pleasantly surprised at how good tasting and moist this cake was, I would never have known it wasn't made with white flour. It tasted exactly like any very good chocolate cake mix.
- This is AMAZING!
- I am allergic to wheat, rice and soy protein, so I cannot eat most cake mixes. I have tried other mixes and baked goods from GF bakeries and have been very disappointed.||I decided to try the Red Mill chocolate cake mix to make cupcakes for my birthday, and I was VERY impressed! Not only was it moist, light and delicious, my husband couldn't tell that it wasn't a regular flour cake mix...and he
- Awesome GF Chocolate Cake Mix
- I used this cake mix to make cupcakes. They were delicious and the texture was similar to that of a regular chocolate cake.|*Observations while baking: If the batter is baked immediately, the tops of the cupcakes come out bumpy. If you let the batter sit for at least 10 minutes, it thickens up. The baked cupcakes then rise more and the tops look smoother.
- Best Chocolate Cake Mix out there
- My kids have food allergies between the two of them that puts us on a casein free and gluten free diet. Baked goods are the hardest to mimic with alternative ingredients. My kids can also not have eggs. Most cake mixes (and I've tried many upon many) fall completely flat or don't leave the batter stage (even after baking) when you don't have the egg. I used an egg replacer in this mix and it t
- Absolutely Delicious
- Gluten-free products can be difficult to rise, not the case with this cake mix. I'm learning to cook all over again since my husband was diagnosed with Celiac Disease. This cake is so delicious, it's like one of those that every time you walk into the kitchen you just have to have another sliver of it. I might have ate more of it then my husband. Can't wait to try the Vanilla cake mix. Thank you B
- excellent product
- I am not gluten intolerant but thought I would try the product anyway.
- Funny story...I made this cake for our son's first birthday. He is allergic to wheat, rice, soy, nuts and eggs. I followed the recipe using the Flaxseed substitute for eggs. The batter was REALLY thick and my KitchenAid mixer was having a hard time getting through it. I kept commenting to my husband that the batter was like concrete! We just laughed and let it continue to bake. It took about 30 mi
- You'd never know it was GF
- My spouse and I have been searching for an easy chocolate cake mix since we discovered we are gluten intolerant. Since we have had a great experience with other Bob's products (after tasting the great Steel Cut Oats the the Gloucester CX race), we decided to try this mix. You can't tell the difference in the cake from regular mixes made by the large conglomerates, but without that annoying oil res
- For chocolate lovers only
- Too chocolatey for me, needs a white frosting to tone it down a little. Not bad to use occasionally.
- Tasty and simple to bake
- I love baking and chocolate is my downfall. I have many friends who cannot have regular chocolate cakes or flour/cakes from a box in general. SO this is the perfect solution. Let me first say- refrain from licking the bowl or beaters, the batter itself does not tast good, of course there is a multitude of reasons to not lick raw batter but we all do so... with that said-- I was really and I mean r
- Awesome Taste
- Best Cake
- This is one of the best cakes I have ever had regular or gluten free. I get requests from friends to bring my "chocolate cake dessert" all of the time. It is so good I hardly ever even use frosting. I just mix strawberries and cool whip and spread in between the layers and sprinkle powdered sugar on top.
- Best Cake Mix EVER!!
- This is the BEST gluten free cake I have ever made or eaten. The texture is light and the cake raises as well as any regular cake would. The flavor is fantastic. Many GF cakes I have made did not raise and were very heavy and not flavorful. It was so nice to enjoy a chocolate cake again!!! Everyone raved about how beautiful and delicious the cake was...and Gluten Free!!Thanks!
- Yum, yum and double yum!
- I bake this chocolate cake mix in a bundt pan. It comes out wonderfully moist and delicious. I am the only family member who has Celiac Disease, and I made this cake for my grandson's birthday, frosted with GF chocolate frosting. It was a hit! The birthday party was at our daughter's house, and we left what remained of the cake at her house (darn!). The next morning I received a call from my d
- Almost Too Good to be True!
- I cook for just my husband and myself, so I decided to divide the cake mix in half. I made 12 cupcakes, evenly dividing the cake batter. Then I mixed together a topping: 4 oz cream cheese (softened), 1/6 C sugar, 1/2 egg and 1/16 t salt. I divided the topping evenly among the 12 cupcakes and sprinkled on some mini chocolate chips. I baked them at 350* for 25-30 min. and they raised perfectly t
- Best GF choc cake mix
- I'm an experienced GF baker, and my homemade cakes do not compare with the taste and texture of this mix. Better than the other GF brands I've tried.|The tricky part is spreading it in pans so that the batter doesn't rise up super high in the middle. I try to spread it slightly concave, to compensate. (If not making layers, then it doesn't really matter anyway.)|My non-GF family doesn't even notic
- Perfect cake every time!
- Perfect cake every time!
- Cake was great, no ...
- Cake was great, no aftertaste, granddaughter loved it.
- This cake is so good that ...
- This cake is so good that I would choose it instead of non-gluten free cake!
- Nutritional Info
Serving Size: 1/16th pkg. (28g mix)
Servings Per Container: 16
Amount Per Serving % Daily
ValueCalories110Calories from Fat5
Total Fat0 g0 %Saturated Fat0 g0 %Trans Fat0 g0 %Cholesterol0 mg0 %Sodium230 mg10 %Total Carbohydrate25 g8 %Dietary Fiber1 g4 %Sugars15 gN/AProtein1 g2 %
Vitamin A0 %Vitamin C0 %Calcium0 %Iron8 %
* Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Sugar, Gluten Free Flour Blend (Sweet White Rice Flour, Brown Rice Flour, Potato Starch, Whole Grain Sorghum Flour, Tapioca Flour, Xanthan Gum), Cocoa Powder, Baking Powder (Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate, Corn Starch, Monocalcium Phosphate), Baking Soda, Sea Salt, Natural Vanilla Powder (Sugar, Cornstarch, Vanilla Extract).
*Manufactured in a facility that also uses tree nuts and soy