Pearl Barley—one of the world's oldest and most treasured grains—is used by cooks and chefs around the globe. Pearl Barley has the bran partially removed before it is polished, resulting in a smooth surface and quicker cooking time. However, pearled barley retains significant amounts of fiber, because barley contains fiber throughout the entire kernel and not just in the outer bran layer.
Pearl barley is very versatile and lends itself to a variety of dishes. Add pearl barley to soups, stir fries and stews in place of rice for a tasty change. It can also be cooked up as a hot cereal, stirred into salads, or used in stuffings. The mild nutty flavor and tender chewy texture is also wonderful in pilaf or risotto. See the back of our package for two scrumptious recipes using Barley—Pearl Barley Salad and Chicken Soup with Barley. Customers tell us our Pearl Barley is a great addition to our Vegi Soup Mix. Or, try our Pearl Barley in Scotch Broth, the quintessential Scottish soup made with pearl barley, lamb, and root vegetables. The options are bountiful!
- Related Products
Customer Reviews 3 item(s)
- Eating barley all my life
- I have been eating barley way before I knew what it was. As a kid my favorite soup was Campbell's Scotch Broth. At the time I thought the barley was some kind of pasta. Now I know better, and I make my own beef barley soup with just a little bit of beef and hardly any salt. But I always use hulled barley, not pearled barley. Hulled barley is to brown rice as pearled barley is to white rice.
- Tender, flavorful, lost tradition
- I think barley is one of those forgotten items that some asert to a "yuck food" from childhood. But in todays world I think chefs are begining to revitalize this tasty little grain. Healthy, and so versitil its perfect for lamb, beef or even a hearty winter soup. I add this to Bobs Vegi soup and its perfect everytime. I also add this to a lamb shank soup that my kids really devour, lamb is so unde
- An awseome heirloom grain!!!
- Growing up in the 50's and 60's my paternal Grandmother whose roots went back to Scotland would make the BEST Scotch Broth or what we called lamb soup, which had the meat from the bones she had cooked down, along with carrots, celery, and a wee bit of onion, along with barley which when cooked is so delicious. Its seen as a frugal soup, but doesnt mean its boring.||Barley is what I call an heirloo
- Nutritional Info
Serving Size: 1/4 cup(50g)
Servings Per Container: 17
Amount Per Serving % Daily
ValueCalories180Calories from Fat5
Total Fat1 g2 %Saturated Fat0 g0 %Trans Fat0 g0 %Cholesterol0 mg0 %Sodium0 mg0 %Total Carbohydrate39 g13 %Dietary Fiber8 g32 %Sugars0 gN/AProtein5 g10 %
Vitamin A0 %Vitamin C0 %Calcium2 %Iron6 %
* Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
*Manufactured in a facility that also uses tree nuts, soy, wheat, and milk