DetailsBob’s Red Mill Organic Polenta Corn Grits are made using only the finest golden corn for a rich flavor that is sure to please your palate, any meal of the day. Native Americans offered the first settlers in the US bowls of Rockahominie, a dish consisting of ground up corn grain cooked into a creamy mixture. It is believed this corn mixture kept many of the settlers alive during those cold winters. Today, corn grits hold a prominent place in soul food and southern dishes. They are also used as a side or a pairing with dishes containing very heavily spiced ingredients. Grits may be eaten covered in gravy, cheese or butter and salt; or served with seafood, meats or vegetables. Grits also make a delightful breakfast when served as a hot cereal topped with milk and honey or brown sugar. Grits are a great way to help meet your body's daily energy needs. The fiber content in grits helps you feel full for longer periods of time and promotes regular digestive functioning. Polenta is a dish that has been popular in Italian and other European cuisine, and is now gaining fans in America as well. It is made from coarse ground corn (grits), boiled in water to create a porridge. This can be topped and served immediately for a warm corn side dish. Alternatively, you can spread the porridge in a pan and refrigerate it until it sets. Then the polenta can be cut into squares and baked, grilled or fried. Similar to pasta, cooked polenta is delicious topped with marinara sauce, shredded cheese, or grilled or roasted vegetables. Many gourmet Italian and Mediterranean restaurants feature our polenta. The recipes on our packages are simple and delicious.
- Related Products
Customer Reviews 8 item(s)
- Great product!
I'm also from the South and was raised eating grits. I use milk instead of water to make them and then top them with fresh butter. Another favorite way to make them is with chopped onions sautéed in butter and grated cheddar cheese .
- Organic and non-gmo
I make it my mission to find these organic grits because they are made from non-gmo corn. That is important to me and my family. I like it savory with little bit of coconut oil, nutritional yeast, salt, white pepper while hubby and son enjoy them sweet cinnamon &coconut sugar. Any way you have them it's good.
- Thank you Bob's Red Mill!
I love GRITS! I am from the South and was raised eating Grits. The Organic Polenta Corn Grits are AWESOME! I am a customer forever! Much better than King Arthur Flour products, hands down!
1/2 diced onion, 1/2 cup sausage broken into bits, 2 tbs butter,
1/2 cup cream, for 1 cup of yellow polenta grits. 2 soft boiled eggs over the grits in a bowl. To die for.
- Corn is gluten free
- Someone said this isn't gluten free. The only ingredient is organic corn. It's manufactured in the same lab as gluten items so they can't label it gluten free. I'm pretty sure you'll be ok unless you have a lethal contact allergy to trace amounts of gluten that probably don't even get into this item.
- Delicious Texture
- When I make polenta with these corn grits, the texture is divine. I use 4 cups low sodium chicken or turkey stock, 2 tsp. cumin, 1 tsp. salt, and a dash of pepper. Bring this to a boil, slowly add 1 cup of corn grits and whisk for about 6 minutes on medium high until thickened and creamy. I then whisk in 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter and 1/2 cup milk.||I serve about 1/2 cup of this in a bowl with chili,
- Best with chicken cacciatore
- I've been making chicken cacciatore over polenta for many years. I was out of polenta and yours was the only one in the store, so I bought it. I will never buy any other polenta. It took my dish to new heights and that's saying a lot!
- Best for shrimp and grits
- I won't use anything else to make my shrimp and grits- these are perfect when you cook them up with a little milk, bacon, and shallots, then fold in the cheese, before sauteeing your shrimp in sherry and bacon juice and topping it off.||These corn grits are the perfect and superior product and I drive farther to get them in order to have the perfect dish.
- Nutritional Info
Serving Size: 1
Servings Per Container: 19
Amount Per Serving % Daily
ValueCalories130Calories from Fat5
Total Fat0.5 g1 %Saturated Fat0 g0 %Trans Fat0 g0 %Cholesterol0 mg0 %Sodium0 mg0 %Total Carbohydrate27 g9 %Dietary Fiber2 g8 %Sugars0 gN/AProtein3 g6 %
Vitamin A0 %Vitamin C0 %Calcium0 %Iron8 %
* Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
*Manufactured in a facility that also uses soy, tree nuts, wheat, and milk