Build a Better Grain Bowl
STEP 1: Choose Your Grain
(Select one or a mix—½ cup total cooked)
STEP 2: Go Green
(Select one or a mix—1 cup total)
- Chard (chopped, fresh or sautéed)
- Kale (chopped, fresh or sautéed)
- Mixed spring greens
STEP 3: Pick a Protein
(3 oz. cooked meat or ½ cup plant-based protein)
- Chicken Breast
- Grilled shrimp
- Roasted salmon
- Eggs (Soft- or hard-boiled, poached)
- Black beans or garbanzo beans
- Tofu or tempeh
STEP 4: Pile on Some Produce
(Pick 3–4, ¼ cup each)
- Green beans
- Sweet potato
STEP 5: Finishing Touches
- Cheese (cheddar, feta, mozzarella, parmesan)
- Dressing/sauce (oil and vinegar, ranch, miso, hummus, pesto, peanut, teriyaki, salsa)
- Fresh herbs (basil, chives, cilantro, dill, mint, parsley, tarragon)
- Nuts (chopped walnuts, cashew halves, pine nuts, sliced almonds)
- Sauerkraut (or other fermented or pickled veggies like kimchi or ginger)
- Seeds (chia, flaxseeds, hemp, poppy, pumpkin, sesame, sunflower)
- Sprouts (alfalfa, bean, broccoli, radish, sunflower)
Our Favorite Grain Bowl Recipes
Enter your email below to get the Grain Bowl E-Book.
Breakfast Bulgur and Millet
Pesto and Farro
Roasted Rainbow Vegetable Buckwheat
Sesame Shrimp Millet and Quinoa
TexMex Quinoa and Bulgur
Get to Know Your Grains
Buckwheat Mild, grassy flavor that’s intensified by roasting or toasting. Gluten free. Cooks in 10 minutes.
Bulgur A nutty-flavored grain with a chewy texture, packed with fiber and protein. Cooks in 12 minutes.
Farro Hearty and chewy, with a rich, nutty flavor. Good source of iron! Cooks in 30 minutes.
Millet Cooks quickly with a mild, slightly sweet flavor. Gluten free. Cooks in 20 minutes.
Quinoa Fluffy texture, mild flavor. Gluten free. Provides iron and high-quality protein. Cooks in 12-20 minutes.
Sorghum Delicious popped! Gluten free, with a hearty texture and mild flavor. Cooks in 50-60 minutes.