Most common varieties of barley require mechanical and abrasive removal of the tenacious hull covering. This process also removes most of the bran layer and germ. Bob's Red Mill Whole Grain Barley is grown from an ancient variety that grows in a loose hull, called hull-less barley. It comes to you whole and complete with all its nutrition. Use in most recipes that call for pearl barley. Whole Hull-less Barley makes a wonderful addition to a healthy diet, and has a pleasant, chewy texture. The slightly nutty sweetness is simply delectable.
Barley is an excellent source of dietary fiber and keeps you fuller longer. Add whole hull-less barley to soups, stir fries and stews in place of rice for a tasty change. It can also be cooked up as a hot cereal, stirred into salads, or used in stuffings or casseroles. It's also wonderful as pilaf or risotto. Try our Vegetable Barley Risotto recipe on the back of the package. Or, try Hull-Less Barley in the quintessential Scottish dish, Scotch Broth. It’s a filling soup made with barley, lamb, and root vegetables. The options are bountiful!
- Related Products
Customer Reviews 8 item(s)
- Our family uses many of your products but have used another brand of barley for a long time.
Our family uses many of your products but have used another brand of barley for a long time.
We decided to try your hull-lless variety that cooks from 40-80 min in 3 1/2 cups of water.
After 40 min the barley was hard so I added some boiling water for the next 40 min. Then another 40 min plus another 15 min and it still tastes like there's a tiny stone in each piece.
I am going to try it in my pressure cooker and if it fails there, then I'll be done with it.
- The real stuff
- I love barley, ever since I ate it as a kid in my favorite soup, Scotch Broth. I have always loved soup, but just lately my once perfect BP is starting to slowly rise, so I am now restricting my salt. Not being able to find canned soup that is not laden with salt, I now make all my own soup. And my favorite is Beef Barley with a whole lot of hulled barley and just a little bit of beef. I add a
- Versatile, tasty, healthy
- Cooked in just water, there's a slight nutty sweetness to it, and would go well with milk as a breakfast cereal (I'm gonna try cooking it in almond milk--I bet that would be great) cooked in stock, it's nice and savory and accompanies meats well instead of higher glycemic stuff like potatoes or rice. The soluble fiber makes the pot juices thick without any additions. I have a little 1.5 qt slow c
- Awesome Product for managing Cholesterol
- I manage my cholesterol without prescription drugs and this product is a great addition to my program. I made my stuffed green peppers and used this barley instead of rice with great results. I also made chicken barley spinach soup and loved the slightly chewy texture. Great product.
- Great taste & even better texure
- I was cooking it like the package recommends, but found I had better control over the texture by cooking it like pasta, plenty of water or stock. I just keep testing it after 20 minutes of a good rolling simmer. I like how it has a mild pop like whole wheat berries, but much more tender. Have been mixing with brown rice and using as my starch. It really keeps me full for a longer time! Can't w
- High Quality Soluble Fiber!
- I cook a batch twice a week and keep it sealed in the fridge (cooked in organic veg stock, garlic and finely chopped onions). Then it's ready to throw into tuna & chicken salad and especially chili! (VERY economical! Use equal amounts of meat and barley) Top off a field greens salad. This is SO much better for you! SOLUBLE fiber is what you should be going for !
- a great side dish
- I just cook this up ahead of time and keep some in the fridge to heat up as an alternative to potatoes. All I add is a little salt. I love the texture and taste!
- Wonderful Product!
- I am a diabetic and the low glycemic value of this Barley makes for a great way to start my day. It's kind of funky, but I mix with several bean types and a bit of salsa in a big batch and then store in individual servings. This makes a perfect high fiber starter for the day that does not tax my system and powers me through the morning no problem.
- Nutritional Info
Serving Size: 1/4 cup(46g)
Servings Per Container: 16
Amount Per Serving % Daily
ValueCalories170Calories from Fat10
Total Fat1 g2 %Saturated Fat0 g0 %Trans Fat0 g0 %Cholesterol0 mg0 %Sodium5 mg0 %Total Carbohydrate34 g11 %Dietary Fiber8 g32 %Sugars0 gN/AProtein6 g12 %
Vitamin A0 %Vitamin C0 %Calcium2 %Iron10 %
* Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
whole grain barley
*Manufactured in a facility that also uses tree nuts soy, wheat, and milk