Homemade Wonderful Bread Mix can be made by hand or in your bread machine. The bread can also be made dairy free. This mix is especially designed for those sensitive to gluten, but enjoyed by everyone. This moist, flavorful bread is ideal for sandwiches, toast, bread crumbs, croutons, and other dishes that start with a basic loaf of bread. Contains garbanzo flour, potato starch, corn starch, sorghum flour, tapioca flour, evaporated cane juice, fava flour, xanthan gum, potato flour, sea salt, guar gum, soy lecithin, and a yeast packet. Makes one 1-1/2 lb. loaf.
NOTE: Bulk 25 lb bag does not include active dry yeast
- Related Products
Customer Reviews 65 item(s)
- Great taste and convenience, a true winner!
My sister and husband both require gluten free bread. This is the best mix we have tried. It is moist and very easy to make. I have made it both in my bread machine and by hand in my large stand mixer. This was actually faster than using my bread machine. Both work very well. The taste is excellent. My husband also can not have rice flour. We very much appreciate the fact that this mix that does not use rice flour. This mix will always be on my shelf. We love the taste and texture of the bread.
I just made my daughter a fresh loaf of this bread. It was amazing! I used unsweetened almond milk, flax seed meal for a substitution for eggs, vegetable oil and added honey for a touch of sweetness. I'll become a weekly baker and sneak a few slices along the way :)
- Great full size bread.
This is the best bread mix for my breadmaker I have found so far. I used olive oil instead of butter and it turned out excellent. Another trick I found was to cook it on the Gluten Free cycle of my bread maker despite the fact it says use the regular withe bread cycle. On the GF cycle it rose into a nice full loaf that isn't dry and toasts up very nice. This is definitely the bread I will buy from now on.
- Great for buns too
I used this mix to make sandwich buns and they turned out fantastic! No one would ever guess this is a gluten free product.
- Add xanthan gum
Best bread I have found, however, I add an extra egg white, and a 1/2 tsp of Xanthan gum. It is not so dry and freezes nicely.
- Good job folks.
best bread on the market. However, I add an extra egg and some Xanthan so it wont be so dry. I t freezes better with the extra
- The yeast is not good
It didn't rise properly, and the bread is very gritty because of the bean flour. Be cautious when buying this product and check for proper yeast proofing before adding to the mix. Maybe this was just a bad batch but I will definitely be looking for another Gluten Free bread mix to use.
- I would buy this bread mix again
- I followed the directions exactly on the package and it came out perfect! I did let it rise in the oven with the light on but I let it rise a little longer until it was about an inch over the 9 x 5 pan that I used. Then baked it for 10 minutes then covered it with foil. It baked for 65 minutes and took it out. Measured the temperature of the bread and it was at 200 degrees! It was done. I had to take a knife to loosen the edges from the pan and turned it out on the cooling rack. It did not collapse on me. I love the texture and flavor of this bread. I have tried other GF breads only to feed it to the birds! The taste and texture was horrible! It is now the only bread mix I will buy! Thank you for a great product!
- Superior to every prepared GF bread!
- After reading the comments and based on my own experience, I made the following slight changes: 1). good yeast is critical and since there was no date on the yeast provided, I replaced it with fresh in-date dry active yeast. 2). My mom always added honey to the milk before proofing the yeast, so I added 1 TBS honey to the warm milk (110 F). 3) I increased the fat to 5 Tbs butter. I used my oven (warmed and then waited until it came down to 85 F) to allow the bread to rise; covered with plastic wrap it rose well above the rim in 30 min. I brushed the top with melted butter and then baked it as directed at 375 F, covering with foil after 10 min, and baked for a total of 65 min. The loaf turned out easily, and did not deflate. Great sliced for sandwiches (not the usual "mealy" consistency I've found in prepackaged GF bread), as well as making wonderful toast!
- I will buy this product for the rest of
- Just wish it was available in more stores. Wonderful product. Thank you for making it so easy to make, and so delish. After visiting your site, my husband went grocery shopping and bought the product for me. I will continue to buy this for a very long time. I am a very happy person with my now favorite bread.
- Simply Amazing
My 5 yr old is newly gluten free. We tried a ready made $7 teeny tiny brick loaf and tossed it after one taste..just so bad. I decided I just had to make my own. I've made our family bread weekly for the last 8 yrs and I have to say..not only was this WAY easier with no kneading or double rise needed, it tasted just like regular bread. We are used to a denser chewy loaf because I always make at jome, so the texture was slightly airier than we're used to. The flavor is amazing. Not too happy with the fact it does deflate a bit. But that's the only con. I added a Tbs of honey to the warm milk to really wake up the yeast and then took someone's suggestion of doubling the oil (1/4 melted butter & 1/4 melted coconut oil) and it came out very moist. Followed rest of the directions as written. :)
- Great Bread!!!
- Made this bread in my Zojirushi bread maker. It came out wonderful. The bread machine ingredients list on my package did not list the 1 tsp. vinegar, but I added that because of the corrected version I read on-line. Also used unsweetened almond milk. I can't wait to make a sandwich from this loaf! For those that taste and pre-judge the product from the raw dough....please don't. Raw dough made from bean flour doesn't taste that great, but once it's baked the final product is awesome!
- Love this bread!
- I followed the directions on the package. Made in the bread machine and it comes out perfect. I buy it every week now for our bread. Thank you Bob's Redmill for the product! Denys
- I recieved this mix and a bread machine for Christmas. I used Coconut milk, and didn't use the ingredients at room temperature, so I figured the bread would not turn out well. To my surprise, the bread tasted WONDERFUL! It was the fluffiest, tastiest gf bread I have tried to date. I will definitely buy this mix again. The results were wonderful.
- DO NOT heat your milk up to 110 degrees
Whatever you do, DO NOT follow the directions on the package regarding the milk temperature. You will kill the yeast, and then your bread won't rise. Yeast likes liquid that is just barely lukewarm, in the 70-80 degree range, not 110 degrees like the package says.
What happened to me is I followed the directions, and my dough would not rise. I looked up tips online for saving dud dough, and was able to sort of make something else with it. My rolls came out more like dense biscuits, but were still very fluffy and soft.
I think next time I use this product I will have a better experience with it since I now know what temperature yeast likes.
As much as I like garbanzo bean products, I often get gassy from them. I hope that Bob's Red Mill will develop some bean-free flour blends and mixes.
- Easy to make bread
- I adjusted the instructions a bit on the package. It took actually an hour and 30 minutes for the dough to rise not 35 minutes and the baking time I reduced to 55 minutes and covered the top with foil the last 10 minutes of baking. The bread turned out perfect. The only criticism I have is that it contains soy lecithin. Latest medical reports on soy lecithin are not good.
- What did I do wrong?
- So I tried baking a loaf of the BRM's Wonderful Bread but it didn't turn out the way I expected it to or the way it looked in the video. After following directions and mixing by hand for 3 mins I let the dough sit for 35 mins, but it never raised like I thought it would. Undeterred I baked it for a whole hour, covering after 15 mins to reduce over-baking the top, but the loaf still did not rise as it should. The little bit that it did raise deflated not long after removing from the oven. I used milk to mix with the yeast, canola oil, and 1 whole egg and three more egg whites, 1 tsp ACV and whatever else it calls for, I can't remember off the top of my head. What did I do wrong? It turned out to be a very dense brick that was moist on the inside but very well done crust. Any suggestions/hints for future sucess? I still ate it and though it wasn't bad, but I know it can be better and look forward to perfecting it.
- Best Gluten-Free Bread
When I think of gluten-free bread, I think expensive "brick". Small, tough-on-the-outside, crumbly-and-dry-on-the-inside. Not so with Bob's Red Mill Bread Mix!
We loved Bob's gluten-free pancake mix so much (easily the BEST gluten-free pancake mix out there), that we had high expectations for this bread. We were NOT disappointed!
It's easy to mix and bake, it is soft and moist on the inside, and while the crust can get crispy if you don't cover it after about 20 minutes of baking, it's never tough or chewy. Most importantly, my son loves it, and that's a big deal for a little guy who's such a good sport about the diet he has to follow.
So far, Bob's Red Mill products have all been exceptional. I can't think of a single product we've tried that wasn't high quality, delicious, and better than any other gluten-free product out there. We can even make gluten-free Hootenanny Pancakes, thanks to Bob's Red Mill products.
Anyway, if you're looking for a better gluten-free experience (and for us, dairy-free, too), you can't go wrong with Bob's Red Mill.
By the way, I just came to this site to see if it's possible to purchase in bulk and saw that you can write reviews. Just couldn't pass-up the chance to rave about a product that deserves it!
- This is the best gluten free bread I've eaten. It looks and tastes like regular homemade bread. It's fantastic for sandwiches, is delicious toasted, and slices thinly without crumbling or breaking apart. I make it vegan with egg substitute, almond milk, and organic canola oil. I don't have a bread machine, so I toss the mix and the (room temp) liquid ingredients into my Kitchen Aid, beat on medium
- I've tried several different mixes for GF bread. This by far was the easiest and the best. Wonderful wonderful GF bread.I followed the directions exactly on the package and the end result was a delicious great-textured bread for my son and I who are on a GF diet. Even my husband thought it was terrific. A great big thank you for this product. I've avoided wheat bread for quite some time now and have missed its homemade goodness. This is great for sandwiches, toast, hamburger buns, etc. KUDOS!
- This bread is amazing. Soft texture, good flavour and it rose well, unlike most gluten free bread mixes that are so short. Will always use this
- Best GF Bread Ever
- I am a big bread fan and have been baking the stuff for years. When I went GF I struggled to find a palatable bread because I just couldn't give it up. This is by far and away the best mix out there - better than making from scratch. Plus it's really easy and the results are always consistent. Love it!!
- Question and comment
Question re Calories: Per recipe for bread, 1 slice of bread (1/16th package) = 100 cal. Per recipe for Rolls, 1 roll (1/24th package) = 100 cal. Ingredients are the same for both. ??
I love the bread, it is tender & delicious, better than I have found in the GF bakeries in the Bay Area and in the stores too. My only quibble is the dough is so sticky and hard to handle. I don't have a bread machine or a stand mixer unfortunately. Making the rolls was a real challenge because of the sticky handling. Must say they look & taste great. I baked half the Rolls recipe on a baking sheet and tried using a muffin tin for the remaining dough. Muffin tin works well but I will "stick" with baking bread in a loaf pan instead of making rolls again. Thanx!
- I use 4 whole eggs rather than 1 whole +
I bake one loaf every week or so for my husband and sometimes for my skeptical sister both of whom are on very low gluten diets and who both love this bread now.
In another life I baked all kinds of bread from scratch. I don't like working with GF flours for baking so the bread machine is my weapon of choice.
My major change is to use 4 whole eggs rather than 1 egg and the balance egg white. My husband ohas PD and often sleeps too much, missing meals which are prepared when he is awake.
I have a simple Breadman which I set at regular setting which is 3hrs 18 min. I scrape the sides and bottom fully after the first mix process. Yes, I should remove it then but I don't.
When the entire cycle for a 2 lb loaf with a dark crust setting is complete, I baste the top with whatever herbs I select mixed in milk, olive oil or butter and then restart the machine. Since it only allows 1 hour minimum, I hang nearby to stop it after an additional 30 minutes.
If you let it remain in the machine for a few minutes, it won't fall but it really doesn't matter. I take it out immediately to pry out the paddle. Sometimes it will fall out but mostly not. I have uses for those center maimed sections.
This is the only GF bread my husband will eat and that I would consider serving him.
It makes excellent toast but will have a sandwich bread feel if nuked for 15-20 seconds.
Because it is so good, my toast loving husband doesn't care if I toast it or not.
Bravo Bob's Red Mill.
I can find it locally at a few stores which makes it much more economical to use regularly.
- My Favorite GF bread
- I've been using this bread for a while, and it's my favorite out of all the prepackaged breads available. I can't eat eggs or dairy so I substitute with egg replacer and So Delicious coconut milk, pop it in my bread machine and it comes out really good everytime. I know I can always count on Bob's products.
- TRULY AMAZING!!
- I baked the bread as directed on pkg "baking by Hand" ...to date have made 4 loaves this way...each loaf turned out PERFECT!!! I am going to try making hamburger and hot dog buns with this mix today...it is the best mix ever..beats Udi's bread by a mile..I can't say enough good things about this bread mix!
- Sweet wonderful success!!
- Hamburger Bun Success!!! OMG this amazing mix just made the most beautiful, tasty, substantial hamburger buns you could ever want...even did 2 hotdog buns and delicious success!! Yay!!! Thank you sooooooo much for this wonderful mix!!!
- Handy bread for vacations & visits
- I'm on a gluten & wheat free diet. For many years I counted on Bob's Red Mill packaged breads, pizza dough etc. Although I still use the package products for vacations and visiting, I now love experimenting with the recipes in my Gluten Free cookbook.||I thank Bob's Red Mill products for my baking needs. I have found all the flours to be of high quality that deliver great results.
- OMG, yea!!!!!!!!
- We just found out all 4 of my kids are allergic to gluten. It's been a MISERABLE 4 weeks trying to find a g.f. bread they'll eat. We tried this one and it was delicious! Everyone loves it. We're absolutely ecstatic!!!
- My granddaughter loves this bread.
- My granddaughter has many food allergies. She can eat this bread and loves it. She loves to come home when I have just baked it and smell the wonderful aroma.
- Wonderful !
- I made the recipe using the oven method. It was easy to prepare. I baked it as per the instructions, and it rose wonderfully and stayed there! No falling! I have a 6 year old daughter whos is very picky and we have thrown out many a loaf of bread because it tasted "funny". She came back to seconds and thirds of this one. I can't seem to find the mix where I live, but have several people on
- The best Gluten Free Bread I have had
- I made this bread in a bread maker. It was the best gluten free bread that I have had since becoming gluten free. Light, not heavy like most of the gluten free breads.
- Light, fluffy, good flavor
- This product is easy to make and bake. It rises incredibly high and then deflates (hand-made method). I can't figure out how to stop it from doing that. But once it's cooled, it slices well and tastes fine. I have been hand-making bread for years, so the deflation doesn't bother me. The flavor and texture are consistent with every package and even the kids love it.||I use 1 cup rice milk and 2/3 c
- Absolutely Amazing
- I have recently purchased a bread machine for my beloved wife, who is celiac. I saw the All Purpose flour at Vons and I bought it. I went back to the store to find all the other ingredients needed to make bread (Xhantam Gum, etc.) then I found this mix, which already contains all the different type of flour that you need.||I followed the recipe on the package and WOW!!!!!!! The bread is astounding
- So this is the most amazing bread. No one can tell that it is gluten free. My only problem is that when I made it by hand and put it in the oven(and let it rise only to the top of the loaf pan, during baking, it actually rose so high it almost touched the top of the oven then when it was cooling it deflated. Still, it was bigger than most loafs...I just have NO idea what happened!
- So easy and so good!
- This gluten free bread mix is great because you don't have to have multiple flours in your pantry if you don't want to deal with that...like me. It slices great to use for sandwich bread. Not crumbly at all. I slice it and wrap the slices individually and keep them in the freezer. Smells wonderful while it bakes too.
- Better than store-bought.
- I use for toast and sandwiches. It's easy to make but even baking for 3:10 hours, the top is lumpy and it deflates and is soggy. I started adding a small amount of honey to offset the bitter taste and I need to use almond milk, which works fine. I will try adding extra yeast and/or less egg whites (can't use yogurt) to see if it is less soggy. It has a nice texture overall. It's still the best
- Best gluten free bred ever
- Wow, I just made it and I wasn't expecting much because every gluten free bread I've ever had tasted like cardboard. This was amazing. I can't decide if it needs to be sweeter or saltier but I intend to experiment and get it absolutely perfect. The consistency is amazingly soft and fluffy. I can soak up my eggs once again!
- Great Product
- I love this mix. I made rolls using the "by hand" method and they turned out great. My husband's family didn't even know that they were gluten free. They were surprised to see me eating one!! I think they are a little low on salt but being from a high blood pressure family - people can add their own with some butter.
- Best Gluten Free Bread Ever
- This bread is sooo good. Gluten free bread is always so heavy and always has to be toasted. I make this bread with my bread maker and have delicious white bread. What a great find!
- Better than wheat bread!
- This is the BEST bread EVER! I've bought the mass made bread at the store--paying anywhere from $7-$12 for what's more like a HALF a loaf--and it just can't compare. I've made this bread several times, but just made some last night with coconut milk (one can is exactly the 1 2/3 cup of milk called for) and the loaf is the best I've ever had, PERIOD.
- A friend with Celiac's asked me to come up with a bread that she could eat that tasted good and had a good texture. After surfing the web, I walked into a health food store with a recipe that required five different flours and xanthan gum. The owner pointed out the products, then showed me a single loaf package of your bread mix. What could be easier?||I made the loaf in my bread machine. Just
- Use Biscuit mix if you have egg allergy
- This bread mix didn't do well with egg substitutes, and as we have a child with multiple food allergies, we found that using the Bob's Baking Mix and following the directions for the bread mix (with the egg substitute) worked wonderful. No more sunken loaves!
- Best GF Bread I have made
- After trying out several GF bread recipes I decided to give this one a go. When the yeast packet in the milk didn't make it foam I added 2 extra tsp of yeast. When I baked it in the oven (I did the "by hand" version) it came out beautifully!
- My Gluten Free Dream Comes True
- Having recently become gluten free, I have been searching for a bread appropriate for sandwiches. Homemade Wonderful Bread Mix is right on the money. It is the best gluten free bread I have tasted. I found you just in time to enjoy a fabulous sandwich with tomatoes from our garden. Thank you!
- How sweet it is!!!!!!
- My spouce got the celiac desease a few months ago and tryed to find a bread that would look and taste as a normal bread. [...].UNBELEIVABLE, 90% REAL, TASTE, MOUSTURE, the only thing that we changed was to cook it in the stove at 350 dg for 70 minutes, just to make sure that the center was well cooked. Thank you Red mill.
- truly wonderful!
- it turns out perfectly every time in my bread machine! I love having fresh bread available all the time without having to drive out to the specialty bakeries.
- Gluten Free?
Absolutely delicious! My sister recently diagonosed w/gluten sensitivity. Tried this mix. It was EXCELLENT! Made 4 small loaves for GF friends. They loved it! Highly recommend this product, especially if new to GF cooking and don't like a lot of what's in the stores. Easy to make - 10 minutes max for prep, then just bake.
LOVED IT! As a former caterer/personal chef, I would recommend this t
- good basic mix
- I like this bread but it was a little too eggy and soft and it would rise up but deflate when cooled, worse if any egg sub was used. I have been adding 2 eggs plus a couple Tblsp of greek yogurt instead of the 3/4 cup thing. I then added 1/4 cup flax seed meal. It came out great, did not deflate and was more sturdy.
- My kid loves it!!
- My 4 year old daughter was diagnosed with Celiac in January of 2010 and it's been a struggle getting her to eat. She was already picky before the diagnosis. When we tried this bread, she started eating grilled cheese sandwiches, ham and cheese sandwiches, toast, pb&j sandwiches ...she loves this bread!
- this is THE only bread mix i have found that i actually enjoy making and eating!!! the egg whites do the trick by giving a glorious "lift" to this bread and its great 3 days later and with mix-ins. it also makes great grilled cheese, french toast , bread crumbs, and bread pudding!!
- Gluten Free Homemade Wonderful Bread
- I tried this product and found it to be a great gluten free bread but wanted to add my own touches. I add ground oats & honey or Agave for a more hearty texture or molasses and buttter in some cornmeal soaked in boiling water and cooled to thicken before adding it to bread. I bake this in my bread machine and when it is cooled, I slice it and put it in the freezer to have in sandwiches or toast.
- This was GREAT!!
I was overjoyed at how great this bread came out of the bread machine. Usually I need to scrap down the sides, didn't need to. And, the bread is usually flat, lumpy, & uneven. This loaf was really a pleasent surprise! Looked good, smelled great, and so high, like real wheat bread.
- DELICIOUS AND VERY EASY TO MAKE
- Finding a recipe that didn't have too many eggs was hard until I discovered this bread mix. Although it doesn't have a "bread" consistency, the final product was really, really good and so simple to make. I added melted butter and sesame seeds the last few minutes of baking.
- Best GF bread ever!
I've been on a GF diet since being diagnosed with a gluten allergy in 1987 and this is the best GF bread I've had in all those years. It has everything that all the other breads I've tried (off the shelf or bake yourself) haven't had - flavour, texture, body and aroma. It makes great toast as well as sandwiches.
Keep up the good work!
- This bread is very moist ...
- This bread is very moist and has fabulous texture. It rose beautifully and looks like "real" bread. Very easy to make, too. My only wish is to find bread like this without the slight bean flavor that garbanzo flour leaves.
- I had trouble making it ...
- I had trouble making it using an egg substitute. It didn't rise well. I too felt that the garbanzo flavor was too strong.
- This was the first bread ...
- This was the first bread I made in my new machine, and it's true to its name it really is wonderful. I was afraid GF meant I'd have to sacrifice texture or taste, but I love this bread! Thanks Bob's Red Mill!
- I've tried a lot of G.F. ...
- I've tried a lot of G.F. bread and other mixes. Bob's bread mix is by far the best taste and texture. Love it. Am ordering more.
- Really like this ...
- Really like this mix--very easy! Made this dairy-free by hand using diluted (a little less than 50/50) full fat coconut milk instead of the milk, coconut oil, and eggs. Didn't have a coconut flavor at all! Bread rose beautifully and has nice soft texture inside and a crisp outer edge. Does have a slight beany flavor, especially the 2nd day, but we think it is more 'nutty' than anything, and it's v
- Get texture ,love to use ...
- Get texture ,love to use when running low on time and ingredients . Wish the bean flavor was a little less . Makes wonderful Cinnamon Rolls !
- spend the winter in ...
- spend the winter in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico and I brought with me, what I thought would be, a 4 month supply of Wonderful Bread Mix. Well it is so good and I ran out. But to my surprise today, I found your product in the Puerto Vallarta Wall Mart. They just put in on the shelf today and I bought every bag they had. You have made my day much sunnier...Thank you!!!!
- I make a loafe of the ...
- I make a loafe of the "Homemade Wonderful GF Bread Mix" 3 or 4 times a month for a friend who must have GF. The first time I made the mix, about 1 1/2 yrs ago, it was wonderful. The consistancy of the batter was very much like cake batter. I mixed it with a hand mixer and was able to pour it into the baking pan. Since then, when I make the "mix" the mixture is like thick''gloop". I cant use a hand
- After trying many ...
- After trying many different Glutten Free breads, my husband thought he would never truly taste "real" bread again. Until we tried this mix, love the taste, texture and how moist it is. It also makes fantastic bread crumbs. I would have no problem switching my whole family to this bread!!!
- I tried this mix after ...
- I tried this mix after try two other brands and this is by far the best mix with easy, clear instructions. The bread was wonderful.
- Nutritional Info
Serving Size: 1 slice(28g)
Servings Per Container: 16
Amount Per Serving % Daily
ValueCalories100Calories from Fat5
Total Fat0.5 g1 %Saturated Fat0 g0 %Trans Fat0 g0 %Cholesterol0 mg0 %Sodium180 mg8 %Total Carbohydrate22 g7 %Dietary Fiber3 g12 %Sugars2 gN/AProtein2 g4 %
Vitamin A0 %Vitamin C0 %Calcium2 %Iron4 %
* Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
stone ground garbanzo bean flour, potato starch, corn starch, sweet white sorghum flour, tapioca flour, evaporated cane juice, fava bean flour, xanthan gum, active dry yeast, potato flour, sea salt (magnesium carbonate as flowing agent), guar gum, soy lecithin
*Manufactured in a facility that also uses tree nuts and soy