Healthy Living on February 27, 2013 by

Our Policy Regarding GMOs

Bobfield

Please read our updated policy here.

***

With all of the attention swirling around genetically modified organisms (GMOs), we’ve been getting a heap of questions about our products and GMOs. Rest assured, at Bob’s Red Mill, we are committed to providing identity preserved products exclusively.

“Identity preserved” means that the seeds that were planted to grow our crops came from a non-GMO source. We work constantly with our farmers and suppliers to ensure that the ingredients we procure are non-GMO. In fact, each of our corn, rice, soy, and flax suppliers is required to sign a statement which affirms that their ingredients come from non-GMO sources.

Planting identity preserved seed is just the first step in ensuring that products are non-GMO. That is why we have recently procured state-of-the-art testing equipment that allows us to begin our own in-house testing of our products. Our goal is to implement a testing protocol that is acute and prolific.

We hope you share our enthusiasm for keeping natural foods natural. If you have any questions, please leave them in the comments section.

To Your Good Health,

Bob's signature

*UPDATE: June 3, 2013

As purveyors of all-natural wheat, the articles published recently reporting the isolated discovery of GMO wheat in Oregon is an important issue for Bob’s Red Mill and we are taking it very seriously. Bob’s Red Mill maintains, as it has for over a decade, a strict policy which mandates that each and every one of our grain suppliers provide us with grain that was grown exclusively from non-GMO seed. To support our policy, Bob’s Red Mill requires that each of our suppliers sign an agreement committing to comply with that policy.

In light of the report that GMO wheat was detected in Oregon, from where Bob’s Red Mill purchases only a relatively small amount of wheat, the company has begun the process of immediately contacting each of its Oregon wheat suppliers for confirmation that they only supply identity-preserved, non-GMO wheat.

Comments

Kirstin says:

Thank you for caring! Love your products more and more.

Barbara says:

Just another reason to love your products. Thank you for remaining true!

Teresa says:

I was not buying some of your products because they contained corn and soy, but were not labeled as organic or non-GMO. It would be good for you to support the non-GMO labeling on your products. Thank you for clarifying. And thank you for making sure that my family can safely eat your food.

Denise Lyn says:

I, too, have not purchased your products because they are not labeled in a way that would help me make the choice to invest. Why do you not label your products non-GMO? If you are so committed to the natural movement, why not help consumers by labeling your products for what they are?

Denise,

Thank you for your comments. We hope to label our products as non-GMO soon.

JoAnn says:

Now that I know your products are non GMO, I will certainly purchase a lot more in the future. Labeling as such would be welcome as more consumers are demanding non GMO now. Thanks for your commitment to providing us with high quality foods!

Theresa says:

Please give a flat out answer. Why are you choosing not to label your food as non-GMO. It’s not that difficult of a process. You should be supporting the non-GMO food product. I say its all about the money for you all and you don’t really care about your customers obviously. This is the biggest issue facing our country, and once we ruin our agriculture and exports with GMO it will be the fall of America.

Theresa,

We are so sorry that you feel this way. We are currently working to label our products as non-GMO. I do not know when it will go into effect, but it’s definitely in the works. We do care about our customers a lot and have heard the cry for non-GMO labeling. My guess is that you’ll start seeing this on our packages in the next year or so.

Brenda says:

Hope this is true and that you continue to follow this practice!

Deborah says:

Thank you for posting this information. We don’t consume corn unless it is labeled organic or non-GMO so we will gladly add Bobs Red Mill products back into our diet!

Gail says:

Glad to read this. Was in the store just yesterday, looking for rice flour and I usually buy yours, but since it didn’t have the ‘certified organic’ on it, I, as perhaps a less than informed consumer as far as using of the phrase ‘identity preserved’, I bought another brand. I hope you continue with your goal of being non-gmo, and I will continue to buy your products!

Janet Wehlitz says:

Thank you for caring and ensuring you use non-GMO as much as possible. People who care about people and the environment is vital.

Joy says:

I’d appreciate non GMO labeling on your products and am looking forward to all your products having zipper bags.
I have 19 of your products in my freezer and fridge and I’m often telling others to try your products. I’ve never found one of your products I didn’t LOVE!!!

Rebecca says:

Thank you! I appreciate your commitment to the health of your customers and of our planet.

Amber M. says:

THANK YOU!!! I am so happy to support your company! 😀

Teri says:

I appreciate that you posted your stand on gmos.

Jay says:

It is well-known that supplier affidavits are notoriously unreliable. Some suppliers have been known to not be truthful and others believe their material is non-GM but it may have been contaminated from any number of sources. Also, in-house testing, if it is using strip tests, is also very weak and subject to operator error at a very high rate. PCR testing is the only truly reliable technology for accurate quantification of the presence of GM. It is for all these reasons that there is a Non-GMO Project. Their standard is incredibly rigorous, but practical. Their seal really gives consumers assurance of non-GM. Is there any reason that you are not putting your products through the Non-GMO Project? My understanding is that the costs are very modest.

Jay,

Thank you for your feedback. We are using state-of-the-art equipment for our testing (please see this post to understand how serious we take our quality processes: http://www.bobsredmill.com/blog/featured-articles/our-quality-process-explained/). This testing is to ensure that the grain we receive is indeed non-GMO. I do not know why we are not participating in the Non-GMO Project yet, but I imagine it might be something that we will do in the future.

Teresa says:

I have a question for you. I read the blog this morning about your asking for and keeping on record written letters from your suppliers guaranteeing that the foods you sell do not contain genetically modified organisms. However, you sell both an organic corn flour and another that is not organic. Given that corn is one of the main GM crops and now includes sweet corn for human consumption, why would you sell corn that is not organic? And if it’s not third part certified, how do you know for sure that it’s not genetically modified?

Teresa,

Regarding the organic versus non-organic corn, we simply offer both. It is not meant to be a political statement, we just offer both for people to choose from. Organic corn is more expensive, so we like to give people the option of a non-organic variety. As we mention above, we are beginning to test our product in-house to ensure that they are non-GMO. The testing is the same testing that the third party organizations would do for us. We are looking at our products with a discriminating eye and have not yet opted for third party certification. If you are familiar with our gluten free process, you’ll know that we take our quality very seriously.

Norma Fink says:

Doesn’t Monsanto control nearly all corn seed which is GM?

Teresa says:

Thank you, Cassidy, for your quick response both here and on Facebook. That alone says a lot about your company. However, given how passionate I am about purchasing only non GM crops and supporting only healthy products with my dollar, I won’t buy any products that ‘could’ be contaminated. I’m happy to have found your organic corn flour and will continue to purchase that.

Jay says:

Cassidy, thanks for the explanation of your GMO testing. That is indeed impressive that you have set up your own lab for that purpose. As I know a little bit about this area, are you doing PCR testing and are you testing for all known corn events that may be sources of contamination? Also, what is your threshold for rejecting a shipment? It sounds like you guys really have your act together!

Hi Jay!

Thanks for the really good questions. I’ll try to get answers to them for you. More info to come!

Jay,

By our QA Department, I am told we are using “PCR qualitative testing where we are screening for the 35S promoter, NOS terminator, 34S FMV promoter, BAR-gene and CP4 epsps gene.” At this point, we are in an information gathering mode to see where our products stand against what we think they should be. I do not know what the threshold will be for rejecting a shipment yet. I hope that we will have a policy in place soon. Thank you for your awesome questions- I learned a lot today!

Lana says:

I think you probably should not use the word “natural” in your blogs or answers. It means nothing and is a word that many companies use to make buyers believe they are sincere about caring about people consuming their products and their heath. Natural means nothing when it comes to healthy food.

Melissa Crocker says:

I buy organic as much as is possible and NO GMO. As soon as your products are labeled “no gmo” I will buy them again. I don’t understand why they aren’t labeled unless there’s a concern that some may not be? It’s time for the public to get serious and buy only labeled “no gmo”. I have in the past enjoyed your products and hope to again.

Michele says:

I appreciate your in-house testing for GMOs but unless it is either supervised by an outside party or verified by an outside organization I for one will be reluctant to trust the results. We live in an age where most of us don’t trust anyone making a profit. That said, I believe you should use a third party for verifying and then labeling your products non-GMO. Until them I buy only organic or Non-GMO Verified products.

Marta S. says:

Thank you Bob! I love your products-have a wheat allergy, and am glad you do not use GMO products in your foods! Thank you!

Margie says:

Thank you for choosing to be non-GMO and for labeling your products clearly. I have pretty much stopped buying prepackaged foods from the grocery store because companies refuse to clearly label what is inside. I’m determined to learn how to make my own bread and use as many of your products as I can.

Jennifer Holovack says:

Beautiful!!

Joe Jacovino says:

So glad to see that Bob’s is against the use of the “dreaded” gmo’s, and we don’t need any law passed people to get the message across to Monsanto ( Monsatan) , all we have to do is write to the companies that are for gmo’s and tell them we are not going to buy their product. Do it, and tell all your friends to do it, and tell them to tell their friends. We need to be freed, freed from this scourge, this scourge and this blight upon our land, the blight pushed forth by Ugly M, Dow, Syngenta and the other biotech companies that are playing Russian Roulette with our food supply, to satisfy who knows what shortsighted and ego and dirty money driven desires that must fuel the minds of these “throw their mama under the bus” corporate drones

Michael Druhm says:

It’s a shame that most Americans are too stupid to avoid being duped by the criminal corporate slime like Monsanto. As long as there are companies like yours we may still actually have a chance at surviving this absurd GMO plague and get GMO’s first labelled and then BANNED as soon as possible. Not an easy chore considering our useless bought off, unethical congress and Supreme Court , neither of which will ever protect us from these poisons as long as they can line their pockets with a few extra dollars ! Down with congress, down with the Supreme Court…….. Bob for president in 2016 🙂

Gail Gardner says:

I have almost purchased your products more times than I can count and currently have some in my Swanson’s Vitamins favorites, but am still on the fence regarding your brand because of the red flags I run into when reading your packaging or site.

According to those who believe Canola Oil is safe, 93% of it is GMO – so why you would recommend Canola Oil on your packaging makes me question your position on GMO.

Most brands I eventually decide are trustworthy or not to be trusted. Yours is the only brand I have been unable to decide about for literally a decade or longer. We need a company that offers what you sell that we can trust without reservation. I’m just uncertain whether you want to be the company – or not.

Carol S. says:

I agree with several other comments that a NonGMO certification would make me feel much more secure about this. I understand it’s a long process but having farmer’s simply sign-off that their seeds are GMO free just isn’t very confidence building for me.

Thanks for being conscientious but when Monsanto and other big companies are acquiring seed companies right and left and claiming the patent rights, one has to wonder what’s coming down the road next. (These are the same companies that produce the pharmaceuticals that treat the diseases that are on the increase.)

Bernie says:

What about rBST in your Whey Protein, and are the cows/goats fed organic feed?

Bernie,

Please contact our customer service team to find out about rBST and BGH in our whey protein: 800-349-2173. Our whey protein is not organic.

Michael Gallagher says:

I have been a log time patron of your organic products and I am pleased to see that RedMill procures “Identity preserved” ingredients which “means that the seeds that were planted to grow our crops came from a non-GMO source.”
Question:
What then is the difference between RedMill’s ORGANIC label and RedMill’s products that are not labeled Organic?
Is it that those non-GMO seeds and subsequent plants can still nonetheless be sprayed with pesticides or any chemicals falling under the category of pesticides?

Michael

Michael,

Yes, that is the difference. Non-organic products can be grown using conventional farming practices.

Thank you for beginning the non-gmo testing and labeling. Are the 30+ bags I have in-house likely to be GMO, or non-gmo? They have all been purchased in the last few months, but are not labeled one way or the other. They all say gluten-free (thank you!!!) and are all labelled organic (thank you again!!!) The reason I keep so much on hand is I live about an hour from the nearest health-food store. We do have a little grocery which has recently begun carrying some of your gf line 🙂 Thank you for your commitment to quality; I am looking forward to your non-gmo labelling in the near future! A (mostly) satisfied customer

Berell,

Our commitment to purchasing non-GMO grains is not new. We have been doing this for years, so the products you have in your home are non-GMO.

Thank you for such a prompt reply! I appreciate your commitment to quality products and service. I have long been a Bob’s Red Mill customer, and will continue to be. My mom now buys your products as well, and is beginning a gluten free lifestyle. Have a great day!

Carol Nichols says:

Combining business with a heart – what a concept! Thank you for caring enough to make it happen…………. Carol

Tom Orlando says:

I am so glad to hear you are non-GMO. Your products and variety are the best that I can find, and my cabinet is full of Bob’s stuff. Now I can cook and bake without being afraid there’s “evil” in the ingredients.

Kirsten says:

I also have stopped buying your products since they didn’t mention non-GMO. Please certify this in your labeling. Thank you!

Barb says:

I have to agree with several other commenters above that, until I find the Non GMO certified logo on your products, I will suspend purchasing. PLEASE give us the assurance we have come to trust and believe in regarding this certification. Thank you.

Katie says:

Thank you! This popped up in a google search while deciding whether to buy Bob’s Red Mill flour and other products. Our household is (attempting) to be GMO free, so we will definitely be purchasing more of your products! Please keep up the good work!

Scott in Ohio says:

Nothing in your statement about non-GMO WHEAT.
Did I miss it?

Scott,

This post is older than the controversy around the GMO wheat that has recently come up. As purveyors of all-natural wheat, the articles published recently reporting the isolated discovery of GMO wheat in Oregon is an important issue for Bob’s Red Mill and we are taking it very seriously. Bob’s Red Mill maintains, as it has for over a decade, a strict policy which mandates that each and every one of our grain suppliers provide us with grain that was grown exclusively from Non-GMO seed. To support our policy, Bob’s Red Mill requires that each of our suppliers sign an agreement committing to comply with that policy.

For more info, please contact our customer service team at 800-349-2173.

Kim says:

I have used Bob’s Red Mill products but am also concerned about why the products are not labeled “non-GMO”. There are countless cases of manufacturers hiding important health information about their products, so many of us have come to the conclusion that manufacturers are guilty of using dubious ingredients until proven otherwise. This is so unfortunate. I do think Bob’s Red Mill must get certified via the “Non-GMO Project” in order to maintain the consumers’ trust. I hope they will do that and consider also switching to only organic ingredients. Thank you for taking this into consideration.

Robyn says:

I understand you make suppliers sign a statement, but with the under-handedness that is Monsanto and any one employed by them, is a signed piece of paper really enough? Do you do testing to ensure? How can you/we know for 100%?

Carly says:

I have been staying away from some of your products (especially those involving corn and soy) because they are not labeled as free of GMO’s. Now that I know they are non-GMO, I will be increasing my purchases, but it would be helpful to consumers if you included a certified logo on your packages. Still, I’m glad to have finally found non-GMO masa harina!

nancy graham says:

thanks Bob’s. that’s great to know. I’ll be purchasing more of your products now 🙂

Terri Cabreros says:

In your February 27, 2013 response to Teresa, you stated, “Regarding the organic versus non-organic corn, we simply offer both. It is not meant to be a political statement, we just offer both for people to choose from. Organic corn is more expensive, so we like to give people the option of a non-organic variety.”

So just to confirm, all your “non-organic” products would be conventional (coming from farming practices using pesticides and insecticides right?
i.e. Bob’s Red Mill Whole Grain and Bean Soup Mix or all your soup mixes

AmandaCarter says:

Yes, any products not certified organic could be grown using conventional farming practices.

sheila crowe says:

Thank you. Greatly appreciated!! 🙂

Douglas Hahn says:

I really, really wanted to buy your masa harina today at the local health food store. Since the label fails to say ‘GMO free’ I decided not to purchase. I hope you put more resources into getting your non GMO status finalized since I believe that is the most important issue facing the United States today.

I vote with my wallet, I vote non GM every time.

Debbie Osgood says:

I wish you cared about all the product you put out there, not just the organic stuff, but all of it. That would be nice!

Lara says:

Do all your products, whether organic or not, go through the GMO testing? In other words, are you seeking to provide all GMO free products?
Thanks

Hi Lara,

At this time, we are still getting our feet wet in regards to the testing for the presence of GMOs. We are currently looking into joining the Non GMO Project, but at this point in time, the above statement is our policy. If you have more questions, please call our awesome customer service team at 800-349-2173.

Serena Miller says:

Are you other products No-GMO as well? You only mentioned four. I am looking for a company that sells no-GMO organic spelt, so I was hoping you could tell me if that is safe as well. Thanks!

Yes, all of our products are non-GMO, however the four items mentioned are the only crops that are available in the market as genetically modified crops. Spelt is not being sold commercially as GMO. We do have commitments from all of our suppliers that each product we purchase is non-GMO.

Alex says:

You mentioned your GMO policies on corn, rice, soy and flax, but what about the GMO policies for your chia seeds?

Alex,

We only purchase non-GMO ingredients. For more information, please call us at 800-349-2173.

Christine says:

I am really hoping you will label your products as non-gmo. I recently had them in my grocery cart and then put them back because they were not labeled as such. Having them independently verified as non-gmo by a third party would give people the most confidence.

Christine,

Thank you for your feedback. We will pass this along to the appropriate people. I anticipate that you will see our products labeled as non-GMO in the near future. I cannot say exactly when, but it’s coming.

Marika says:

Thank you for posting this information and for providing us all with non-gmo products to purchase. I too did not buy some of your products previously because it did not indicate that it was non-gmo – so glad the labeling will be changing!

Thank you again.