Looking for a new twist on apple pie this holiday season? Behold, these Apple Cheddar Hand Pies. Don’t get me wrong, I fully stand behind the classic apple pie, but sometimes it’s fun to step outside the comfort zone and try something new. These Apple Cheddar Hand Pies stick with the classic filling--apples, cinnamon, brown sugar--but in the pie crust we add cheddar cheese! Yes, you heard me right.
Apple and cheddar may seem like an odd couple, but the sharp salty bite in the flaky crust perfectly complements the sweet apple filling inside these hand pies. There is no stringy melty cheese filling here, just finely grated speckles of cheese in the buttery crust. Instead of baking one big pie, these hand pies are portable and single serving (but if you eat more than one, I won’t tell!)
Apple Cheddar Hand Pies
- 2 1/2 cups Organic All Purpose Flour
- 3 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 1/4 cups Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese (I used a Sharp White Cheddar here and grated it myself)
- 2/3 cup Butter (chilled and cut into tablespoons)
- 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 cup Ice Water
- 1 lb Apples, peeled and chopped to 1/4-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup packed Brown Sugar,
- 1/2 Tbsp Lemon Zest
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Cinnamon (or 1 tsp Pumpkin Spice Mix)
- 1 Tbsp Tapioca Starch
- 1 Egg + 1 Tbsp Water
- Sparkling Sugar (optional)
- Ring mold (or thin walled cup, wine glass, etc)
- If no mold then cut pie dough into 2 1/2-inch squares
- Rolling pin
- Food processor
- In the work bowl of the food processor pulse together flour, sugar, and salt. Add butter and cheese and pulse until butter pieces are the size of peas. Add in 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and 1/2 cup ice water and pulse 1-2 times to mix. If pie dough seems too dry, add 1-2 tablespoons of ice water. Do not overmix.
- Divide dough in two, flatten into round disks and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- While dough is resting, peel, core and chop apples into 1/4-inch cubes.
- Mix apples, brown sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, cinnamon and tapioca starch to combine. Cover and let rest in refrigerator for remainder of hour or until ready to assemble.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface roll out 1 disk of dough into about a 12-inch round. Using ring mold, cut out 18 rounds, rerolling dough once if necessary.
- Repeat with second disk of dough.
- Place 1 tablespoon apple filling on half of the rounds and top with the remaining rounds, crimping edges with the tines of a fork. Cut small slit or x on each to allow for steam.
- Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar. Repeat until all dough and filling has been used.
- Bake for 23-25 minutes or until golden brown.
Yields 18 hand pies