DetailsTriticale (trit-ih-KAY-lee) is a very special hybrid grain resulting from a cross between wheat (Triticum) and rye (Secale). Plant breeders wanted to combine the grain quality, productivity and disease resistance of wheat with rye's vigor and hardiness. The chances of these two plants meeting on their own in nature would never happen due to different growing conditions, but were brought together by human intervention to create this nutritionally desirable crop. Our triticale flour is 100% stone ground on cool and slow turning, century-old stone-buhr millstone. Triticale has a flavor that is a bit deeper than wheat's with a subtle hint of rye's grassiness. This hearty, whole grain flour is great for all your baking recipes. Triticale is packed with dietary fiber and potassium and is low in sodium. It is higher in protein and fiber than both wheat and rye on their own, making it excellent for bread baking. Triticale is also a good source of magnesium and folate. Triticale Flour can be used to make yeast breads without the addition of wheat. To use 100% triticale flour in your favorite bread recipe, mix your ingredients, knead 3-5 minutes (about half the time as with wheat), shape it, let it rise once until almost, but not completely, doubled (about 45 minutes) and then bake it. Most bread requires between 5 to 10 minutes more cooking time than those made with pure triticale flour and using an instant-read thermometer is essential.
- Related Products
Customer Reviews 2 item(s)
- Triticale has an awesome flavor
- I have tried a great many different flours since using a bread machine for years. Triticale makes the best bread out of all of them. It has the best flavor and bakes up perfectly. I have not found anything negative about it.
- Triticale bread is great!
- I've been using triticale flour in place of whole wheat flour for years because it gives a nuttier flavor than whole wheat. When I serve a loaf of triticale bread to friends, they always rave about it and ask what it is. Try it for a great alternative to whole wheat.
- Nutritional Info
Serving Size: 1/4 cup (32g)
Servings Per Container: 21
Amount Per Serving % Daily
ValueCalories110Calories from Fat5
Total Fat0.5 g1 %Saturated Fat0 g0 %Trans Fat0 g0 %Cholesterol0 mg0 %Sodium0 mg0 %Total Carbohydrate23 g8 %Dietary Fiber5 g20 %Sugars0 gN/AProtein4 g8 %
Vitamin A0 %Vitamin C0 %Calcium0 %Iron4 %
* Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
whole grain triticale (wheat)
*Manufactured in a facility that also uses tree nuts, soy, wheat, and milk