Carob comes from the pods of the carob tree, a member of the legume family that grows along the Mediterranean Sea. The pod contains a sweet, edible pulp. Once dried and roasted, the pulp is ground into a dark brown, slightly sweet, richly flavored powder called carob powder. It is a healthy alternative to cocoa that is low in calories, contains no fat and is caffeine free.
Carob is an excellent substitute for chocolate or cocoa powder in cakes, cookies, smoothies, beverages and confections. To substitute carob powder for cocoa, replace one part cocoa with 1½ to 2 parts carob by weight. To substitute for chocolate, use 3 Tbsp carob powder and 1 Tbsp water in place of each square of chocolate. Try our recipes for Carob Fruit & Nut Brownies and Soy-Carob Bread on the package of this package.
Customer Reviews 6 item(s)
- Wonderful for Carob cake and carob milk fudges
- This makes a wonderful eggless carob cake. I tried a sample first and loved the flavor of carob to the moon and back. At first I was a bit doubtful about how tasted carob would differ from raw one. But I think it is due to this toasted carob the flavor of carob enhanced. I was really wonderful and a must try product. I think chocolate lovers would definitely fall in love with Carob and starts using this due to it's healthy nature and non-caffeine version
- Carob / Peanut Butter / Banana Smoothies
- I use a Vitamix blender for all my drinks. 2 frozen bananas, 2 tablespoons Bob's Carob Powder, 2 tablespoons of smooth, unsalted peanutbutter. Toss it all in, cover with almond milk and blend. I have one every morning before 2 hour swims or weight room sessions.
- makes a great banana bread!
- I made a great banana bread with it. It tastes so rich and my kids love it! Even that i cut back in the sugar it does not taste bitter, like some people believe.
- Almond milk and carob chai!
- I have created a hot chai drink using Bob's Red Mill Toasted Carob. Being both dairy and gluten intolerant I have a drink that is easy to make and ideal for cold Canadian winter evenings:|2/3 cup of nonsweetened vanilla |flavored almond milk|1/3 cup water|1 tsp. Bob's Red Mill Toasted Carob|1 dash of cinnamon|I heat the almond milk and water in a small pot and when hot add the carob powder and cin
- Nice Alternative to Hot Cocoa
- If you're into drinking homemade hot cocoa for the health benefits (high in antioxidants, reduces blood pressure) this makes a nice change-of-pace from natural or Dutch process cocoa powders. Has a roasted flavor somewhat similar to coffee. Certainly worth a try!
- The taste is excellent. I ...
- The taste is excellent. I do not have to add sugar. I mix it with an ounce or so of water before adding to organic unsweetened rice milk, almond milk or hemp milk. My only wish is for friendlier packaging. the crinkly, thin plastic bag is hard to deal with. The product must be emptied into a glass jar for storage in the refrigerator.
- Nutritional Info
Serving Size: 2 Tbsp (15g)
Servings Per Container: 34
Amount Per Serving % Daily
ValueCalories48Calories from Fat0
Total Fat0 g0 %Saturated Fat0 g0 %Trans Fat0 g0 %Cholesterol0 mg0 %Sodium5 mg0 %Total Carbohydrate11 g4 %Dietary Fiber2 g8 %Sugars7 gN/AProtein1 g2 %
Vitamin A0 %Vitamin C0 %Calcium6 %Iron2 %
* Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
toasted ground carob
*Manufactured in a facility that also uses tree nuts, soy, wheat, and milk