DetailsThe people of Northern Europe and Russia use rye as their principle bread and cereal grain. Although rye has always been a minor grain in the United States, with the current interest in whole grain eating, its use has been on the increase. The rye berries range from a golden hue to sage green. Often mistaken for moldy grains, the sage green color is unique to rye berries. Rye is a rich and versatile source of protein and dietary fiber, especially a type of fiber called arabinoxylan, which is also known for its high antioxidant activity. Rye is high in selenium, phosphorous, magnesium, copper, zinc and protein. Rye Berries can be cooked as a hearty breakfast cereal or ground in your own mill for the freshest rye flour available. The whole berries can be used in place of other whole grains like wheat, spelt and brown rice for a new twist on your favorite dishes. Rye can also be sprouted to use in salads and sandwiches.
- Related Products
Customer Reviews 4 item(s)
- Great grain
- I love rye berries. They have a wonderful, chewy taste and are so full of fiber that they keep me regular. In the winter, I am forever cooking them on the stove top. If I want to lessen the time it takes for them to thoroughly cook, I simply pre-soak them overnight. They go great with sea vegetables and almond slivers. They are a great substitute for rice in regular recipes since they are much
- Best Rye Berries Available!
- Best quality rye berries compared to several other places online. Very fresh quality.
- rye starter
- I used my berries by grinding them into flour and adding it to a rye starter. The starter is the best starter I have used. I have used all types of starters and this rye berries starter is the best tasting and smells the best. I make rye bread from my berries and hands down it is the best ever!
- I cooked these Rye ...
- I cooked these Rye Berries 2 ways. First just straight-up with salted water, then (par-grinding them in my blender) as a creamy hot cereal. Whole, they take quite a long time to cook, about 1.5 hours to "al dente" (worth the wait). The flavor is decidedly rich and grassy, with a silky, albeit firm texture. They would make a great addition in any recipe calling for brown rice or added (cooked whole
- Nutritional Info
Serving Size: 1/4 cup (45g)
Servings Per Container: 17
Amount Per Serving % Daily
ValueCalories150Calories from Fat10
Total Fat1 g2 %Saturated Fat0 g0 %Trans Fat0 g0 %Cholesterol0 mg0 %Sodium0 mg0 %Total Carbohydrate33 g11 %Dietary Fiber6 g24 %Sugars0 gN/AProtein6 g12 %
Vitamin A0 %Vitamin C0 %Calcium2 %Iron10 %
* Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
organic whole grain dark rye berries
*Manufactured in a facility that also uses tree nuts, soy, wheat, and milk