We have been blessed in Portland with a fairly cool summer this year, unlike many of you. While I personally, would love a few more really hot days, many of you are wishing for a break in the heat. Nothing makes an evening more miserable than turning on the oven or slaving over the stove making a hot dinner. We have some great recipes for grain-based salads that hit the spot when served cold and provide a filling meal on those hot nights. Each of these can be made ahead in the morning when it’s still cool in the house. Pair these with grilled vegetables and protein of your choice for a complete meal that will be sure to satisfy.
Here are my favorites. We have many, many more on our website, here.
- Bulgur Asparagus Salad (v)
- Black Bean, Corn and Quinoa Salad (v) (gf)
- Triticale and Roasted Eggplant Salad with Dill (v) [Note: you could use wheat berries, spelt berries or brown rice if triticale is hard to come by (which it probably is).]
- Couscous Salad with Walnuts and Feta Cheese
- Szechwan Peanut Salad (v) (gf- if you use a gf soy sauce)
- Zesty Quinoa Salad (v) (gf)
- Quinoa Salad (hazelnuts, currants, green onions) (v) (gf)
- Spelt and Edamame Salad [Note: you can use wheat berries or brown rice if spelt berries are hard to come by; use brown rice to make this gluten free.]
(v) = Vegan
(gf) = Gluten Free