As the busy mom of two special needs boys (one with autism), I understand the importance of a healthy, quick meal that my family will enjoy. My boys love meatballs and these meatballs are extremely flexible – you can mix them into a spaghetti sauce, serve them on GF buns for subs, or put them with gravy like I did. They also freeze nicely, so double up the recipe to have extras on hand!
- 1 lb. good quality ground beef
- 1/3 c. GF bread crumbs (*to make homemade, see below)
- 1/4 c. water
- 1 Tb. GF soy sauce
- 1 Tb. Italian seasoning
- 3/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 1 clove garlic (diced)
- ¼ small sweet onion (diced or run through food processor)
- 2-3 fresh mushrooms (diced or run through food processor) – optional
- 1 large egg
Place all ingredients in bowl and mix well.
Yummy meal idea: Remove meatballs, scrape pan drippings into a saucepan, add 2 cups water, salt, pepper, garlic and Italian seasoning to taste, and bring to boil. Whisk in 2-3 tbsp Bob’s Red Mill Brown Rice flour and stir til gravy is thickened. Place meatballs over a bed of cooked Bob’s Red Mill rice (we love the brown basmati!), and pour gravy over it all. Serve with your favorite steamed veggies.
* Homemade gluten-free breadcrumbs: I “discovered” this recipe by accident, but it works great!
- 1 cup COLD (refrigerated) flour – I use Bob’s Red Mill brown rice flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 4 tbsp water
Mix well, dough will crumble. Spread crumbly mixture onto a baking stone and bake at 400 for about 10 minutes, or until nicely browned. Let cool and store in an airtight container.