This easy and delicious recipe comes from Deena of Stay at Home Foodie. Deena is a reluctant stay at home mom with a passion for food and an even bigger passion for – what she calls – Family Fooding. For her, Family Fooding is about providing her family real, whole, delicious food. And it translates into her pledge of getting her kids in the kitchen to make sure that they grow up learning how to cook, identify and eat good, REAL, actual food. (There is a family debate over which is better, Peanut Butter or “Fake” Peanut Butter. Deena only stocks one in the house.) You can find her daily rants about food and her thoughts on family fooding at her blog: http://www.stayathomefoodie.com.
Hearty Vegetable Lentil & Barley Soup
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 cloves Garlic, sliced
- ½ White Onion, small dice
- 2 Carrots, small dice
- 2 cups Bob Red Mill Vegi Soup Mix
- 1 large can Crushed Tomatoes
- 6 cups Chicken Stock (can substitute vegetable stock for vegetarian option)
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 tsp Fresh Thyme
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- In a large, heavy bottom soup pot, heat olive oil and brown garlic, onion and carrots until soft.
- Add Bob Red Mill Vegi Soup Mix, crushed tomatoes and chicken stock. Stir to combine.
- Add bay leaf and thyme.
- Let simmer for at least an hour and up to 3 hours. Be sure that the lentils and barley are cooked through – yet still al dente for best texture.
- When ready to serve, taste to adjust salt / pepper.
- Serve hot with parmesan cheese for sprinkling on top and a side of crusty bread.