This recipe comes from Kerri Willoughby, a finalist in our 2012 Spar for the Spurtle. These oatmeal dumplings make a special treat for a cool, Autumn morning and would also be a fabulous dessert served with ice cream. They come together easily, but give the effect of something that took hours to prepare. To make this gluten free, simply replace the steel cut oats and thick rolled oats with our gluten free versions and use our GF Biscuit Mix in place of the Buttermilk Biscuit Mix.
Like Kerri’s video entry, this dish was fabulous- check out her video here. Cheers!
In a heavy bottom stock pot, combine and bring to medium simmer:
- 2 (12 oz.) packages of frozen Raspberries
- 1-½ cups of Sugar
- 1-½ cups of Liquid (Juice, Lemonade, Water, Red Wine, whatever strikes your fancy)
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
In a medium mixing bowl, gently stir together:
- 2-¼ cups Bob’s Red Mill Buttermilk Biscuit Mix
- 1-½ cups cold Milk
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp soft Butter
- 1 Tbsp Butter Flavored Granules
- 2 cups of cooked Bob’s Red Mill Steel Cut Oats (cook to package directions, include salt)
Drop the mixture by large tablespoons into the simmering raspberry liquid allowing room in between each. Cover; bring to an easy boil for 7 minutes. Turn off heat and allow to cool slightly. Remove lid and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
Serve dumplings warm with ice cream or freshly whipped cream, fresh raspberries, mint, oat granola (recipe follows), and cinnamon garnish.
OPTIONAL: For a delicious granola crunchy topping, combine:
- 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill Extra Thick Rolled Oats
- 1 cup small Pecan pieces
- 2 Tbsp each Sugar and Cinnamon
- pinch Sea Salt
Toast in a DRY heavy skillet until light brown.
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- ½ cup Molasses
Cook until it begins to get sticky, and then turn off heat. Serve hot or room temp.