Something about the weather today screams comfort food and, despite my love of hot soup, I can think of nothing better than delicious homemade pizza paired with a green salad for a *relatively* healthy meatless dinner tonight. Pizza is so simple to make and its versatility make it easy to please the pickiest eaters. I love this pizza crust recipe for its wonderful texture and flavor. The whole wheat flour and cornmeal give it a whole grain boost to take the edge off any pizza guilt. Pair with your favorite pizza sauce and toppings or see our suggestions below for inspiration. To further dull the pizza guilt, skip the typical mozzarella and use pungent cheeses (feta, blue cheese, Gorgonzola, etc) in small quantities to give you a real flavor boost without quite so many calories.
Whole Wheat Cornmeal Pizza Crust
- 1 Tbsp Active Dry Yeast
- 1 Tbsp Honey or Agave Nectar*
- 1 cup Warm Water
- 1/2 cup Medium Grind Cornmeal (if you don’t like too much crunch, try Fine Grind Cornmeal or Corn Flour)
- 1-1/2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 cup Unbleached White Flour
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
Combine honey and warm water, sprinkle yeast on top. Let stand 5 minutes to proof.
In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Add oil to yeast mixture and pour in dry ingredients. Stir to combine ingredients and scoop onto a flat surface. Knead until elastic, adding more white flour as needed, about 5-8 minutes. Place in an oiled bowl, cover and let stand until doubled, about 20 minutes.
Split dough into two rounds to make two 12-inch pizzas, or make one 16-inch pizza crust. Spread dough out onto greased pizza pans and cover with desired topping. Bake for 15-18 minutes at 400°F. Makes 16 slices.
To view nutritional information, click here.
*To make this vegan, simply substitute agave nectar for the honey and use your favorite vegan toppings.
Topping Suggestions for Meatless Monday:
- Shitakke mushrooms, roasted red peppers and goat cheese
- Sliced tomatoes, fresh basil and Gorgonzola
- Caramelized onions, roasted beets and feta
- Sun dried tomatoes, fresh mozzarella balls (1″ sliced) and dollops of pesto
- Here’s one that’s definitely not on the healthy options list, but one of our favorites: Veggie “chicken” nuggets cooked and chopped into 1″ pieces, caramelized onions and green peppers, pineapple chunks and BBQ sauce (use to coat nuggets) with a regular red sauce base and mozzarella.