Tis’ the season of summer for Polenta Marionberry Cake. Here at the Whole Grain Store they are going fast! Great for picnics, parties or tonight’s dessert! Add a side of ice cream, coconut or whipped cream, yum. They will only be available through June, so hurry in or make one at home with the recipe below. My only advice for this recipe is to, mix the glaze while the cake is in the oven and pour over the cake when it is still hot. This helps the glaze spread more evenly and soak into the cake. Not only does the lemon glaze add a delicately tangy zing to this cake, it also holds in the moisture. Hope to see you soon and Happy Baking!
Marionberry Lemon Polenta Cake & Cupcakes
- 2 cups Unbleached White Flour
- 6 Tbsp Corn Grits/Polenta
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Oil
- 1-1/3 cup Buttermilk
- 2 Eggs
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 1-1/2 cups Marionberries
- 3-4 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 cups Powdered Sugar
- Whisk wet ingredients and sugar together in medium metal bowl.
- Add dry ingredients.
- Fold in lemon zest.
- Scoop into oiled cake pan and drop marionberries on top. If making cupcakes, line muffin pan with paper liners.
- Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes for cake, 15-20 minutes for cupcakes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Whisk together lemon juice and powdered sugar for the glaze.
- When cake has cooled completely, pour glaze over cake.
YIELD: 1 9-inch cake or 1 dozen cupcakes