Recipes on May 27, 2010 by

Lemon Vegan Agave Muffins

Basket of delicious muffins ready to enjoy!Here is a fabulous recipe for Lemon Vegan Agave Muffins. Not only are these muffins egg and dairy free, but they contain no refined sugars! They are simply sweetened with agave and notice that they use chia seeds as a binder. If you are new to chia seed baking, look forward to an upcoming article all about these amazing seeds. Hope you enjoy the recipe!

Vegan Lemon Agave Muffins

2-1/2 cups Bob’s Red Mill Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt

Measure and combine.
1/2 cup safflower oil
1/2 cup rice milk
3/4 cup agave syrup
1 T. chia seeds mixed in 1/2 cup warm water
2 lemons juiced and zested

Incorporate wet ingredients and pour into dry ingredients. With a spatula or a wooden spoon, mix together until combined. Be careful not to overmix, or the muffins will become chewy. Bake at 350 degrees for 18-20 minutes. Makes 8- 4oz. muffins. Keep in an airtight container for up to 3 days, but of course they are best right out of the oven.

Comments

Michelle says:

Ahh Love this recipe!!! It’s so fun when you guys post these creative baking and cooking ideas with your products. Consider this recipe baked! 🙂

Mary says:

I’m going to try this for our (diabetic) household, but do what I do with our favorite muffin recipes: substitute Truvia (stevia) (8 pkts) for 1/2 cup of the Agave Nectar.

It is an acquired taste, but I’m seeing my blood sugar levels go down now that I’m using stevia. I think I’m eating less naturally sweet foods (I was eating TOO much of some fruits and veggies), now that I satisfy my sweet tooth in a better way.

BTW, I LOVE Agave Nectar in baking. It, too, is somewhat better on the glycemic index than most sugars.

Wish me luck, because this recipe sounds GREAT!

Meagan Nuchols says:

Thanks Michelle!

Meagan Nuchols says:

Great idea Mary! I hope there is enough liquid for your substitution. You could probably add more oil and rice milk to adjust it. Let us know how it works!Thanks for reading!

Lulu says:

What other flour would work well. I’m not able to have wheat flour and if so, would I need to modify the recipe at all? Thanks

Meagan Nuchols says:

Lulu, can you have spelt? If so I would try that with an additional 1/2 cup, making it 3 cups. If you cannot tolerate spelt, then I would try Bob’s Red Mill GF All-Purpose Flour or white rice flour. Let us know how it turns out!

[…] really wanted something lemony. So this muffin recipe from Bob’s Red Mill was already vegan and I had all the ingredients. The chia seeds as an egg replacer kind of took on […]

Katie says:

Can I use flax seed as a substitute for chia seed? If so how much do I use?

Katie- yes, you can replace the chia seed and water with 1 Tbsp Flaxseed Meal and 3 Tbsp water (mix to combine and let sit for a few minutes to begin the gel process, then substitute).

Katie says:

Thank you for your quick response! Can’t wait to try these delicious muffins

blip says:

Tried the flax sub described here in comments, added hemp powder, DELISH.
This recipe is just what i was looking for.