This recipe comes from Lori Twitchell, of Lemons and Lavender, and is part of our Bake a Healthier Holiday promotion with California Olive Ranch.
Iced Sweet Potato and Orange-Spice Loaf
- 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1 cup Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 tsp ground Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground Nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground Cloves
- ¼ tsp ground Mace
- 3 extra-large Eggs (at room temperature)
- 1 tsp pure Vanilla Extract
- 2/3 cup California Olive Ranch Extra Virgin Olive Oil (grown at Artois Ranch)
- ½ cup Golden Brown Sugar (do not use dark brown sugar)
- ½ cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup roasted and mashed Sweet Potato
- 2 Tbsp Whole Milk
- 2 tsp Orange Zest
- ½ cup chopped Pecans
- Orange Icing (recipe below)
- Preheat oven to 350° F and grease and flour standard size ( 8 ½ x 4 ½ x 2 ½ ) loaf pan.
- In a medium-sized bowl, add flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and mace, and mix together with a whisk. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or with a hand-held mixer, add eggs and blend on medium speed until well mixed. Add vanilla. With mixer running on medium speed slowly pour extra virgin olive oil in a steady stream into the bowl until fully incorporated with the eggs and vanilla.
- Add sugars, mashed sweet potato, orange zest, and milk and mix until combined.
- Add dry ingredients all at once and mix just until combined. Do not over mix.
- Add chopped pecans and fold into batter by hand.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and place into preheated oven for 55 minutes to 1 hour. The loaf is done when a wooden skewer is inserted and removed and a few crumbs remain.
- Cool loaf in pan for 10 minutes before removing to cooling rack. Loaf must be completely cooled before icing.
- Makes 1 loaf.
- 2 cups Confectioner’s Sugar, sifted
- 2 Tbsp fresh Orange Juice
- 2 tsp Whole Milk
- ½ tsp Orange Zest
- Mix all ingredients together with a wooden spoon and pour over loaf. Icing will be thick.