We love this recipe from Sarah of Daisy At Home! What a fun alternative to the rice pilafs and other grain dishes that we see every year! The spelt berries have a lovely chewy texture and the cranberries keep this dish perfectly seasonal. If you don’t have spelt berries handy, wheat berries or even brown rice will work in a pinch. Of her blog, Sarah writes, “Daisy At Home is a blog about life and cooking in Southern California. I love to use fresh, local, and seasonal ingredients while experimenting in my kitchen.”
- 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill Spelt Berries
- 1 cup roughly chopped Lettuce, such as Boston or Butter
- 1/2 cup dried Cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped Apples, fresh or dried
- 1/2 cup Slivered Almonds
- 4 Tbsp Honey
- 2 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Orange Juice
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground Black Pepper
- Cook spelt berries according to package directions, and allow to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine the spelt berries, lettuce, cranberries, apples, and almonds and toss to combine.
- In a small bowl or mason jar, combine the remaining ingredients and stir or shake vigorously to combine.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss to combine until well coated.