Known for their healthy omega-3 & 6 fatty acids and ample amount of fiber, flax seeds can be a great addition to any recipe. Whether it’s flavor, crunch, texture or health that concerns you, Bob’s Red Mill Flax Seeds provide what you need. For the month of January all of our flax seed products from organic golden flax seed meal to normal brown flax seeds are on sale. That’s right 20% off in our store and on the website.
In the bakery we use flaxseed meal to top our scratch biscuits, to amplify some breads, and mostly as an egg replacer. When added to a recipe, flaxseed meal will often change the texture of the finished product making it chewier and sometimes a bit dry, if extra moisture isn’t added. Whole flaxseeds are also used in many of our breads including our best seller, 10 Grain. Adding whole flaxseeds to a recipe will also permit a chewier texture, and a delicious crunch. If adding flaxseeds to yeasted bread, we recommend soaking them prior to mixing. This can be done by adding the flaxseeds to the allotted amount of water called for in the recipe. 30 minutes before mixing will suffice, but the longer the soak the better. Similar to all of our grains they are best kept in the fridge or freezer.
The following recipe is a vegan banana bread with an addition of flaxseeds. Try both kinds of flaxseeds, brown and golden, same nutritional value, just different color. This delicious bread is also great with blueberries or your favorite nut. Enjoy and Happy Baking!
Banana Flaxseed Quick Bread
- 1-¾ cups Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1 cup Light Brown Sugar (packed)
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Cinnamon
- ¼ cup Flaxseeds
- ½ cup Safflower Oil (or melted butter)
- ½ cup Soy Milk
- 1 cup Banana (mashed)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease 2 mini-loaf pans or one regular sized pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
- In another bowl mix together the soy milk and oil.
- Gradually stir into the dry ingredients, just until incorporated.
- Fold in the mashed banana.
- Spoon the batter into the pans.
- For a regular sized loaf, bake for 35-45 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean. Cook the mini-loaves 20-25 minutes.