Starting on Saturday, Portland is expected to stay well above 90°F for a while. When it gets that warm, I am not interested in slaving away in the kitchen over a hot stove or using the oven, but my family still needs a nutritious dinner. That’s why, this weekend, I will be serving savory pancakes for dinner. They are so easy and versatile AND I can whip up a batch on an electric griddle without creating a sauna in my kitchen. Plus, it’s fun. Everyone likes breakfast for dinner.
Sweet, syrup-drenched pancakes might not be the most appealing dinner for some. Here are some fabulous savory ideas to take dinner pancakes (or waffles) to the next level. You can use any pancake or waffle mix for these combinations, though we particularly like our cornmeal and buckwheat pancake mixes in savory applications. Watch the video at the end of the post to hear some of our employees’ favorite ways to enjoy pancakes.
Top your pancakes with…
- Sauteed greens, crisp bacon and a drizzle of maple syrup.
- A scoop of your favorite chili, a dollop of sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese and pickled jalapenos.
- Crumbled goat or feta cheese, sun dried tomatoes and freshly chopped basil.
- Diced ham, sliced green onions and shredded Swiss cheese.
- Black beans, salsa, sour cream and avocado (recipe below).
- Applewood smoked sausage, sauteed apples and Gruyère.
- Smoked salmon, fresh dill and cream cheese.
- Shredded chicken or pork, warm (or grilled) pineapple chunks, caramelized onions and a drizzle of barbecue sauce.
- Breakfast sausage, shredded cheddar and a fried egg (there’s nothing wrong with going a little classic).
- Leftover flank steak (or almost any meat), caramelized onions, bell peppers and mushrooms, and melted provolone cheese.
Savory Cornmeal Waffles with Black Beans
Sarah House for Bob’s Red Mill Test Kitchen
Prep Time: 15 minutes | Cook Time: 25 minutes | Yield: 4 servings
- 2 cups Buttermilk
- 2 Eggs
- ¼ cup Oil
- 2 ¼ cups Bob’s Red Mill Cornmeal Pancake Mix
- ½ tsp ground Cumin
- ¼ tsp Chili Powder
- 15 oz can Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup prepared Salsa
- Sour Cream, sliced Avocado and chopped Cilantro to garnish
Preheat a waffle iron to medium-high heat.
Whisk together buttermilk, eggs and oil in a bowl then mix in Bob’s Red Mill Cornmeal Pancake Mix, cumin and chili powder.
Follow manufacturer’s instructions to portion batter onto the preheated waffle iron or use about ¾ cup batter per waffle. Cook until golden and flip over if needed, about 6 minutes total. Keep warm in a 200°F oven.
While waffles cook, mix together black beans and prepared salsa in a small bowl. To serve, top each waffle with about ¼ cup black bean mixture and garnish as desired with sour cream, avocado and cilantro.