Recipes, Special Diets on April 9, 2014 by

Simple Coconut Flour Crepes

We weren’t sure what to call these little flatbreads, but finally decided on crepes. They are light, thin and perfectly flavored to go with sweet or savory toppings. This recipe is lightly adapted from a Grain-Free Tortilla recipe on Against All Grain and we recommend checking out Danielle’s beautiful blog for more grain-free recipes using coconut flour and other paleo-friendly ingredients. Top these with smoked salmon and cream cheese for a savory crepe or try fresh fruit and a drizzle of honey for something sweet.

These also make a great replacement for traditional wheat or corn-based tortillas. Use them for tacos, enchiladas or even as a sandwich wrap. There are endless ways to enjoy these and keep your gluten-free, low calorie or low carb diet on track.

Coconut Flour Crepes  | Bob's Red Mill

Coconut Flour Flatbreads/Tortillas/Crepes

Recipe by Sarah House for the Bob’s Red Mill Test Kitchen

Prep Time: 15 minutes |
Cook Time:  10 minutes |Yield: 8 servings

Step 1

In a small bowl, combine non-dairy milk and lemon juice and let sit for about 5 minutes.

Step 2

In a medium bowl, sift together Bob’s Red Mill Coconut Flour, baking soda and sea salt.

Step 3

Add milk mixture and egg whites to dry ingredients and whisk well.  Let sit for 10 minutes to thicken.

Step 4

Preheat an 8-inch skillet or crepe pan over medium-low heat.  Spray with pan spray then pour in ¼ cup of batter.  Quickly swirl the batter around the hot pan to make a thin layer which covers the entire bottom of the pan.  Cook until the center is set, about 1 minute.

Step 5

Loosen the edges with a spatula and gently turn over; let cook an additional 45 – 60 seconds.  Remove to a warm platter to prepare the remaining batter, making sure to spray the pan with pan spray between batches.

Each crepe contains: Calories: 70, Calories from Fat: 15, Total Fat: 1.5 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 250 mg, Total Carbohydrate: 5 g, Dietary Fiber: 3 g, Sugars: 1 g, Protein: 9 g, Vitamin A: 0%, Vitamin C: 0%, Calcium: 2%, Iron: 6%*

*Calculated using unsweetened, plain almond milk.

Coconut Flour  | Bob's Red Mill

Diana Collibs says:

I am sooooo excited right now! I thought I would never be able to enjoy tacos again because I eat gluten and carb free. You have made it possible for me to enjoy some of my favorites again. Thank you!!!! 😀

Kate says:

Great recipe! I have a lot of coconut flour to move up before a big move so this will help!

Trista Costantino says:

Is the 16 egg whites correct? That just seems like a lot of egg whites for the small amount of flour.

Yes, coconut flour requires A LOT of eggs and, because this recipe uses egg whites, it’s quite a lot.

Sarah says:

I want to know if you can substitute the eggs for Bob’s Flaxseed in recipes that call for large quantities of eggs because I’m vegan. Bob’s flaxseed package says that you can use 1 TBS flax plus 3 Tbs water to equal 1 egg. But how about in recipes that call for many eggs?
Thanks, Sarah

We wouldn’t recommend using flax in a recipe that calls for this many eggs. I would recommend looking into an egg replacer or using tofu in place of eggs. Coconut flour is really challenging without eggs, but it can be done. I’m not finding any good resources for you right now, but I will keep looking.

Cheryl says:

Hi, just finding this now. Can whole eggs be substituted for whites with good results? I have no need to go without yolks, and actually want them in the mix.

Yes, you can use whole eggs, but the crepes will be more dense and yellow. The egg whites are what is important to help these hold together, but if you bear that in mind, it should work alright.

Cheryl says:

Thanks! Tried it, and it is too eggy tasting with all the yolks. Might try a couple of them for flavor, but use mostly whites next time.

That’s great to know, Cheryl. Thank you so much for letting us know how it went. It will undoubtedly help others!

Nydia says:

Can I use a “All Whites” substitute? Three tbps equals one lg. egg. If I can use it,
do I still need the equivalent of 16 egg whites?

We’re not sure if that will work. We haven’t used the “all whites” substitute before.

shirley says:

If you substitute with whole eggs how many would you need ?

Because this is a recipe from a cookbook and not our recipe, we’re not entirely sure. Based on egg white to egg conversions, it looks like you’d need about 7-8 whole eggs.