Recipes, Special Diets on March 8, 2012 by

Coconut Flour Oven Pancakes

Lynn started blogging at Lynn’s Kitchen Adventures in 2008 to share her love of cooking and baking with others. In the fall of 2009, she was diagnosed with gluten intolerance and her kitchen has not been the same.  In 2010, she added a special section to her site to share special recipes, tips, and ideas for the gluten free life.

When I think of coconut flour for some reason I always think breakfast foods, muffins, pancakes, waffles etc. So, I often find myself trying coconut flour in my breakfast type recipes.

My family loves oven pancakes, the kind that are German pancake like, and that bubble up when baked. They are also known as Dutch Babies.

We love oven pancakes so much that I recently adapted the recipe with coconut flour to make it gluten free and we loved the results. When made with coconut flour, the oven pancake is not quite as light and fluffy, but it is so good and it makes a perfect gluten free breakfast.

Coconut Flour Oven Pancakes

Preheat oven to 400°F.

In a bowl whisk together eggs, coconut flour, salt, and milk until well blended.

Pour into a 9×13 pan and bake for 7 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F and bake 11-13 more minutes, or until the pancake puffs up in multiple spots.

Serve warm with butter and maple syrup.

Note: The pancake comes out of the oven bubbled up, but as it cools it will fall and flatten out.

by

Comments

Christian Butler says:

I love the Bob’s Red Mill, GF Pizza Flour! Do you have a yummy creative recipe for that?

We have several on our website. Please visit http://www.bobsredmill.com and search recipes by ingredient- using GF Pizza Crust Mix.

Donna Spencer says:

I copy many of Lynn’s recipes, so I know this will be good. She has awesome recipes

Cathy Clark says:

Thank you for another great recipe! I can’t wait to try it! I use Bob’s Red Mill Pancake Mix for pancakes made with vanilla and blueberries. Can’t wait to try coconut flour…I haven’t used it before.

[…] butter.     While I was searching for a recipe I came across this one from Bob’s Red Mill, German Oven Pancakes.     I made a few changes and it was superb!    I gave them the option to top with Homemade […]

Jill Oldehoeft says:

Just found this…will try it tomorrow!

Jill Oldehoeft says:

This recipe was not enough for a 9×13 pan…they are paper thin. Did I do something wrong or is the recipe incorrect? I think it’d be better in a 8×8 or 9×9.

Hi Jill,

It looks like she used a 9 x 13 pan. I’m sorry that it didn’t work out correctly for you. I’ll check with her to be sure and report back.

Lynn says:

I am sorry that you had trouble with it. It is a thinner pancake. More like a dutch baby type pancake, so it is thinner than a regular pancake. If you liked the flavor though, you could easily make it in a smaller pan. An 8×8 or 9×9 pan would work fine.

Erin says:

I would say definitely make this in a 8×8 pan. Also- I only used 1/4 tsp of salt and it was way too salty. I usually do not put salt in my puff pancakes and I wouldn’t in this one either. You can add 1/2 tsp vanilla and that is good! We always eat ours with yogurt or sour cream sprinkled generously with brown sugar. Sounds weird but try it!!! Sooo good.