Healthy Living on January 23, 2013 by

Where in the World?

globe

These days, it seems everyone is interested in eating locally grown products and buying locally produced goods. You know our products are made here in Oregon, but many of you want to know where the grains are grown. At Bob’s Red Mill, we strive to buy ingredients as close to home as possible. Because of the breadth of items that we offer, sometimes we must look outside of the Northwest and, indeed, outside of the United States for our grains. Some grains simply are not grown in the United States in any appreciable quantity and some grains are best grown in their natural climates (like the mountains of Peru or the cold expanses of Saskatchewan).

Here is a rundown of where many of our grains are sourced from to help give you an idea of what we do to bring the best grains to you.

• Amaranth: India, Peru
  • Rye: Saskatchewan
  • Soft White Wheat: Oregon
  • Spelt: Washington
  • Teff: Nevada
  • Triticale: Montana
  • Wild Rice: California

So there you have it. If you ever have a question about where a product comes from, just ask and we’ll find you the answer.

Comments

Cassidy, thank you for posting this list. I know there are many of us who will appreciate it. You know how I love Bob’s Red Mill!

Deb says:

Great information! Thank you for sharing your sourcing and transparency with your great products! Refreshing product integrity!

TMS says:

Thank you, Cassidy, for posting. It is important to know where things come from, and I’m glad to know that most product comes from the U.S. or Canada, except when appropriately foreign foods. I made my first purchase from Bob’s today.

Tim says:

What are the differences between, white wheat and red wheat as far as they apply to baking characteristics, protein, gluten content etc.?
Thanks
Tim

Tim,

White wheat and red wheat are very comparable in gluten content, however it is the soft versus the hard wheat that is relevant. Soft wheat has a lower protein/gluten content than hard wheat. Soft wheat is best used for baking where baking soda or baking powder is the leavening agent. See this post for more info about the difference between white and red wheat: http://www.bobsredmill.com/blog/recipes/hard-red-wheat-vs-hard-white-wheat/

Jane Lee Thompson says:

Hi, I LOVE your Garbanzo-Fava Flour but I’m curious where that’s sourced. Any insight you can offer would be great. Keep up the good work!

Our garbanzo beans are grown here in the USA and our fava beans are sourced from Peru. We mill the flour in Oregon at our World Headquarters. Hope this helps!

bill says:

Thank you for this information.

Do you know which of the farms you get your grains from use RoundUp or some other dessicant to dry their crops out before harvesting. This question is critical in evaluating how much glyphosate we will ingest when eating any non-organic grain. In your reply, could you give us a sense of how much you procure crops from farms that rely on this practice. Thanks in advance for your help.

In the USA it has become commonplace at non-organic farms to dry out the crops by killing them, in order to speed the harvesting and reduce the strain on equipment (apparently, being more robust, living wheat places a strain on the machinery). The chemical of choice for this practice is glyphosate, which proves highly effective at killing living things (unless they’ve been bio-engineered to withstand this chemicals destructive power). So, in addition to dousing GMO crops with RoundUp in order to kill weeds, farmers also spray non-GMO wheat, oats, alfalfa, flax, and other grains in order to increase the profitability of their yield.

Sheri Adams says:

Hello we use a large majority of your product in the making of my dog biscuits. I would like to know where sorghum and chickpea flour comes from I looked at your list and I did not see sorghum listed. Emphasize that our ingredients for our products are grown and made here in United States. To a sure that I know that we are actually getting our product from United States and grow here in United States please send me a list of where all of your products are grown especially sorghum flour rice flour chickpea flour and spelt. Would you also please send me information about spelt flour and why the gluten is different from the wheat or white flour now. I have ran this by my vet and he said spelt flour is safe for dogs in people with celiac disease but I don’t understand the concept of its genetic make up that makes it so different from regular white or wheat flour. Please be so kind to send me the information I have requested to the email listed above I purchased a lot of your products from Byler’s market in Canton Ohio and would like to continue doing so as long as I know the products are made here and a grown in the USA.
Thank you so much for your time and effort in my requests and look forward to your response soon

Sheri,

Thank you for reaching out with these questions. I will have someone from customer service follow up with you.

Liz says:

Where is your sorghum grown? Thx.