September is one of our favorite months at Bob’s Red Mill. Of course, I could probably say that about any month- we’re a pretty happy bunch here. We love that the weather is turning cooler, forcing us to move inside and relish in our baking again. The air has a perfect crispness, just like a really good apple. The farmer’s markets are brimming with produce that is just begging to be baked into pies or canned and preserved for the dark days of winter. Kids head back to school, giving parents a much-needed break during the day. Football season starts again, as baseball winds down. I mean, it’s just a really great month. There is so much to be celebrated!
September is also National Whole Grains Month and that is, in our opinion, the very best thing about September. All of the above things can be celebrated with some delicious whole grains. We’re not talking about just baking whole wheat bread or serving brown rice at dinner, we’re talking about fabulous pies crusts, chewy pizza dough, homemade crackers… really, we could go on and on. Whole grains are so versatile and each offers different flavors and textures to breathe new life into your meals. Not to mention that they are full of fiber, protein and vitamins. Swapping whole grain kernels for white rice or pasta is easy. Replacing half or all of the flour in your recipe with whole wheat flour can increase the nutrition of your recipe, as well as bring a new flavor to the baked good. There is almost nothing that can’t be done with whole grains. Sure, making a white cake is a little challenging, as are some of the more fine pastries, but a blend of half white and half whole wheat pastry flour can yield surprisingly delicate treats.
Here are some of our favorite whole grain recipes to try for every meal of the day. To get you started, we’re giving away a sweet $50 gift card for our website so you can stock up on your favorite whole grains and maybe even try something new. See below for details on how to enter.
GF: Gluten Free
- Flake Whole Wheat Pie Crust Perfect for your favorite apple pie.
- Sundried Tomato, Kalamata Olive and Basil Pesto Focaccia: It’s a bit indulgent, but a perfect use for all of that basil in your garden.
- Raspberry Oatmeal Bars (GF, V)
- Wild Rice and Millet Seasonal Stuffing from Soundly Vegan (GF,V): Who wants to wait until November for stuffing?
- Whole Wheat Pearl Couscous with Peas and Mint (V, if parmesan is omitted): Make this gluten free by using our whole grain sorghum in place of the couscous.
- Curried Carrots and Sorghum Salad (GF, V): Have you noticed that we post this one over and over again? It is that good.
- Amaranth Polenta with Wild Mushrooms from Lorna Sass (GF)
- Millet Fritters with Feta, Spinach and Golden Raisins from Gluten Free Girl & The Chef (GF)
- Steel Cut Oat Risotto with Mushrooms and Walnuts (make it gluten free by using our GF Steel Cut Oats). Bonus: this recipe uses summer squash and is a perfect way to use up the hoard collecting on your doorstep from all of your well-meaning neighbors.
- Sopa de Quinua (GF, V)
- Hearty Wild and Brown Rice Soup with Autumn Vegetables from Pepper Lynn (GF)
- Creamy Mushroom and Grains Soup (V)
- Barley Hash from Lorna Sass (V): Make this gluten free by using our brown rice farina, millet grits or gluten free corn grits.
- Sweet Millet Congee (GF, can be made Vegetarian)
- Multigrain Waffles
Win a $50 Gift Card for Bob’s Red Mill.com
It’s a pretty simple process, but we’ve had some complaints about the entry system, so here are some basic directions.
1. Post a comment on this blog post telling me your favorite way to use whole grains.
2. Sign in to the app below (either make an account or sign in with your Facebook account).
3. Click on “I did this.”
4. Follow the directions in the app for further entries.
If you don’t click on “I did this” or don’t leave a comment on the post, you will not be entered. The other options are not mandatory, so if you can’t figure them out, no big deal.
I will pick a winner at random from all who enter by 12:01 am on 9/12/13.